Photo

Please Help Me Replace Brake Light Bulbs!

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 PrinceOfDarkness

PrinceOfDarkness

Club Member

• Registered Member
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
  • Toyota Model: 2.0 Avensis Spirit Tourer

Posted 05 April 2008 - 11:39 AM

one of my brake light bulbs have gone, so i'm trying to replace it. i can't figure out how to get the bulbs out of the car! i've taken a pic to show you the rear light cluster from inside

i think you have to fiddle with the prongs but i can't figure it out

any help appreciated as i don't want to get pulled by the cops!

thanks

Posted Image

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#2 gazza1286

gazza1286

gazza1286

• Registered Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 867 posts
  • First Name:Gary
  • Gender*:Male
  • Toyota Model: Avensis 1.8SE 2000; MR2 MKII - Rev3 1996; Avensis 1.8 TR 2008; Celica VVTL-i 2005
  • Year: 2008

Posted 05 April 2008 - 12:30 PM

Prince

I don't have your model, but check the Owner's Manual. Toyota always give extensive instructions as to how to change all light bulbs. (at least for all the cars I've owned)

#3 Penfold

Penfold

Advanced Club Member

• Registered Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 126 posts
  • First Name:Barry
  • Toyota Model: 1998 Avensis 2.0 GLS and 2001 Corolla GLS
  • Year: 1998

Posted 05 April 2008 - 02:55 PM

As gazza says - check the book as the instructions are generally clear.

From the picture it looks like you have to pinch both prongs in each set together and pull it out of the cluster. You should then be able to acess the bulb to remove it as usual (push, twist, pull)

#4 T600

T600

Top Rank Poster!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,965 posts
  • Toyota Model: Auris T180, MR2 GT T-Bar

Posted 05 April 2008 - 03:04 PM

As they said - owners manual is the place to look.

On quite a few Toyotas you have to unbolt the entire cluster before you can change any of the rear bulbs. That may be the case with your car.

#5 cmia

cmia

Top Rank Poster!

• Registered Member
  • 1,442 posts
  • Toyota Model: avensis

Posted 05 April 2008 - 03:40 PM

pinch the connectors
pull..
change the bulbs
press in

#6 PrinceOfDarkness

PrinceOfDarkness

Club Member

• Registered Member
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
  • Toyota Model: 2.0 Avensis Spirit Tourer

Posted 05 April 2008 - 06:41 PM

ok thanks guys

the manual isn't great to be honest. having said that, it doesn't appear to be a complicated job, but you can't get both your hands in a position to grasp both prongs at the same time! i'll give it another go tomorrow

thanks again

#7 JWL

JWL

• Registered Member
  • 15 posts
  • Toyota Model: Toyota Avensis T4 Tourer

Posted 31 March 2009 - 12:17 PM

one of my brake light bulbs have gone, so i'm trying to replace it. i can't figure out how to get the bulbs out of the car! i've taken a pic to show you the rear light cluster from inside

i think you have to fiddle with the prongs but i can't figure it out

any help appreciated as i don't want to get pulled by the cops!

thanks

Posted Image

Did you manage to do this? I have exactly the same problem. I tried Toyota World in Solihull, they said that it would take 15 minutes for their technician and cost 20. I find this absolutely ridiculous to change a simple light bulb. I tried Halfords who offered to change it for 3 but failed to manage it. So, I plan to have another go. It looks like I am going to have to dismantle quite a bit of the trim in the boot. The manual is hopeless, there is just one picture which is less clear than yours. There are a few arrows which suggest that you need to push the prongs apart while pulling the assembly out. I can't manage this through a hole which is only just big enough for one hand. Your picture helped since it makes it clearer that the prongs probably need to be squeezed rather than pushed apart. I tried again and for a moment thought that I was getting somewhere but finally I had to give up.

I am very disappointed in this car. I bought it second hand as an approved used car from a Toyota dealer. I had hoped that it would be boring, cheap, and reliable. It has only managed one of those (guess which). I had lots of problems with it. They were all fixed under the warranty but it was very time consuming and irritating.

#8 Heidfirst

Heidfirst

Top Rank Poster!

• Registered Member
  • 2,489 posts
  • First Name:Scott
  • Toyota Model: Avensis Tourer 2.2 D-4D T-Spirit
  • Year: 2012

Posted 31 March 2009 - 12:39 PM

changing lightbulbs on recent cars (not just Toyotas) doesn't seem easy.
I recently upgraded the front bulbs in my Avensis which was very fiddly & tbh we (I had a car literate friend assisting) gave up on the parking lights as we just couldn't get the bulb sockets to turn as the manual said ...
Following that experience he went to check on his Volvo & I checked on my mother's new Focus - on both you have to remove the whole front light assembly from the car to change bulbs (the Volvo seemed to have a lever, the Ford involves a screwdriver).

#9 JWL

JWL

• Registered Member
  • 15 posts
  • Toyota Model: Toyota Avensis T4 Tourer

Posted 31 March 2009 - 12:50 PM

changing lightbulbs on recent cars (not just Toyotas) doesn't seem easy.
I recently upgraded the front bulbs in my Avensis which was very fiddly & tbh we (I had a car literate friend assisting) gave up on the parking lights as we just couldn't get the bulb sockets to turn as the manual said ...
Following that experience he went to check on his Volvo & I checked on my mother's new Focus - on both you have to remove the whole front light assembly from the car to change bulbs (the Volvo seemed to have a lever, the Ford involves a screwdriver).

True. I had a Volvo V70 before this Toyota. It was also very hard to change the bulbs but, if I asked the dealer nicely, they would change them for just the cost of the bulb. Prior to the Volvo, I had a BMW525 Estate, and I could change the bulbs myself. I am not getting another Toyota. I also said that about the Volvo but if for some reason I had a choice of only the two, I would go for the Volvo. I should have stuck to BMW. The 525 was my third and I liked all of them. This is not just because of the 20 bulb change, that is just the last straw.

#10 Aamir2892

Aamir2892

Advanced Club Member

• Registered Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 342 posts
  • Toyota Model: Avensis Tourer T-Spirit 2.2 D4D 2005 (55)
  • Year: 2005

Posted 31 March 2009 - 04:08 PM

You pull the four long tongs then it should come out. Took me half hour to do mine first time. VERY fiddly with one hand. When you put it back in make sure you do it correctly. I ended up having the indicator bulb in the housing so i had to take the whole lamp housing out to get the bulb out!

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users