Advanced Club Member

• Registered Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 346 posts
  • Gender*:Male
  • Toyota Model: Rav4 4.2 3 Door 55Reg

Posted 06 April 2008 - 09:09 PM

Turtle Wax Platinum Extra Gloss
This won the Auto express best wax award - what do you use?

Thanks

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#2 demondriver

demondriver

Club Member

• Registered Member
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • Toyota Model: corolla gti 16v twin cam

Posted 06 April 2008 - 10:57 PM

being a car valeter i use many polishes meguiars is one of my favourites which i use on my own cars ive found it is a very good polish and leave a good deep shine to all paint surfaces!!

#3 Red Yaris 54

Red Yaris 54

Top Rank Poster!

• Super Moderator
  • 19,031 posts
  • First Name:Red
  • Toyota Model: New Yaris Trend -Decuma Grey- Sons Aygo "Ice"
  • Year: 2013

Posted 06 April 2008 - 11:02 PM

Autoglym Aqua Wax is very easy to apply to a damp car after washing and gives some good results. :thumbsup:

#4 Notebook

Notebook

Advanced Club Member

• Registered Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 346 posts

Posted 07 April 2008 - 10:55 AM

being a car valeter i use many polishes meguiars is one of my favourites which i use on my own cars ive found it is a very good polish and leave a good deep shine to all paint surfaces!!

Is this for use after you have washed it? Please can you explain the best way to go about it -eg wash wax polish etc and which Meguiars to use. The rav4 is carbon colour.

Thanks

#5 Robert6920

Robert6920

Advanced Club Member

• Bronze Member
  • 496 posts
  • Toyota Model: For me it's the Rav4 D4D Luna (2012) and the better half has a Rav4 1.8 Luna 5 door (2005) - plus a 1978 model CB750 K78 (oh dear!)
  • Year: 2012

Posted 07 April 2008 - 06:26 PM

There was a thread on here recently that exstolled the virtues of Concours-look Carnauba wax P21S, sold as R222 in Europe. I tried some on the better half's Rav 4.2 on Saturday and we are both super impressed. Dead easy to put on, no residue, easy shine. This evening, after snow, frost etc, she said again how bright and spangly it looked - I agree. It was the easiest wax I've ever used.

Mine is going to get a shine this weekend...

#6 T600

T600

Top Rank Poster!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,965 posts
  • Toyota Model: Auris T180, MR2 GT T-Bar

Posted 07 April 2008 - 09:08 PM

eg wash wax polish etc

It's polish, then wax notebook.

I like the Megs products, though I don't have much experience of other polishes apart from Autoglym which I used for years.

I get the impression that a lot of detailing people like most of the Meguiars products apart from the wax, but there hundreds of companies producing different waxes, so everyone seems to have their favourite.

I'm currently using the Meguiars products with their NXT wax which is more of a sealant than a traditional wax. It gives great results IMHO.

#7 Notebook

Notebook

Advanced Club Member

• Registered Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 346 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 09:39 AM

eg wash wax polish etc

It's polish, then wax notebook.

I like the Megs products, though I don't have much experience of other polishes apart from Autoglym which I used for years.

I get the impression that a lot of detailing people like most of the Meguiars products apart from the wax, but there hundreds of companies producing different waxes, so everyone seems to have their favourite.

I'm currently using the Meguiars products with their NXT wax which is more of a sealant than a traditional wax. It gives great results IMHO.

So to get this correct
wash
polish
wax
Thanks

#8 T600

T600

Top Rank Poster!

• Advanced Members
  • 2,965 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 10:17 AM

So to get this correct
wash
polish
wax
Thanks

Essentially yes.

Depending on the condition of your paintwork the steps may require extra stages - e.g. cleaning might require the use of a clay bar after the wash, or you might need corrective action as part of the polishing stage to remove scratches or to treat faded paintwork, but fundamentally the three main steps are:-

Clean (wash, clay etc) = clean off dirt and contaminants
Polish = get the paintwork itself free of scratches and other imperfections etc
Wax = protective lay of wax, or sealant, or sealant + wax on top of your polished paintwork.

Once you've done the three main steps correctly you can get away with just Wash + Wax because polish only required if something goes wrong - i.e. new scratches introduced, or paint fading because wax wasn't re-applied in time etc.

#9 Notebook

Notebook

Advanced Club Member

• Registered Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 346 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 10:31 AM

So to get this correct
wash
polish
wax
Thanks

Essentially yes.

Depending on the condition of your paintwork the steps may require extra stages - e.g. cleaning might require the use of a clay bar after the wash, or you might need corrective action as part of the polishing stage to remove scratches or to treat faded paintwork, but fundamentally the three main steps are:-

Clean (wash, clay etc) = clean off dirt and contaminants
Polish = get the paintwork itself free of scratches and other imperfections etc
Wax = protective lay of wax, or sealant, or sealant + wax on top of your polished paintwork.

Once you've done the three main steps correctly you can get away with just Wash + Wax because polish only required if something goes wrong - i.e. new scratches introduced, or paint fading because wax wasn't re-applied in time etc.

Thanks for your advice.

Tiny scratches near the key locks - whats best for these? - is there any online guide to all of this type of work?
Also
I ahve read alot of good reviews on meguires stuff - any good?

last Q's
wash with a mit?
what to use to apply polish - electric buffer?
also wax - hand or buffer? - or is this a definate no no

thanks

#10 T600

T600

Top Rank Poster!

• Advanced Members
  • 2,965 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 10:41 AM

Thanks for your advice.

Tiny scratches near the key locks - whats best for these? - is there any online guide to all of this type of work?

Depends how deep the scratches are, and what your paint type is.

DetailingWorld.Co.Uk is the best place for advice on this type of stuff IMHO. Search on there, or if you don't find the answer then post up some pics.

Also,

I ahve read alot of good reviews on meguires stuff - any good?

Yes, I think so. Seems popular, though as I said, plenty of people prep with Megs, then use Dodo Juice or other Wax on top. I use Megs wax though.

last Q's
wash with a mit?

Always! Sponges trap dirt and that can create scratches. And use the 2 bucket method.

what to use to apply polish - electric buffer?

Yes, if you're removing scratches they make it soo much easier. The new Megs machine is Orsum I think - not the very best, but for the money it's fantastic.

also wax - hand or buffer? - or is this a definate no no

Some people do, but not much point to be honest. Polishing is hard work, whereas with Wax it's just a question of applying it evenly and wiping off the residue. It's overkill and you probably get a better result by hand.

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users