Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Cam Belt Change

coolsam

Hi All,

I'm new to this forum and need help/guidance from you guys.

I've recently bought 1998 R plate Avensis 1.6 GS that's done only 40K miles (i've verified this through the service records and mot certificates).

Going through the service manual , i realized that the cam belt needs to be replaced 60K/5 yrs. Don't have the info as to when it was last changed. To be safe than sorry, I want to get it changed!!

Having done my R&D on the net, It looks like I should also get the following changed:

1. Tensioner,

2. Idler Pulleys,

3. Water Pump,

4. Adjustable Pulleys,

5. Other drive belts.

Could someone help me figure out what the items 2, 4 and 5 are and how many of each are there on this model?

Also, could the cam belt be at risk of snapping if I don't change these items butonly change the belt and the tensioner? What will be the approx cost of the entire job?

Thanks,

Coolsam.

The only thing which needs changing is the Timing Belt.

The 4A-FE engine is not the same as say a Golf or Polo engine. On those the water pump is driven by the belt and Should be changed at the same time.

Similarly the Tensioner/Idler wheel on these engine is of an extremely high quality (it is made of steel and has sealed bearings. It is good for at least 100K). There is only one wheel/pulley/tensioner within the system which is classed as a 'service item'. If it spins freely when you get the covers off, leave well alone. Again, for a VW engine it should be changes due to it's poor design/quality.

The water pump is good for about 90k miles.

Drive belts only need changing if they are showing signs of wear. My old Carina E had 122K on the clock. It had the original water and power steering belts.

If you are going to change those two you may as well change the air-con belt as well. But you're wasting your money.

There are virtually no reports of the timing belt snapping. the belt will cost £20 (original Toyota). Labour is 3 hours chargable. your looking at £150-£175. the pulley wheel is about £35 (original)