Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Verso T180 Bad Mpg - Am I The Only One

T180Sad

It's an issue with any Toyota group car that engine variant is fitted to. I have a work colleague in the process of rejecting a Lexus IS220D because it also has appaling MPG, in fact it is worse than the 2.5 Litre 6 cylinder petrol versions in real world driving...Toyota have dropped a big plum.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bry

• mbrennan29

• OldSkoO1

• GreyRacer

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi

For those earlier in the posting asking if they are alone with diabolical mpg from T180.... NO YOU ARE NOT, ALMOST EVERYONE HAS THE SAME PROBLEM. EVEN THE ONE or POSSIBLY 2 WHO CLAIM THEIRS ARE OK FALL SHORT OF CLAIMED AND SEE THAT AS ACCEPTABLE.

Also, see Avensis postings, RAV4 and Lexus too. Every Toyota garage will and must know about this and even with a company like Toyota, wont come clean.

i really dont see the big deal with this.

As it has been stated, the manufacturers stated mpg is not realistic as it is produced in perfect test conditions on a bench, not on the road actually driving.

A lot of people who are complaining of poor fuel consumption will probably be driving their cars wrong, driving a diesel is a different driving style to driving petrol. If i drive my T180 the same way i drove my 1.6 T-Spirit then i get the same mpg if not slightly lower. If i drive it as diesels are meant to be driven then i can achieve much higher mpg.

For those people who are unhappy buy the roadcraft book and try to learn it and adapt your driving style accordingly, you will see massive improvements. Being fully trained in the roadcraft system i can switch in and out of it as i please. Driving to the system givems me much better fuel economy and is quicker from a-b, it's just not as much fun as thrashing it!!!

i really dont see the big deal with this.

As it has been stated, the manufacturers stated mpg is not realistic as it is produced in perfect test conditions on a bench, not on the road actually driving.

A lot of people who are complaining of poor fuel consumption will probably be driving their cars wrong, driving a diesel is a different driving style to driving petrol. If i drive my T180 the same way i drove my 1.6 T-Spirit then i get the same mpg if not slightly lower. If i drive it as diesels are meant to be driven then i can achieve much higher mpg.

For those people who are unhappy buy the roadcraft book and try to learn it and adapt your driving style accordingly, you will see massive improvements. Being fully trained in the roadcraft system i can switch in and out of it as i please. Driving to the system givems me much better fuel economy and is quicker from a-b, it's just not as much fun as thrashing it!!!

It's a big deal because that engine is so far off it's competitors in terms of MPG, nobody expects the government figures, but they also don't expect a turbo diesel to be a gas guzzler either. It is not the point that you can use you 'roadcraft' and increase the MPG, all you are getting with your returns is what the average driver should be expecting anyway, you could do the same with a competitors car and get some seriously good MPG. Consider, take for example the Lexus IS220D, my colleagues early model will only achieve 34 MPG at best average on a long motorway run at 70MPH, the equivalent A4 is a long way into the 40's, and a 320/330D with efficient dynamics is in the 50's - all real world figures.

Going on holiday next week to north of Scotland. Will set all trips to zero and see what we will achieve. Good test. M,A,B roads and a couple of cities. Picture to follow.

Arrived at my holiday destination. 120 miles. Mixed roads, one city, maintaining legal road speeds......51.9 mpg!

So in spite of all this whining about t180 economy or lack off... i decided to record my consumption as greyracer has done. I thought a run from work was appropriate.

Sorry image is really bad quality - click to enlarge

t180mpgzm6.th.jpg

Reads 53.8mpg over 48.1 miles

It was as 61.4mpg until i started driving up hills 6 miles before i took this picture... This was achieved using brisk acceleration up to speed, using torque and observations. Not even hard to achieve.

So in spite of all this whining about t180 economy or lack off... i decided to record my consumption as greyracer has done. I thought a run from work was appropriate.

Sorry image is really bad quality - click to enlarge

t180mpgzm6.th.jpg

Reads 53.8mpg over 48.1 miles

It was as 61.4mpg until i started driving up hills 6 miles before i took this picture... This was achieved using brisk acceleration up to speed, using torque and observations. Not even hard to achieve.

Obviously a guy that knows how to 'drive' a diesel engine.

I'm going away next week for a few days, trip is gonna consist of Manchester - Wiltshire - Scarborough - Whitby - Manchester. Will post pics of my trip computer to show my mpg. Untill them im still having fun thrashing it about left right and centre, still returning 38mpg at the minute though!

you know what, I need a newer car, they're all so good on fuel :P i only get 35MPG in all 3 of mine :(... but it aint got problems, just old cars lol

Going on holiday next week to north of Scotland. Will set all trips to zero and see what we will achieve. Good test. M,A,B roads and a couple of cities. Picture to follow.

Arrived at my holiday destination. 120 miles. Mixed roads, one city, maintaining legal road speeds......51.9 mpg!

Couple of days running around locally in the city is knocking the average down now. Latest reading is 47.3 mpg since starting.

nice one OldskoO1

Yes mine has dropped a bit

t180mpg2wj7.th.jpg

Gone from 53.8 to 49mpg now i'm doing town driving and using hilly roads.

However it is hovering around 48-49mpg mark on average for combined driving now. It will do 60+mpg if the road and conditions are perfect.

I have to admit that my average fuel consumption from day one to current, as it's never been reset yet, hovers around 38MPG.

But, my car use Monday to Friday is mostly a four mile journey in traffic to work, where to get into fifth is lucky, and the same back home. All the roads for this journey have had their speed limits reduced from 50MPH to 30MPH. The engine rarely gets up to normal operating temperatures, so I expect the economy to be far from optimal. All things considered it's not bad considering the journeys. Luckily at the weekend the car gets to stretch it's legs, though not much lately thanks to the cost of fuel.

I'm sure with my T180, on a run to Manchester and back I got around, if not above 50MPG. The SR180 has yet to undertake a reasonable motorway journey so I can't compare just yet, though I expect the rresults to be comparable.

I have to admit that my average fuel consumption from day one to current, as it's never been reset yet, hovers around 38MPG.

But, my car use Monday to Friday is mostly a four mile journey in traffic to work, where to get into fifth is lucky, and the same back home. All the roads for this journey have had their speed limits reduced from 50MPH to 30MPH. The engine rarely gets up to normal operating temperatures, so I expect the economy to be far from optimal. All things considered it's not bad considering the journeys. Luckily at the weekend the car gets to stretch it's legs, though not much lately thanks to the cost of fuel.

I'm sure with my T180, on a run to Manchester and back I got around, if not above 50MPG. The SR180 has yet to undertake a reasonable motorway journey so I can't compare just yet, though I expect the rresults to be comparable.

der der der da da.....

I drove mine from Teesdale to Middlesbrough and back today, empty vehicle, aircon off, half a tank of Shell extra, 65 miles, I reset the computer ( It is proven accurate to within 1mpg) I used no more than 1/4 inch of throttle, held the gear that maintained 1800 revs, very liitle traffic with no hold ups, I annoyed everything on the road as I never exceeded 60 mph, the cycle could only be described as EXTRA EXTRA URBAN!

AND GUESS WHAT, NO, I NEVER GOT OVER 60MPG,SHOCK HORROR. I ACTUALLY GOT AN ABSOLUTELY LOUSY (under the circumstances) 43.8mpg!!!!!!!!!!!!! Any other Diesel I have owned driven like this would be at 60mpg+ without a shadow of doubt.

der der der da da.....

I drove mine from Teesdale to Middlesbrough and back today, empty vehicle, aircon off, half a tank of Shell extra, 65 miles, I reset the computer ( It is proven accurate to within 1mpg) I used no more than 1/4 inch of throttle, held the gear that maintained 1800 revs, very liitle traffic with no hold ups, I annoyed everything on the road as I never exceeded 60 mph, the cycle could only be described as EXTRA EXTRA URBAN!

AND GUESS WHAT, NO, I NEVER GOT OVER 60MPG,SHOCK HORROR. I ACTUALLY GOT AN ABSOLUTELY LOUSY (under the circumstances) 43.8mpg!!!!!!!!!!!!! Any other Diesel I have owned driven like this would be at 60mpg+ without a shadow of doubt.

Can I humbly suggest you just go back to one of your other owned diesels and recupe the milage you are losing and leave us to enjoy our T/SR180s. and can I suggest that your 60+ machines were not 'super diesels'.

der der der da da.....

Considering you drive an Avensis Tourer do you not think this is going to give lower mpg than an Auris due to the extra weight??? Have you driven an Auris T180? If not then how can you claim them to be crappy with poor MPG?? Unless you can't read you will see that the majority of users on here the drive the Auris T/SR 180 ARE achieving extremely close too idf not more than quoted mileage and are very happy with their performance.

As Greyracer has said if you are so fed up of your crappy T180 then go back to one of the cars you claim to be far superior. At the end of the day you chose to buy the thing, did you not take it for an extended test drive before parting with your cash?!?!? I know i did so I was aware of what my returns would be. Yes there are a lot of posts on here from users stating their consumption figures are very poor, but they are coming from avensis, verso, rav and lexus users all these vehicles are larger and therefore heavier than the Auris which is going to impact on the consumption figures. I may be wrong and will happily stand corrected if i am but i dont think any of the T/SR 180 AURIS owners have complained about this issue.

having read this thread, I think there are Auris 180 owners who are unhappy with their consumption. However, why is this thread been posted in the Auris section - it says Verso T180 in the title and all and sundry with 180 engines seem to be replying - therefore there will be a mixed bag of replies due to the already mentioned size/weight issue anyway!

Well I think I will make this my last post on MPG.

Now who was it that said

QUOTE ''Sorry,absolutely know way under any circumstances can better than claimed fuel consumption be obtained with my T180, I have never under any circumstances (all tried!!)managed to obtain the claimed 45.6mpg and know i never will, WHY... DPF DPF DPF!!! Makes it impossible!!!

UNQUOTE

Ah yes, it was Bry.

Mr T says 45.6 combined.

Here is my combined for a full tank. Granted it's not a slab fronted & overweight Avensis.

322343484.jpg

End of story.

Well I think I will make this my last post on MPG.

Now who was it that said

QUOTE ''Sorry,absolutely know way under any circumstances can better than claimed fuel consumption be obtained with my T180, I have never under any circumstances (all tried!!)managed to obtain the claimed 45.6mpg and know i never will, WHY... DPF DPF DPF!!! Makes it impossible!!!

UNQUOTE

Ah yes, it was Bry.

Mr T says 45.6 combined.

Here is my combined for a full tank. Granted it's not a slab fronted & overweight Avensis.

322343484.jpg

End of story.

Sorry to get this going again, looking at your MPG (based on Trip B) you have done a full tank of Diesel in 377 Miles, if you have 5 lires left in the tank and assuming you started with a full tank (55 ltrs) you did 377 miles using 50 lites of Diesel which equals 34 MPG!

Trip computers (in my experience) are a bit out bit not 13!

Please tell me this isnt the case, as i am considering ordering an SR180 as my next company car!

You are right and wrong and there is nothing up with the trip computer. I refilled my tank before it was empty hence the extra miles otherwise I would have been stuck on a Scottish Moor. But the 377 was 49.2

All town work, 28 mpg

Town plus some faster cruising, 34-36

motorway only 70-80, 40-45

I knew that the T180 Verso would be poorer on fuel than the 140, as I looked in the specs. Its returning EXACTLY what I thought it would given the extra smoothness and power of the higher power engine. A good trade off I thought.

The govts figures are a guide, and not to be taken literally. It even says that in the brochure!

Small things like servicing and tyre pressures make a big difference. My mum in laws 1.6 Auris on returns about 30 32 in town, as did all my Focuses when on lessons.

I'm with the majority who are pleased with their purchase.

The Shufster

You are right and wrong and there is nothing up with the trip computer. I refilled my tank before it was empty hence the extra miles otherwise I would have been stuck on a Scottish Moor. But the 377 was 49.2

Fair enough :thumbsup:

Not interested in getting into any arguments about fuel economy, however I would just like to point out to those interested that in Sainsbury's (exclusive outlet) at the mo there is Which car?" magazine that has various car tests in, including the Auris 180 and they claim to be able to achieve the Toyota combined mpg figure.

There was nothing in for the Avensis 2.2, and I didn't check for the Rav4, Is200d or the Corolla Verso.

Have a look for yourselves.

Which car?" magazine that has various car tests in, including the Auris 180 and they claim to be able to achieve the Toyota combined mpg figure.

Easy enough.

Mine has used 41,55 mpg since it was new, I drove it like it was stolen when it was new, after 4000km's i fitted a promotech tuning box and it has been used all time since that.

My drivingprofile is 10% city, 30% B-roads, and the rest is highwayuse.

I am always using the aux heater in the colder months from oct-apr, on highways i cruse at 85 mph.

When i drive in Germany and use Shell V-Power diesel, the consumption i reduced by more than 15%, the quality of the diesel in SWEDEN is a joke.

Ok, I have been out for the day with the family to Whitby. Before I left I reset the trip so i could see what my average MPG was for the journey to try and show that the MPG is not as bad as some people are trying make out.

I drove from my home (manchester airport area) to Whitby. Motorway speeds were not below 80mph (a lot of people are stating very very poor mpg at anything above 65 mph) I was not trying in any way to conserve fuel i just drove it for fun and was not bothered about what mpg i got.

Motorway speeds of around 80mph

A roads speeds upto 70mph 5th gear highest gear used, rev counter always in torque band, lots of braking for bends and gear changing to keep revs in torque band.

Basically i drove the car as it is meant to be driven - fast.

picture was taken as i came into whitby

2vim9lu.jpg

If i had been trying to conserve fuel then official mpg and higher could have easily have been achieved.

Nice one.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links