Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Avensis 1.8vvti Engine Rattle

dad44738

hi people lets hope you guys can help me!

I have owned a 1.8 vvti vermont estate for last three months and it has started to show the oil problems of many owners ie.a tapping noise when cold through the lower gears when warm it drives sweet.My thoughts were that I needed to change the engine block but after reading peoples forums I learnt that it affected engine blocks with zz1 numbers, my engine block is EZ1 does that stand for excange? Has the block been exchanged already? So if it has what is this noise? I have just had the car serviced and as I pulled away from my local garage the engine rattled away so this is not a low oil level problem.The car has just turned 80,000 miles and drives great, Could it be a oil starvation problem on cold starts?When I lift the bonnet there is a slight rumble from the left front of the engine could this be with the timing chain or tensioner? Also and this is a weird one when I drop the passenger window it sounds as though I can hear a clicking sound reflected off the vehicles that I pass not a lot like a cricket ( the insect)! any help you guys can give me will be mega appreciated.

1- Does it use oil, If yes How much per week / month

2- he ratteling you describe, is it comming from the top of the engine, (ie tappets, or bottom end rattle/ knock)

3- You can buy a compression tested from Halfords. - Test the compression on all 4 cylinders.

Go to toyota, give reg number.. they can tell you if engine block is orginal.

1- Does it use oil, If yes How much per week / month

2- he ratteling you describe, is it comming from the top of the engine, (ie tappets, or bottom end rattle/ knock)

3- You can buy a compression tested from Halfords. - Test the compression on all 4 cylinders.

Go to toyota, give reg number.. they can tell you if engine block is orginal.

Hi cmia thanks for the help, as I use the car very little at this stage I cannot determine oil consumption. As the car has just been serviced then it cannot be low oil,and the noise is more of a rattle than a knocking so I doubt if it the bearings.I spoke to my local garage and they said that it could be a problem with the vvti system as it is only prominent at low revs and when cold, and from the sound coming from the left of the engine rocker cover when you are looking at the engine with the bonnet up,also when it is in neutral you can hardly hear it but when in drive the rattle appears when cold.I have not been able to check the compression yet but will do as soon as possible, am awaiting an e.mail from toyota regarding engine number, any thoughts on the vvti system having any problems? the car pulls very well and there is no smoking from the exhaust,thanks bill.

VVTI is the cam profile

VVTI does not be engaged in lower revs.

Does the sound go away when warm ?

or is it more apparent ?

VVTI is the cam profile

VVTI does not be engaged in lower revs.

Does the sound go away when warm ?

or is it more apparent ?

The sound dies down very quickly even before the engine is half warm,once up to temperature it is quiet and runs very well.when cold the rattle is quite loud through 1st and 2nd gears but seems to slow down as you move up through the gearbox and is only prominent at around 1000-2000rpm.any ideas?

What kind of engine oil do you use ?

The oil was changed by the garage on its first service so I do not know as it has not needed a top up yet, I think I might get a long screwdriver and start the car and listen at various points to see if I can determine the point of the sound.I used to do this on motorcycles and if you listen carefully you can pinpoint a sound quite well.I will try at the weekend to see if I can get to the bottom of this.

• 2 weeks later...
hi people lets hope you guys can help me!

I have owned a 1.8 vvti vermont estate for last three months and it has started to show the oil problems of many owners ie.a tapping noise when cold through the lower gears when warm it drives sweet.My thoughts were that I needed to change the engine block but after reading peoples forums I learnt that it affected engine blocks with zz1 numbers, my engine block is EZ1 does that stand for excange? Has the block been exchanged already? So if it has what is this noise? I have just had the car serviced and as I pulled away from my local garage the engine rattled away so this is not a low oil level problem.The car has just turned 80,000 miles and drives great, Could it be a oil starvation problem on cold starts?When I lift the bonnet there is a slight rumble from the left front of the engine could this be with the timing chain or tensioner? Also and this is a weird one when I drop the passenger window it sounds as though I can hear a clicking sound reflected off the vehicles that I pass not a lot like a cricket ( the insect)! any help you guys can give me will be mega appreciated.

I have had a problem with my 2004 Avensis 2.0vvti where the engine is making a pinking/rattle especially more up hills, my local dealship cant seem to sort this problem, but i know one of the technicians and he told me to try Excelium Unleaded fuel instead of normal cheap unleaded, and this has solved the problem about 95% and the car seems to run slightly better, try changing fuel first.