Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Power Steering Problems

carday

Just after xmas my 03 plate D4D developed a rattling noise, I initially thought that it was the Aircon as I had this problem on a Ford Mondeo (spit). However after seeking professional advice from a garage it was decided that the power steering pump was at fault, we replaced the pump with a secondhand one rather than the expensive "NEW" one @ £430.00+fittiing+vat, unfortunatley the noise problem was still there. The pump taken off and a second pump was fitted this week, still the noise is there.

The mechanic suggested that the fluid should be changed which he did but again this did not cure the noise problem, I have noticed that when the car is being driven and it is travelling round a right hand bend or corner the steering seems to stick momentary before return to the centre position.

We have discussed this at detail and wondered whether there may be a fault with one of the valves in the steering rack and if so whether this could be the cause of the noise from the pump.

Seems strange that the original pump and 2 secondhand pumps all have the same noise.

I also read somewhere that the problem might not be the power steering pump but could be tha aircon pump ??? :blink::huh:

You are aware that the avensis suffer from rattling steering racks when the grease within them gets used up

No mate I wasn't and I don't think my mechanic was either because he has never had any of the new AVENSIS'S in yet except mine so it's a learning curve for us all. Can the racks be greased back up or do they have to be replaced

You are aware that the avensis suffer from rattling steering racks when the grease within them gets used up

No mate I wasn't and I don't think my mechanic was either because he has never had any of the new AVENSIS'S in yet except mine so it's a learning curve for us all. Can the racks be greased back up or do they have to be replaced

Yes they can be greased up.

I would look at the steering coloum first, before you spend any other money.

Powersteering pumps, generally dont fail,

When they do start to fail, they make a groaning noise with a tappety tapptey noise

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links