Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

My Own Modification Schedule

crazyman50000

Current fitted :

Upgraded HU, sub, Speakers [*]

Brighter interior light (LED)

Interior light delay (close door, light stays on so you can find the key barrell) [*]

LEDs in the centre heater ducts linked off back of heater matrix

COGA PA horn fitted [*]

Silver coloured bee sting aerial [*]

New mats

Ongoing :

Callipers painted to match colour of the car (or close)

Possibles :

Assuming I keep the car for another year - maybe 16" alloys (currently has 14")

If not, Ill drop this idea and have a 2.0 Corolla diesel.

Not all great ideas I know. But the items with a [*] Ill remove / put back standard when I sell the car anyway

sorry to mess up your thread...

Just wondering if bigger wheels really affect the performance of the car?

Doubtful. Probably make it slower tbf. I just want some to fill the arches / mine were scratched when I bought the car.

If I'm gunna replace em, might as well do it properly.

Hi!

is your yaris a Mrk I or II? i think you should get some alloys next! they really change the look of the car if you get some that suits the car. nothing over the top! You might want to lower it as well to get the whole sporty look. I still have my standard steel wheels, i want to get alloys and lower too, but im too poor! :P stil a student u see! hehe.

One question tho, where did you get the interior light delay? ive been thinking about them :) they any good? and also the LED interior lights? :D

And if you get bigger wheels, it lowers the acceleration, but the top speed is faster.. i think :P but unless your car is a proper sports car, i doubt you will feel much difference. :thumbsup:

Thanks. It's a MK1. I've already got 14" alloys on it. I don't want to lower it as I like the ride comfort :D and I know 16"s will fill the arches nicely which is what I want.

Delay kit was £12 off eBay (search for interior light delay)

Interior light LED is just a 31mm festoon LED bulb IIRC (36 will fit with a squeeze) - about £4 - £5

Interior light delay was a !Removed! to wire in and compromises central locking.

Depending on which one you get, I had to connect the black to the 'on when door open' cable (red IIRC) then yellow to chassis / ground. Because now, even with ALL the doors shut, the central locking system will register a door being open and refuse to lock until the light goes out. It does however lock off the key, just not the fob. Just be wary of the fact :)

Interior light LED is just a 31mm festoon LED bulb IIRC (36 will fit with a squeeze) - about £4 - £5

Interior light delay was a !Removed! to wire in and compromises central locking.

Just out of interest and my own clarification, did the central locking stop working after you fitted the interior LED bulb or after fitting the interior light delay?

Delay. And it still works, you just have to wait for the light to go out (Y)

ah cool - thanks for that, it's something I want to do too :)

Regards

thanks for the info. Fair enough on the lowering, it makes the car look nice for sure, but it does make it bumpy and a hard ride!

As for the interior light, did you have to take off the whole light piece to fit it? (the whole grey thing on the roofing) I had trouble taking off the clear plastic where the bulb is!! lol :P Did you fit LED's to both the front lights as well as the one at the back?

Ps, (crazyman) Is ur Yaris Ph1 or 2? i dont know if the lights and stuff are the same. ive got ph 2. It shouldnt be that much different :P

Thanks. It's a MK1. I've already got 14" alloys on it. I don't want to lower it as I like the ride comfort :D and I know 16"s will fill the arches nicely which is what I want.

Delay kit was £12 off eBay (search for interior light delay)

Depending on which one you get, I had to connect the black to the 'on when door open' cable (red IIRC) then yellow to chassis / ground. Because now, even with ALL the doors shut, the central locking system will register a door being open and refuse to lock until the light goes out. It does however lock off the key, just not the fob. Just be wary of the fact :)

16's will turn it into a 4x4 if you dont lower it!!! At least get the TTE springs!

Am I right in thinking that when Yarii are having 16" 17" and sometimes 18" wheels fitted, that in some or all cases the tyres aren't being reduced in profile to make the overall circumference of the wheel/tyre combination the same as standard?

Surely putting a larger diameter tyre/wheel on has a number of effects such as under-reading speedo error, acceleration and top speed variations, not to mention the numerous posts saying 'my handling is crap on bigger wheels' or 'I can't have more than 1 bag of T*sco shopping in my car before the tyres scrape in the arches'...

Yeah bigger wheels look better up to a point, just curious what's being fitted on some cars :)

Having read some articles on here a while back, i remember someone saying 16's are the biggest without having to do any work on the car.

If you fit 17's, you will have to take off one of the screws sticking out under the wheel arch, otherwise it will rub. Also, i think they mentioned something about sanding the actual arch, because when you turn, it also scrapes.

Im not 100% Sure, but what i am sure about is that some one will pop by who will know more than I! :lol:

oh yeah, and i heard that if you get massive wheels (dont know what size) it will effect the speedo. THink Johnny is right...

E.g. (just a wild guess) 18" Wheels=Higher top speed=Car may be faster than what the actual speedo says. about 1 or 2 mph off.

Like i said, i only remember this from what i read... so this might all be wrong.. :P the thread should stil be on here somewhere..

I don't know what the stock tyre size is on a yaris but as far as I am aware the following sizes are about the nearest match to what I think is the stock tyre:

Stock: 185 60 x 14"

then: 195 50 x 15"

then: 195 45 x 16"

then: 195 40 x 17"

So in effect there shouldn't be any problems fitting a 17" wheel upgrade because all the above sizes are almost exactly the same overall dimensions regarding diameter and width as the stock 'balloon' tyres.

Of course if the tyre profile isn't lowered in accordance with the increase of wheel size then a bigger diameter and possibly a wider wheel/tyre will be the result, and that would lead to speedo errors and problems with scraping. This all depends how much bigger the wheels are compared to what *should* be on there, and how much of the wheelarch wants filling...

Mine are 175/65/14. And thats standard, i haven't changed my wheels at all from brand new.

And yeah, it depends on the type and size of wheels etc etc if it will scrape or not. This subject has been covered before somewhere on TOC :P

I was close to getting some mods before, but turned out too expensive for mee :( i will eventually lower my car tho!

Mine are 175/65/14. And thats standard, i haven't changed my wheels at all from brand new.

And yeah, it depends on the type and size of wheels etc etc if it will scrape or not. This subject has been covered before somewhere on TOC :P

I was close to getting some mods before, but turned out too expensive for mee :( i will eventually lower my car tho!

175 65 x 14" to 195 45 x 16" is within 0.2% diameter and just slightly wider. Sorry if it's been covered elsewhere, I haven't come across it but it's bound to pop up every now and then :)

Best of luck with the mods, please everyone keep letting us know and put some pics up when you can :)

ive got 195/45/16s on mine - without lowering - to be honest, they do look alot nicer - especially when theres a few in the back lol, but if the cars empty, its pretty raised up - tyre diameter is identicle to original (more or less) so speedo is fine

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links