BadBoyVTEC

Top Rank Poster!

• Registered Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,081 posts
  • Gender*:Male
  • Toyota Model: Aygo (Carbon Quartz)

Posted 10 April 2008 - 07:42 AM

For those of you interested I found this on eBay today http://cgi.ebay.co.u...tem330226085309 I would love to give it a go and probably would consider it if I didn;t use my car for work. Let me know if any of you buy it.

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#2 Phoenix999

Phoenix999

Top Rank Poster!

• TOC Supporter Plus
  • 3,966 posts
  • First Name:Steve
  • Toyota Model: Auris Excel Touring Sport Auto
  • Year: 2013

Posted 10 April 2008 - 08:03 AM

I like the word 'prototype' in the item description :huh: Which, to me, means that they don't really have a clue if the unit works perfectly with the Aygo engine. Good grief do they honestly think that someone would buy an untested unit and put it on their engine, I would not touch it and, BadBoyVTEC, I don't think you want to either! :rolleyes:

I wonder what a new Aygo engine would cost :unsure:

#3 aygo-bloo

aygo-bloo

Advanced Club Member

• Registered Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 104 posts
  • Toyota Model: Aygo Blue

Posted 10 April 2008 - 08:06 AM

Quote: ''........... all the hard work has been done and it is really just a plumbing job to make her work''

What the seller forgot to mention, which is very, very important, is that the ECU will require some extensive re-programming to ensure that the engine still operates efficiently and does not prematurely expire! This would require the services of a competant re-mapping company and a rolling road and there would be no guarrantee that the re-map would be perfect as this would effectively be a prototype. Having had a Smart roadster with an 'Evil Twin' re-map that was supposedly 'sorted', I still had to have the installation updated after a couple of months as a few flaws were found during day to day operations by various customers all over Europe.
A couple of other points to consider would be, what would the insurance premium be for a modified car and what effect would the conversion have on the emissions and therefore the VED band, not to mention the increase in fuel consumption!

#4 Projectzip

Projectzip

Advanced Club Member

• Registered Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 197 posts
  • First Name:Joe
  • Toyota Model: Aygo Black
  • Year: 2008

Posted 10 April 2008 - 08:26 AM

I think ill pass on that one!!

Ill start saving for the TTS conversion.

#5 adilmon

adilmon

Guru Member

• Registered Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 767 posts
  • Toyota Model: AYGO SPORT D4D

Posted 10 April 2008 - 09:12 AM

Can't wait until someone drops a Honda Vtec engine into an Aygo. The turbo charged 1.4hdi engine that Toyota uses has been tuned up to around 130bhp (done by fiesta owners), with just a remap & intercooler.

I think there's a reason why this turbo has ended up on ebay...

#6 banzaijoe

banzaijoe

Advanced Club Member

• Registered Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 108 posts
  • Toyota Model: 2007 Aygo & 2008 Auris SR180

Posted 10 April 2008 - 09:35 AM

Come on everybody, please do not waste your time thinking about untested conversions. If you want more performance out of your Aygo, go with the Banzai/TTS Performance supercharger kit that I'm running in my car.
I use the car everyday and clock up ridiculous mileages buzzing up and down the country. This conversion has been properly developed by professionals and it has proved to be utterly reliable -- I regularly drive 400-mile round trips without the slightest worry.

#7 SJandMR2

SJandMR2

Top Rank Poster!

• TOC Supporter Plus
  • 1,757 posts
  • Gender*:Female
  • Toyota Model: Is it not obvious?

Posted 10 April 2008 - 03:38 PM

Yep totally agree with Banzai and others dont touch it! Am glad am not the only one saving for the TTS conversion. :lol:

#8 BadBoyVTEC

BadBoyVTEC

Top Rank Poster!

• Registered Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,081 posts
  • Toyota Model: Aygo (Carbon Quartz)

Posted 11 April 2008 - 07:58 AM

I would love to think about the s/c but 3.5k is just too much $$$ tbh. And insuring it after that!
Banzai, would it be possible to NOS up your engine with the s/c.? (out of interest)

#9 banzaijoe

banzaijoe

Advanced Club Member

• Registered Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 108 posts
  • Toyota Model: 2007 Aygo & 2008 Auris SR180

Posted 11 April 2008 - 08:35 AM

Don't forget that if you can't afford 3.5k straight off, you can always buy elements of the kit as and when you can afford it. For instance, one month you could buy the supercharger itself, then in a few months' time the brackets etc. Phone up TTS Performance and I'm sure they'll be able to come to some kind of arrangement with you.

As for nitrous in addition to the supercharger, I don't really think it's necessary. The little car's got plenty of go already, especially at the top end!

#10 crisskro

crisskro

Advanced Club Member

• Registered Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 214 posts
  • Toyota Model: 2006 Colt CZT | 2007 Aygo

Posted 11 April 2008 - 12:22 PM

So.. let me get this straight, 4250 euros for a supercharger. Considering I've paid 10300 euro for the whole car, what makes you think someone would pay ~15000 euros for an aygo with the same acceleration as a colt CZT, fiesta ST etc? I mean without alloys, breaking power etc, just the acceleration?
My oppinion is that this is way overpriced. I am NOT going to buy it, at least not in the next couple of years if the price doesn't drop. And if it doesn't, I'll sell my car and buy a hot hatch rather than supercharging it at this price.
I love my car, but I am not that stupid.

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users