Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Parking On Double Yellow Lines

edwardio

Ok I heard on Radio 1 sometime within the last 2 days, that there's a guy who keeps getting off paying fines when he parks on Double Yellow Lines. He does this by saying that the Double Yellow Lines he parked on are illegal, therefore he gets off of paying the fine. Even an official in the guys area stated, that 'most' of their double yellow line were legal! So there are lines out there that aren't!!

From what I know & heard, the following must apply to a Double Yellow Line:

1) Must have a line across each end of the double lines to indicate the end.

2) Must be unbroken. (The lines must not be broken for the total length)

He was getting off because the lines he parked on broke at least one of the points above. So either there wasn't an 'ending line', or the double lines were incomplete due to road repairs completed after the line was painted and a new bit of line was not put on the repaired part, or similar.

Now on my way into work this morning I was checking all the double lines. Now I'd say about 50% were going by these points, illegal. Now does the unbroken rule apply to drains! As only half of the drains I passed, were painted to fit in with the lines. The rest were unpainted and therefore could be seen as 'braking' the lines.

So I'm just asking if anyone knows if this is true?

For legal reasons! I am not telling anyone to park on double yellow lines or support people who do. However if you do and plan to test the above infomation, I'd suggest you take pictures of the lines that you park on, as you'll need it for your defence should the information be true.

Saw that report on Look North the other night!

This is the bloke's website,

Clicky

:thumbsup:

The same rules apply to any road furniture, markings, road signs etc, it also applies to how people are arrested and dealt with, if it's not done by the book, you will get off the offence. That is how the solicitor, Nick what's his name works. He goes through the details of peoples arrests, parking tickets, whatever it is, and finds loopholes in the way procedures are carried out. There is an official handbook on how parking bays, lines, disabled bays have to be marked out, if they dont meet the criteria, then they are illegal

Kingo :thumbsup:

Ok I heard on Radio 1 sometime within the last 2 days, that there's a guy who keeps getting off paying fines when he parks on Double Yellow Lines. He does this by saying that the Double Yellow Lines he parked on are illegal, therefore he gets off of paying the fine. Even an official in the guys area stated, that 'most' of their double yellow line were legal! So there are lines out there that aren't!!

From what I know & heard, the following must apply to a Double Yellow Line:

1) Must have a line across each end of the double lines to indicate the end.

2) Must be unbroken. (The lines must not be broken for the total length)

He was getting off because the lines he parked on broke at least one of the points above. So either there wasn't an 'ending line', or the double lines were incomplete due to road repairs completed after the line was painted and a new bit of line was not put on the repaired part, or similar.

Now on my way into work this morning I was checking all the double lines. Now I'd say about 50% were going by these points, illegal. Now does the unbroken rule apply to drains! As only half of the drains I passed, were painted to fit in with the lines. The rest were unpainted and therefore could be seen as 'braking' the lines.

So I'm just asking if anyone knows if this is true?

For legal reasons! I am not telling anyone to park on double yellow lines or support people who do. However if you do and plan to test the above infomation, I'd suggest you take pictures of the lines that you park on, as you'll need it for your defence should the information be true.

I'm not sure how true it is about the unbroken lines, but there's a pair broken yellow lines in front of a job I'm doing in the city that with a gap thats about 5ft long.

Even if it wasn't true about the broken lines not working, I'd love to see one of those half car things park in the gap just to confuse the wardens.

It's not really legal though is it? It's just pulling them up on their regulations & getting off on a technicality, you couldn't exactly park where you like because double yellows don't mean anything anymore

It's not really legal though is it? It's just pulling them up on their regulations & getting off on a technicality, you couldn't exactly park where you like because double yellows don't mean anything anymore

it's legal in the fact that it isn't illegal.

This doesn't apply to ALL double yellows Kev, just the one's that aren't properly done.

There are strict rules that have to be adhered to in order for Double Yellow lines to be legitimate - nomatter where they are. The law is very exact and specific in order to remove grey areas and technicalities - if the line painters didn't do the job TO THE LETTER then it's not fair to expect the motorist to be the one who should pay is it ?

The wheelclamping law is even more specific than the double yellow one - not many people are aware of the finer points of that one either.

Yeah, I think it's only fair, I think we all know some1 who's been done on a technicality. I know somebody who was done because he parked about 1" further ahead than he should have done. He wasn't somebody who was ignoring the law so they shouldn't have done him but seems as they're prosecuting everyone to the letter of the law I think people should get off by applying the law in the same way. If the wardens are fighting dirty why shouldn't the general public?

I still think the thread name & description was a bit misleading though

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links