Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Steering Wheel Pointing Right....wheels Are Going Straight!

smoftah

Hello everyone,

Over the past couple of months my steering wheel is pointing more the right (at about 10 past 12 - if it were a clock) while the wheels are pointing straight. I took it to Kwik-Fit who looked at the tracking and they said the tracking is fine of both front & back.

The car does not pull to either side.

I spoke to Mr T who said I need a camber test and they wanted £98 to carry this out with no gaurantee it will fix the problem!

Do I definately need a camber test? if so is this a reasonable price?

Any help much appreciated! :thumbsup:

Doesn't sound good :wacko:

I'd check the wear on the tyres - if both fronts are wearing more on the left side than the right side (i.e. left tyre more worn on the outside edge than inside edge and right tyre more worn on the inside edge than outside edge) or visa versa then you have a camber problem.

\-\ or /-/ if you know what I mean

Both tyres need to be worn on different sides otherwise your steering wheel would be at 12 o'clock /-\ or \-/

Could be that one wheel is out |-/ for example but wouldn't of thought this would have given you so much steering wheel offset.

Hope that helps

Check your tyre pressure as when I had a flat rear left the wheel pointed right to go in a straight line!

i think it somehting simple that can be adjusted! ie straightening the stearing wheel! im sure its just matter of telling the mechanic and they'll be able to do it! it has to be jacked up or on a ramp tho, thats all i can remember btw! my dads old rover had the problem and it was fixed in a matter of minutes! if it is the same problem like the rover then its not the tracking or the camber!

if its not pulling then its nothing too serious! my car is like that at the mo, where the stearing wheel is pointing to the left when the wheels are straingt n its not pulling!

Again thanks for replies, I wondered about just taking the steering wheel off and asked Toyota if they could do it for me because of the air bag and they said no, for legal reasons if something was wrong blah blah blah...

flumpsfriend - sorry did not see your post earlier! I will check for tyre wear in the morning :thumbsup: thanks

flumpsfriend - sorry did not see your post earlier! I will check for tyre wear in the morning :thumbsup: thanks

:lol: I don't know why I bother ;) :lol:

OK just been outside and had a little look.

Two front tyres were replaced 3 months ago, but put the new ones on the back.

When I took my car in to Toyota about a 2 months ago they punctured the front tyre and replaced it with a new one for free.

So the front has a tyre with about 6 -7 mm on and the other front tyre has 3 - 4 mm.

Could this be it?

very few peoples steering wheels are on perfectly straight, i know mine isnt.

just take it off and put it back on straight lol

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links