Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Prius Tyres

ak1948

I have a 2006 Prius and in December changed the tyres from original Bridgestones to Michelins. The mpg has increased by 20%! Iused to get about 53mpg in town on the Bridgestones and now get only 43mpg on the Michelins. Has anyone out there changed tyres to Michelins and had a similar problem?

I have a 2006 Prius and in December changed the tyres from original Bridgestones to Michelins. The mpg has increased by 20%! Iused to get about 53mpg in town on the Bridgestones and now get only 43mpg on the Michelins. Has anyone out there changed tyres to Michelins and had a similar problem?

:D Hi

I presume you mean that your mpg has decreased? As Im aware Toyota stopped using Michelins because of increased tyre noise and drag, this could explain as any extra drag on a vehicle will increase mpg, also check your tyre pressures set them at 2.2 bar, some garages are misreading the information and setting them at 22psi .

This may be a stupid question: Did you do the tyre calibration as stated in the handbook? If this was not done you would get inaccurate MPG readings.

I have seen Toyota cars in showrooms with michelins fitted, must admit though they were not Prius cars.

This may be a stupid question: Did you do the tyre calibration as stated in the handbook? If this was not done you would get inaccurate MPG readings.

I have seen Toyota cars in showrooms with michelins fitted, must admit though they were not Prius cars.

Sorry, what exactly do you mean by the 'tyre calibration as stated in the handbook' - could you explain please? I have looked in my handbook and can find no reference to 'tyre calibration' in the section which deals with tyres.

If you have not done the tyre calibration I think it may affect your MPG readings I am not sure if it is the problem but the calibration must be done aftyer tyre change.

Go to the Prius navigation system manual page 111. You have to go to the calibration screen and touch "tyre change calibration".

Doing this will adjust the miscalculation caused by the difference in circumference between the old and new tyres.

If this is not done vehicle position mark will be wrongly shown.

Please note this information is in the PRIUS NAVIGATION SYSTEM MANUAL NOT the Prius Owners Manual.

Hope this does solve your problem.

Chris.

If you have not done the tyre calibration I think it may affect your MPG readings I am not sure if it is the problem but the calibration must be done aftyer tyre change.

Go to the Prius navigation system manual page 111. You have to go to the calibration screen and touch "tyre change calibration".

Doing this will adjust the miscalculation caused by the difference in circumference between the old and new tyres.

Please note this information is in the PRIUS NAVIGATION SYSTEM MANUAL NOT the Prius Owners Manual.

Chris.

Thanks for this Chris - I didn't know it existed! I have re-set the calibration so let's see what happens with the mpg reading.

I'll let you know when I've clocked up a few miles...

Chris.

Thanks for this Chris - I didn't know it existed! I have re-set the calibration so let's see what happens with the mpg reading.

Hi Chris. I have done the recalibration and no change, my Prius is still returning a measly 42/43 mpg. What is even more annoying is that I have written twice to Toyota about this and they haven't even bothered to reply.

Checked my computer reading today. I am getting 49.6 MPG and that is urban driving. My Prius has Bridgestones. I have always had Michelins on all my cars except on my Avensis which had Dunlops. I do like Michelin tyres. Can you contact Michelin or your local Toyota dealer about your fuel consumption since the tyre change? I cannot understand why Toyota have not replied, you could phone the customer help line and complain.

I am told in warm weather you get a better MPG on the Prius than in the Winter.

Suggest you check your tyre pressures are 35 PSI front & 33 PSI rear.

Let me know what you find out please.

Regards Chris.

tyres

i have read very much about toyota prius before i bought my first prius i read the report of andrew grant

200.000 miles in twenty five months as taxi driver owner

i don,t know if the complete details are still on the web but andrew grant gave detail of complete service history

parts replaced and most of all most inportant detail about tyres if its still on the web under andrew grant or

toyota prius yellow cab driver vancouver ?

in my experiance as a long standing driver of most cars when car companys of today design a car

every detail is considered and that can be tyres road noise how it handles on diffrent tyres and toyota

would put the right tyre on the prius for the job when so much development went in to such a valueble car

so bottom line be original and stay with the tyres your car comes with and keep preasures correct

i say this because i cover many miles myself and want the best out of the best in economy of fuel

service and tyre wear and handleing i am on my 3rd prius and never had less than 52 miles per gallon

and at best summer time 60 miles per gallon my prius i have today one month old from new 4000 miles allready

i love this car and sometimes think the prius dose all the driveing i just go along for the ride

yours doutfire

Hi doutfire,

You certainly do a fair few miles. Notice the fuel consumption I quoted for my car was all urban driving. I suspect yours was major roads motorways etc.

With regard to the tyres fitted to the Prius by Toyota. They are not all the same, I have bridgestones. My sons new prius has a different make fitted. At the moment I cannot recall the name of the tyres he has fitted but I have never heard of them. What make of tyre do you have on your Prius?

The Avensis comes fitted with varied makes of tyre including michelins.

I really cannot see how fitting michelins to the Prius can so drastically alter MPG. Although this seems to have happened in the case of ak1948.

I do agree with what you say about driving a Prius. I think it is the best car I have owned. Although it nearly got written off today when a huge foreign lorry failed to give way to the right on a roundabout. Good job the Prius has excellent responsive steering and brakes.

It would be good to get the tyre question sorted.

Happy motoring. Chris.

• 4 weeks later...

You need to be clear about what model tyres you are using. Manufacturers have many different models, you cannot just say Bridgestone are better than Michelins.

Toyota have done most things possible to get the very best mpg from the Prius such as using covers over the alloy wheels, using thin engine oil etc. so I suspect the standard fit tyres are ultra low resistance ones.

Don't forget that the Bridgestone OE tyre is specifically designed for the Prius as it has a very low rolling resistance. Other brands might be the same physical size but not designed for high mpg's which might explain the difference in mpg. I intend to stick to the Bridgestone's when mine are due for replacement.

My sons new Prius does not have bridgestones?????

Toyota will change suppliers if a better deal comes along. Whatever manufacturer they use they will make sure the actual tyres meet a certain spec, they may even be specifically designed for the Prius. This is why you will see a decrease in mpg if you just fit standard tyres and not the exact OEM model.

• 3 weeks later...
My sons new Prius does not have bridgestones?????

Hi Chris,

Could you let me know what the tyres are on your son's Prius please, as mine are coming up to 32,000 miles and need changing? I have looked at the American Prius site but it seems they have different size wheels and models which you cannot seem to get over here.

Thanks,

Steve

Hi Stompe,

Sorry for not replying sooner but have been away.

I have a BIG apology to make. My son does have Bridgestone tyres on his car he misread the name on the tyre. there are two names on the Bridgestone tyres.

It looks very much as only Bridgestone tyres can be fitted to the Prius. I would like to know what Michelin have to say about this.

On my journey to the North my Prius showed an MPG of 52.9 MPG.

• 1 year later...

my prius has avon av9 tyres is this ok does any one know

My Sept 2009 T-Spirit came with Michelin Pilot Primacy 215/45 on its 17" wheels as standard.

I have run it through the winter on 15" wheels with Continental Winter Contact 195/65 and it didn't seem to make much difference to the MPG.

My consumption figures have started to improve a little as the weather is getting warmer but I am only seeing marginal differences.

Have you given the tyres time to bed in? I recently changed my front tyres and found a similar drop in economy that you refer to. I was so concerned after no change after a couple tanks of fuel that I contacted the dealers. They said its normal and it should balance out after about a 1000 miles.

Sure enough, I have noticed a steady increase in my mpg and now on my fourth tankful (about 1000 miles) I am pretty much back to normal mpg.

Have you noticed this too?

My Sept 2009 T-Spirit came with Michelin Pilot Primacy 215/45 on its 17" wheels as standard.

My December 09 too.... Michelin Pilot Primacy on 17" wheels.

Chris.

Hi Chris. I have done the recalibration and no change, my Prius is still returning a measly 42/43 mpg. What is even more annoying is that I have written twice to Toyota about this and they haven't even bothered to reply.

I changed my front tyres recently and found that the mpg dropped quite badly as was getting about 42-43 mpg :eek:

I thought they seemed to be improving as they bedded in, but no I was still getting 42mpg on average. On a long run I managed 50mpg where I would normally have got 60mpg! I have today been to the dealers who thought they'd replaced the fronts with like for like Bridgestone B250's.

It appears the B250's on the Prius as new and the B250's sold in the UK are COMPLETELY different tyres. Word of warning - Do NOT replace with B250's - they are not the same. The Japanese version the Prius comes with is a B250 Ecopia (low resistance tyre) whereas the UK (made in Poland) B250 is an economy (as in cheap) tyre.

Been in communication with my dealers since the tyres were changed two weeks ago as the mpg loss was worrying. Been to see them today and they have agreed to replace the new B250's recently fitted with some new Bridgestone ER300 Ecopia's to see if this will rectify my very poor mpg. To assist they also replaced the engine oil with 0w20 just incase they'd accidentally filled it at last service with 0w30. They don't believe they did but thought it a small costing to try and rectify the mpg.

So, we shall see if the Prius will return to its super mpg or whether I now have an expensive car that gets the same mpg as an Avensis. :help:

Will keep you updated.

Update :

The new Bridgestone ER300 Ecopia's are fantastic. They've done the trick. My mpg's are back to normal, the car is much quieter and handles smoother.

So be very careful what tyre you get when you come to change. Do NOT replace with B250's and if you want to stick to Bridgestone, then I'd recommend the ER300 Ecopia's.

It is nice to get my mpg back to normal again. Just been on a nice airport run of about 200 miles and averaged 60 mpg :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Update :

The new Bridgestone ER300 Ecopia's are fantastic. They've done the trick. My mpg's are back to normal, the car is much quieter and handles smoother.

So be very careful what tyre you get when you come to change. Do NOT replace with B250's and if you want to stick to Bridgestone, then I'd recommend the ER300 Ecopia's.

It is nice to get my mpg back to normal again. Just been on a nice airport run of about 200 miles and averaged 60 mpg :thumbsup:

Well done. That's really useful info. Thanks.

Got my fronts change a coupla weeks ago, after 19K miles, Bridgstone 'Turanza' ER300 (the old ones were ER30)Fule consumption did dip for a while, but a couple of long runs seemed to bed them in,and my MPG figure is climbinbg steadily again now. OFC the upturn in the weather may have helped too!!