Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Sterling Versus The Euro

Bizarra

Only cheap place to go on hols at the moment for the Brits is the USA and other countries that use, or whose currencies are linked directly to the US Dollar (quite a few Caribbean countries are like that).

I get really Peed off when people talk about wanting a currency with "the queen" on it and cheer about these 'Metric Martyr' idiots :wacko: - Time moves on people!

Having said that, it is tricky to have 20+ Countries using the same currency but all with very different economic priorities and systems. The UK not adopting the Euro at the outset is partly down to that, and partly down to the politicians not having enough balls to join the Euro at the outset as they feared electrol backlash.

Oh - and every country within the Euro zone does have its own identity on the coinage - it is just the notes that are common.

Yes time does move on, but i don't recall anyone mentioning the queen here? I actually used to quite like the fact of going abroad and getting to use their "own" currency, it was part of the whole experience. As I am sure is the case when anyone travels to the UK for a holiday. Since they all went to the Euro, I have actually avoided going to Europe and went further afield where it is not in use.

I can understand why the EU was brought into force to make regulations national, for example Health and Safety. But yet I can't see how it is favourable at all for ourselves to switch to the Euro. Our economy has it's flaws but it is strong none the less compared to most.

Did the EU not try to bring in its "own" language years ago that was understandable by all? Can you imagine if they told us all to move to the one language?

:censor: to the Euro!!

I was for the principal of using the same currency as everyone else, you were the one that mentioned the EU controlling monetary policy. A different issue that I agree with you on, nope if we were to adopt the currency I am for keeping the monetary policy under our control or your control as its set by the bank of England and the UK Govt.

...which is exactly what you cannot do if you only have one European currency.

In the UK, we set the value of the pound in relation to other currencies as it suits us. The ECB controls the value of the Euro. We can't adopt the Euro and at the same time set its value so that it suits us.

That is the big problem. The Greeks, Italians etc. need lower interest rates and a bit of help, whereas the Irish and the Brits need to keep interest rates up for a while. How can you do both with only one currency?

Paul.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links