Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Problem With My News Yaris

Lucie

My previous yaris 2002 had squeeky brakes and a few ppl on here said it was a design fault. so now after having my new yaris for vertually dead on 2 weeks im hearing squeeks when breaking. :( as it only happened yesterday for the first time and a few times while ive been out today (happening not long into the journey then seeming to be ok) could it be a case that the brakes are needing to warm up in some way? is that even a credible suggestion? tbh i hate getting new things because there always seems to be a problem and because of my old yaris having this problem ive been keeping an eye on the brakes and now this.any advice would be appreciated.i dont relish the idea of taking it to the dealership and suddenly it being ok when they test it only for it to start again as soon as i leave or them saying its fixed only for it to start again as soon as i live the garage (as what happened with my old yaris)

also inregards to the other thread about the gearbox. it does seem a little harsh/noisey changing gear espeically from 1st- 2nd. kinda feels like it jumps at bit, the gears not the actual car

Lucie: There are currently a few issues regarding squeaky brakes on all models, it is to do with the type of material used in the brake pads, call your local dealer, they should be able to advise you. My Auris was squeaky for ages, but it has now been sorted. I would get a few miles on your car before worrying about the gearbox, your dealer would tell you the same, as it is too new to be stripping down. Just make sure you don't have incorrect carpets (sometimes people even use two or three together!) that will reduce the amount the pedal can be depressed, so you are not using the full clutch. wait until you have done at least 1000 miles and make a judgement on the gears then.

Kingo :thumbsup:

thanks.yeah the gearbox isnt so much an issue sometimes i think its with it being a new car and just getting used to it.

what i said about the brakes needing to be warmed up as the squeeking seems to happen together just as im stopping and then it seems to be ok the longer i drive. would that be a viable reasoning?

Lucie: There are currently a few issues regarding squeaky brakes on all models, it is to do with the type of material used in the brake pads, call your local dealer, they should be able to advise you. My Auris was squeaky for ages, but it has now been sorted. I would get a few miles on your car before worrying about the gearbox, your dealer would tell you the same, as it is too new to be stripping down. Just make sure you don't have incorrect carpets (sometimes people even use two or three together!) that will reduce the amount the pedal can be depressed, so you are not using the full clutch. wait until you have done at least 1000 miles and make a judgement on the gears then.

Yup, I definately found the gear change a bit stiff when I first started driving my diesel Yaris SR. Now with just over two months on the road and 3000+ miles it's great.

Am still loving the Yaris :)

thanks.yeah the gearbox isnt so much an issue sometimes i think its with it being a new car and just getting used to it.

what i said about the brakes needing to be warmed up as the squeeking seems to happen together just as im stopping and then it seems to be ok the longer i drive. would that be a viable reasoning?

That is exactly the fault, right at the end of light braking you hear the squeal. There are some modidfied parts available, call in at your dealer and discuss it

ive just been out for a spin in the car and the squeeking happened 2 or 3 times. its more intermitent than anything else. but yes as u say thats exactly the fault its right at the end of light breaking as u are coming to a stop.

thaks for your help im gonna give me dealer a call now. *edit* just called them and booked it in for friday tried to sound professional like i knew what i was on about quoting parts-king post lol so hopefully it will get sorted.unfortunaly giving past work done by this dealership im not sure. hopefully its changed abit in the last 5 years or so

im also hearing continuas faint squeeks when i get upwards of 60 or so on the motorway. anyone else has this? only noticed it due to the radio being turned off. sounds like theres a mouse in the engine.u probably wouldnt notice it unless you were looking for the noise but i wonder if its connected to the break squeeks which funnily enough havnt happened in the last 2 days since i booked it into the garage.

i remember the first time i drove on the motorway with my yaris, i thought the engine could not cope with more than 50 mph...

It's fine now... Also, the gears seemed to have loosened up now... I kind of make that i depress the clutch as much as possible :)

i was on about quoting parts-king post

Oh gawd...........dont mention me name wahtever you do :lol:

Lucie: There are currently a few issues regarding squeaky brakes on all models, it is to do with the type of material used in the brake pads, call your local dealer, they should be able to advise you.

Hey, could you give us a few more details on this problem? Is it just affecting new models fitted with these pads? And what's the fix? New pads?

squeaking brakes doesnt mean theres anything actually wrong with the brakes, it just depends on the compounds that the pads and discs are made of. so yeah new pads made of a different compound would fix it.

care went into today. they checked the brakes cant find anything wrong. gave then a clean etc. and tbh since i booked the car in last week the squeeking had stopped.the guy said maybe the brakes were just bedding in.he said they had a problem with auris car brakes but that was being sorted now and the yaris were built to order unlike the auris. checked the gear box over said it was ok. but the sound/buzzing type thing i was hearing at 40mph and over was to do with the air con. mentioned something about a ball baring type thing that needed replacing in the AC system and that was causing the noise. anyone know exactly what that is. so the cars gonna be in the garage until wednesday getting fixed.

got the car back yesterday seemed to be pretty decent service. they even vacumed and washed it. so far ive only had one little squeek out of the brakes as i pulled into my garage yesterday but touch wood its been ok when out and about. maybe it is just bedding in. abit annoying though that they havnt really done anything about it.mind you i think they went out on a 30 or so mile test run.if i remember how many miles i had done correctly. did they go out for a day trip in it!! lol and if they heard nothing while out i guess theres not much they can do?.just have to keep an eye on it i guess as the brakes were the bain of my old yaris. havnt really tested whether the aircons ok yet but the sound it was making was very quiet anyway. you could only hear it very slightly if the radio was turned off. the gears are starting to ease off aswell. still abit awkward between 1st and 2nd and going up to 1st but they are getting there

Gearbox really does get better.

I have now done 3000 miles and it's great.

Bad news is it's in the garage now for a new clutch (Judder when cold)

Lets hope they don't screw up the great gear change.

Contary to what the garage told me the brakes do not bed in. Now at 3000 miles and they grind as you come to a halt.

The courtesy car has 1,500 miles on the clock and the brakes do not grind.

Contary to what the garage told me the brakes do not bed in. Now at 3000 miles and they grind as you come to a halt.

The courtesy car has 1,500 miles on the clock and the brakes do not grind.

What do you mean by 'grind' - a squeal noise? a scrape noise?

As you brake and just before the car stops you get a rough grinding noise.

Like your front brake discs are covered in rust.

what exactly is juddering on gear change. is it like its jumping when someone releases the clutch to quickly?

what exactly is juddering on gear change. is it like its jumping when someone releases the clutch to quickly?

It feels like the engine is struggling to remain alive... As a result the car starts shaking...

It feels like the engine is struggling to remain alive... As a result the car starts shaking...

That is not a very accurate description of clutch judder

Just type "Juddering on gear change into "Google".............................You will soon see that this is not unique to the Toyota Yaris

(Ford, Audi, BMW, Land Rover, Rover, Mazda,Volvo, Vauxhall, all have this..........................and that is just the first page of results) :rolleyes:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links