Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Speed Sensor Problem

salaam

first post so i am hoping can help me out here.

i have a rav4 xtr on a 55 plate. today my speedometer and odometer have both stopped working. i am guessing the speed sensor has become disconnected, corroded, broken or all of the above. went to my local Halfords, not much open on a bank holiday, to get a haynes manual but none in stock. can somebody kindly scan the relevent section in pdf format or similar to help me out here? any other ideas are kindly welcome.

many thanks in advance...

The speed sensor plug is near the back of the gearbox when viewed from under the bonnet - close to the drive shafts. I remember one owner had some success by pulling the plug off and squirting some WD40 or similar on it.

I'm afraid all the manual says is "undo the bolt and remove the speed sensor" so I'm afraid it wouldn't be much good sending you the pages. I think that if cleaning the plug doesn't work then changing the speed sensor is best bet.

Good luck

thanks anchorman you were spot. found it no problem, took off the plug sprayed her up reconnected and sorted.

downside of this problem is that you lose the cruise-control. the upside is that annoying alarm is not activated when driving with a dead-weight on the passenger seat for the seat-belt activation.

many thanks...

thanks anchorman you were spot. found it no problem, took off the plug sprayed her up reconnected and sorted.

downside of this problem is that you lose the cruise-control. the upside is that annoying alarm is not activated when driving with a dead-weight on the passenger seat for the seat-belt activation.

many thanks...

Ask your dead weight to sit in the back or put the seat belt on!!!

Glad you're sorted :thumbsup:

• 4 years later...

I've suffered this failure every year at about this time and the WD40 fix never seemed lo last very long. I used 'DuckOil' a couple of weeks ago & the speed has not lost a beat yet!

I have found that electrical contact cleaner gives longer lasting results and then after reconnecting,giving it a squirt of silicon sray.

Del

• 3 years later...

My Rav4.2 suffered for  a couple of years each winter from speedometer failure when  'The speed sensor plug near the back of the gearbox when viewed from under the bonnet - close to the drive shafts' gets wet from rain water - not surprising it being located so low down.  WD40 was not a permanent fix, I got tired of failures so I removed orange seal and replaced it with an 'O' ring 3mm, thick 10mm inner dia, 16mm outter dia.  The plug is very tight to push into place with 'O' ring but it has run for several years now with no more failures.