Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Verso T180 Bad Mpg - Am I The Only One

T180Sad

Well done D1, traffic are a real killer too.... so are very long hills combined with slow traffic. It does seem fuel matters as the 180 owners getter better performance on premium while 1.4 / 2.0 owners get significantly better performance on standard Sainsbury City Diesel.

I am still waiting to find time to test out the T180 but it if has theoretically 30%/40% more power than the 2.0 and only 10% less economical it sounds like you have all have a real bargain.

Back to the ST 155PS if you stick both cars on a rolling road I bet hp/ps ratings would be similar as I have a feeling Ford under-rate there power and Toyota are bang on or just under.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bry

• mbrennan29

• OldSkoO1

• GreyRacer

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Agree that Bry needs to stop slagging off the car, he doesnt even drive an auris he has a avensis tourer which is bigger than the auris, hence WILL use more fuel.

MANY T180 AURIS drivers have said it is easy to return average or better mpg, drive it properlky and it does it itself.

With regard to the ST155 the T180 beats it hands down. I have driven many many ST155's (trained in them at work) and my Auris eats them alive.

ST155's (trained in them at work)
Police?

(***** I better go change my profile)

ST155's (trained in them at work)
Police?

(***** I better go change my profile)

:thumbsup: work stays at work matey

in fairness to bry i can understand why he is a little peed off, if i had to pay for fuel in my sr180 i would have returned the vehicle to the manufacturer immediately.

as i am luck ******* who doesnt have to pay for fuel my right foot is pretty heavy and has been on all company car cars i've owned. my previous car to the auris was a fabia vrs (with a tuning box) that got dogged daily for 2 years and rarely returned anything under 40mpg. My auris on the other hand has never risen above 30mpg and is currently at an all time low of 25.4mpg frankly that is sh*t. however as it doesn’t really affect my pocket its something i live with and in my circumstances is a minor flaw to an otherwise great car.

and bry your comments about an sr180 not keeping up with an ST155... stop smoking crack its messing with your head

and bry your comments about an sr180 not keeping up with an ST155... stop smoking crack its messing with your head

:lol::lol:

How childish!

Not being of the young dim bat race I wouldn't even know what crack is, never needed such shi* to live!

FACTS

The 180 is a under performing engine, 15% less than average claimed consumption and much less than claimed performance AND a 155 engined Ford will match it and probably beat it easily, irrespective if you trained in it! The Mondeo is twice the size of the Auriios put that engine in an Auriousus and say goodbye!

ALSO I don't particularly like Fords.

OH, In case you haven't noticed I have never been the originator of the complaint!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ok now for my view.

I have driven a Verso T180 for the last 2 years with what I can only describe as appalling fuel economy ( convinced i had been sold a dud). I have now picked up my Auris T180 and having only driven it approx 150 miles I can see the fuel economy is vastly improved in this vehicle. I would have been quick to put this down to weight difference but looking at the specs the Verso T180 weighs in at 1565 Kg and the Auris 1450 Kg. To me 115kg difference doesn't fully explain the variation in fuel economy, Is there somthing else thats been changed ?

Admittedly my first miles in the Auris haven't been particularly sporty driving but have been 4 people in the car up and down the motorway at approx 70 - 80 mph returning 45 MPG. I never stood a hope in hell of getting near this figure in the Verso even driving with Brys proverbial Wrens Egg ( love it !) on the gas pedal (at a constant 70, lucky to get better than 37 MPG)

To conclude there do seem to be some huge variations in this engine across the differing car ranges but it does seem well suited to the Auris

How childish!

Not being of the young dim bat race I wouldn't even know what crack is, never needed such shi* to live!

FACTS

The 180 is a under performing engine, 15% less than average claimed consumption and much less than claimed performance AND a 155 engined Ford will match it and probably beat it easily, irrespective if you trained in it! The Mondeo is twice the size of the Auriios put that engine in an Auriousus and say goodbye!

OH, In case you haven't noticed I have never been the originator of the complaint!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bry, no-body here can help you; nobody wants to help you any more. Just wait for the next new member. Your problems go deeper than other members here.

You can only help yourself.

Admittedly my first miles in the Auris haven't been particularly sporty driving but have been 4 people in the car up and down the motorway at approx 70 - 80 mph returning 45 MPG.
That is impressive considering in the 2.0 I would expect 49-51mpg.

How childish!

FACTS

Well you soon changed your tune didnt you, in another post in this thread you said "noway will a t180 see off a 155 it will struggle to keep up at best" Now your saying it will match it and PROBABLY beat it. To be honest I couldnt care what you think of the T180 because I KNOW it wipes the floor with a st155, i have driven the st155 at very high speeds on all different road types and i know for a fact that my t180 is a faster car. The ST155 may give the impression it is quicker as you reach max torque at only 1.2k rpm whereas the t180 is not untill 1.8k rpm, however the st155 runs out of puff at around 4.5k rpm but the t180 keeps going to 5.2k rpm. It IS a faster car despite what you say, i speak from experience of driving both vehicles extensively.

As for being childish..........wasn't it you that replied to one post with

" DPF! DPF! DPF!!!!!!!!!! "

Or words to that effect. Reads like a baby spitting their dummy out.

Dont flatter yourself oldskol the last thing I want from you is help, I am qualified and experienced enough to understand exactly what is going on. And no matter what you lot dream, an ST155 in a Mondeo leaves a 180 HP (joke!) Avensis for dead. The reason DPF DPF DPF!!!!!

You know, I've been following this thread for a little bit, and its safe to say that Bry's not too impressed with his Avensis.

I can only speak from experience of my Verso T180 regarding MPG and performance.

My car is standard apart from a TTE rear exhaust, and run on v-power. Even the wife noticed the difference on the road with v power in the tank.

If I do all town slow stuff, my MPG(topped up and measured each week) then I only get 31-32. 50/50 mix mway and town 34-36, mainly motorway then 40-42, so a bit less than the Auris boys. My fatness may be a factor though!

As regards performance, I have seem 130+ on a track day ;) and just ask the S-Max 2.5 T driver why I was clamped to his rear bumper the other day on a fast stretch of bypass, and they don't hang around... I have also easily managed to keep a 2.0 Passat TDI behind me, and the're quite quick also. (upto the legal limit..)

I'm sorry Bry's not happy, v-power fuel is a good thing to try if you want to boost smoothness and power. My car recently suffered a cold start problem, and Mr.T upgraded the ECU software (solved) and i'm sure its a little smoother as a result.

Be careful out there

Ian

You know, I've been following this thread for a little bit, and its safe to say that Bry's not too impressed with his Avensis.

I can only speak from experience of my Verso T180 regarding MPG and performance.

My car is standard apart from a TTE rear exhaust, and run on v-power. Even the wife noticed the difference on the road with v power in the tank.

If I do all town slow stuff, my MPG(topped up and measured each week) then I only get 31-32. 50/50 mix mway and town 34-36, mainly motorway then 40-42, so a bit less than the Auris boys. My fatness may be a factor though!

As regards performance, I have seem 130+ on a track day ;) and just ask the S-Max 2.5 T driver why I was clamped to his rear bumper the other day on a fast stretch of bypass, and they don't hang around... I have also easily managed to keep a 2.0 Passat TDI behind me, and the're quite quick also. (upto the legal limit..)

I'm sorry Bry's not happy, v-power fuel is a good thing to try if you want to boost smoothness and power. My car recently suffered a cold start problem, and Mr.T upgraded the ECU software (solved) and i'm sure its a little smoother as a result.

Be careful out there

Ian

Thanks Ian

I tried all that along with every other non logical solution, the fuel thing s already documented, I find V power the worst fuel of them all, struggle to get 40mpg and certainly no quicker or rather just as slow, the best is sainsburys, low 40's on a good day.

Dont flatter yourself oldskol the last thing I want from you is help, I am qualified and experienced enough to understand exactly what is going on. And no matter what you lot dream, an ST155 in a Mondeo leaves a 180 HP (joke!) Avensis for dead. The reason DPF DPF DPF!!!!!

oh dear oh dear,

and you call others childish.

You remind me of a woman....always have to be right. Well having just spent the past 11 hours driving a mondeo ST155 I finished work and jumped into my 180bhp joke. Couldn't give a monkeys what you THINK you know about the ST155, I drive these things for a living so i think i know a hell of a lot better than you what im talking about. Why do you say that the ST155 is faster? is it because you were left for dust by one? ever consider it was being driven by a better driver? Have you considered that you might not be a very good driver? Oh no wait a minute someone as anal as you couldnt possibly be a bad driver, afterall you've driven millions of miles, that OBVIOULSY makes you the expert so we should all bow down and take everything you say as gospel.

I have spoken with my colleagues about this (a total of over 70 years advanced driving experience) and those that have driven a t180 (some have driven mine,others have got one) all say the t180 beats the pants off the ST155, you trying to tell me that YOU know better?

at the end of the day noone on here gives a toss what you think about the T180, you do nothing but put it down when the vast majority of AURIS 180 owners are MORE THAN HAPPY. Most of them stating and posting proof that they are achieving higher than average mpg which you claim is impossible to achieve.

You bought the t180, you handed over your money without doing your homework regarding what your fuel consumption was going to be like taking into account your driving style, that makes you the joke! One of the first things i did after finishing my test drive was check the average MPG.

to the other users sorry if this comes across as being rude, i have had a very long and very emotional night and i wont sit here and read some crap by someone who wouldnt be happy if the t180 returned 90 mpg and beat the bugatti veyron.

Take your DPF DPF DPF moans back to the avensis forum

One thing that seems to be constantly over looked is that the x180, in which ever vehicle it is fitted in, is over 2.2 litres capacity (2231cc). Many of the comparisons that have been drawn have been with 1.9 or 2.0, and normally you would expect a smaller engine to deliver better economy than a larger one.

The trade off with the 2.2 d-cat is all that lovely torque, 295lbs/ft, normally around 50lb or more up on the competition. I knew this when I bought it and am happy about it and I guess many others feel the same. It is also reported to be smoother and of course no soot, plus going back to spec, has quoted more power at 175bhp than others. The closest competition here against the Auris is the Megane dCi 175 with 173bhp but it is in the next road tax bracket and only 2.0 returning 43.5.

The next comparison, other than the Accord, worth looking at would be the Avensis T180 vs the new Mondeo 2.2 175bhp 272lbs/ft as this is a closer spec. Note sure if the Ford has a DPF though.

Just a few of my thoughts.

...the best is sainsburys, low 40's on a good day.
Can you guys on v.power all try Sainsburys if you can. It is hands down better than v.power in a 2.0 but I was surprised it would be better for a T180 being a performance car.

One thing that seems to be constantly over looked is that the x180, in which ever vehicle it is fitted in, is over 2.2 litres capacity (2231cc). Many of the comparisons that have been drawn have been with 1.9 or 2.0, and normally you would expect a smaller engine to deliver better economy than a larger one.

The trade off with the 2.2 d-cat is all that lovely torque, 295lbs/ft, normally around 50lb or more up on the competition. I knew this when I bought it and am happy about it and I guess many others feel the same. It is also reported to be smoother and of course no soot, plus going back to spec, has quoted more power at 175bhp than others. The closest competition here against the Auris is the Megane dCi 175 with 173bhp but it is in the next road tax bracket and only 2.0 returning 43.5.

The next comparison, other than the Accord, worth looking at would be the Avensis T180 vs the new Mondeo 2.2 175bhp 272lbs/ft as this is a closer spec. Note sure if the Ford has a DPF though.

very good points here!

but as you know 41mpg average over a tank from plenty of heavy foot action is very acceptable to me! I simply do not care what is printed in the brochure and what i get on my display. Firstly the test would have been nothing like my daily commute and secondly i have a lot more important things to worry about than loosing 5 or 10 quid (whatever it is) on a tank of fuel. Some people spend £5 a day on cigarettes.

John i dont think i could force myself to fill up with anything other than Shell. But i'm sure there are plenty more t180 owners who aren't as particular as me :thumbsup:

oh dear oh dear,

You remind me of a woman....always have to be right. Well having just spent the past 11 hours driving a mondeo ST155 I finished work and jumped into my 180bhp joke. Couldn't give a monkeys what you THINK you know about the ST155, I drive these things for a living so i think i know a hell of a lot better than you what im talking about. Why do you say that the ST155 is faster? is it because you were left for dust by one? ever consider it was being driven by a better driver? Have you considered that you might not be a very good driver? Oh no wait a minute someone as anal as you couldnt possibly be a bad driver, afterall you've driven millions of miles, that OBVIOULSY makes you the expert so we should all bow down and take everything you say as gospel.

I have spoken with my colleagues about this (a total of over 70 years advanced driving experience) and those that have driven a t180 (some have driven mine,others have got one) all say the t180 beats the pants off the ST155, you trying to tell me that YOU know better?

at the end of the day noone on here gives a toss what you think about the T180, you do nothing but put it down when the vast majority of AURIS 180 owners are MORE THAN HAPPY. Most of them stating and posting proof that they are achieving higher than average mpg which you claim is impossible to achieve.

You bought the t180, you handed over your money without doing your homework regarding what your fuel consumption was going to be like taking into account your driving style, that makes you the joke! One of the first things i did after finishing my test drive was check the average MPG.

to the other users sorry if this comes across as being rude, i have had a very long and very emotional night and i wont sit here and read some crap by someone who wouldnt be happy if the t180 returned 90 mpg and beat the bugatti veyron.

Sorry ladies! My genuine well over 1 million miles in fast cars and Bikes is a fact, dont need to justify anything about my driving ability or experience but I am confident it is superior to anything theoretically taught, advanced driving is a talent, not an education. Did Lewis Hamilton do his ST 155 training?

I would be very happy with 45.6 mpg average and NO MORE, that is what they are supposed to do, if only occasionally, check you facts, I did my homework as with dozens of cars before it, but this one lied to me.

AND I somewhat noticed how you interfere on the Avensis forum, no problem with me, this is the UK not the USSR, so dont tell me how and where to post!!!!!

oh dear oh dear,

Sorry ladies! My genuine well over 1 million miles in fast cars and Bikes is a fact, dont need to justify anything about my driving ability or experience but I am confident it is superior to anything theoretically taught, advanced driving is a talent, not an education. Did Lewis Hamilton do his ST 155 training?

I would be very happy with 45.6 mpg average and NO MORE, that is what they are supposed to do, if only occasionally, check you facts, I did my homework as with dozens of cars before it, but this one lied to me.

AND I somewhat noticed how you interfere on the Avensis forum, no problem with me, this is the UK not the USSR, so dont tell me how and where to post!!!!!

I am another happy Auris T180 owner, bought 2nd hand from 4000 miles, now 11000 miles. Previous car was a Corolla T Sport.

4 months into the ownership and economy is steadily improving (through running in engine and my driving style changing to suit the car). From my own experience i can say the following:

Economy of 45MPG is totally achievable (at the moment averaging 43MPG with a good mixture of driving on different roads and often driving swiftly)

Performance of the 2.2 is ok, but expected better acceleration given the torque available. I think ultimately the Auris is let down by it's heaviness.

The engine is one of the most refined diesel out there, BMW edges it but beats VWs hands down.

Just to talk about the official figures regarding MPG, i have never owned a car that achieved the claimed MPG, but the Auris is the closest so far. I believe your driving style totally dictates this, and i am not saying this to say you either drive well or badly, but just how you drive in general.

Now I know your a prat!!!

Anyone who claims their driving ability is SUPERIOR just because they have driven over a million miles is in my eyes a danger to other road users.

I am CERTAIN (not confident) that my driving ability is superior to anything theoretically taught aswell, seeing as though absolutely none of the training i have done over the years has been theoretical. It has all been practical. Advanced driving is not a talent it is a skill which is learnt, learnt from many many hundreds of hours of dynamic training and experience. Im sure Lewis Hamilton hasn't done his ST155 training, but then again i havent done my mclaren F1 training, whats your point? I speak to people like you every single day, people who think they are superior drivers purely because of how many years they have been driving or the number of miles they have driven over the years. They are 99% of the time the sort of people who regurlarly commit offences because they think they know it all, generally quite poor and inconsiderate drivers at best.

ANYWAY, oh look yet ANOTHER happy AURIS 180 owner, i can see a trend appearing here. You obviously didnt do your homework on the 180 engine did you? If you had bothered to check the average MPG after your test drive then you wouldnt be moaning now about your poor mpg as a result of your driving style. If you did check the average mpg when you test drove it and it was different, ie what toyota claim, then obviously you have a defective engine.

You somewhat noticed how i INTERFERE!!! on the Avensis forum.........what so you thought you would come and interfere over here then right?!?!

Now I know your a prat!!!

Anyone who claims their driving ability is SUPERIOR just because they have driven over a million miles is in my eyes a danger to other road users.

I am CERTAIN (not confident) that my driving ability is superior to anything theoretically taught aswell, seeing as though absolutely none of the training i have done over the years has been theoretical. It has all been practical. Advanced driving is not a talent it is a skill which is learnt, learnt from many many hundreds of hours of dynamic training and experience. Im sure Lewis Hamilton hasn't done his ST155 training, but then again i havent done my mclaren F1 training, whats your point? I speak to people like you every single day, people who think they are superior drivers purely because of how many years they have been driving or the number of miles they have driven over the years. They are 99% of the time the sort of people who regurlarly commit offences because they think they know it all, generally quite poor and inconsiderate drivers at best.

ANYWAY, oh look yet ANOTHER happy AURIS 180 owner, i can see a trend appearing here. You obviously didnt do your homework on the 180 engine did you? If you had bothered to check the average MPG after your test drive then you wouldnt be moaning now about your poor mpg as a result of your driving style. If you did check the average mpg when you test drove it and it was different, ie what toyota claim, then obviously you have a defective engine.

You somewhat noticed how i INTERFERE!!! on the Avensis forum.........what so you thought you would come and interfere over here then right?!?!

Unbeleievable and worrying. No points or driving convictions and no blame accidents. I drive to survive in a safe manner, along with the many millions of others who dont have points etc, probably 99% of the population. Apart from being stopped regularly for no reason on my bike, never been stopped in the car.

I needed to do homework on the T180, WHY? to confirm that it underperforms? Thought your argument was that it doesn't?

There is another car worth looking at if you can put up with 3 doors: Volvo C30 2.4 D5. It has a 2.4 5 cylinder 20v engine developing 178bhp 256lb/ft, returns 45.6mpg, and weighs in at 1474kg, and can be had for around £19.5k, according to Whatcar. Torque seems a bit low but otherwise compares well with the Toyota 2.2 D-CAT. Pretty fast as well, 7.3 secs and 140mph. Personally, not to my taste and I need 5 doors, but could be a good alternative, and has a 433 litre big boot.

There is just something about volvo's - not to my taste either but they do have nice engines and i'm suprised that one can do 45mpg.

On the subject of MPG

No-one has the excuse that the 180 engine, in this case - the auris wont do its claimed 45mpg average.

I've just completed a stint of driving normally i.e. not getting excited with the toruqe, going to quick. Basically i prentended i was average joe going to and from work, not showing off, not driving like a granny just stop, start get up to speed limit stay at it. Not drama, not overtaking (ok maybe a couple).

And this is what i returned:

avgt180mpgyr1.th.jpg

I've done this loads of times now and this is probably the last time i will bother doing a test. 46.6mpg returned, now its probably higher than the stated because i'm probably so used to coming off the accelerator earlier its natural. And i will say it again, this is NOT driving for economy this is driving like the average joe - no drama.

So to conclude, the 180 is so torquey you can't help yourself which is why so many of us see 42/43mpg combined including me! Those of us who live and drive in a city at around 30mph and especially in stop start will so no more than 38mpg and may even read 33/34mpg if its constant crawling and stop start. When you don't play with the torque the official combined figure can be achieved but you have to admit its boring and that isn't why you bought a x180. My 46.6mpg combined was slightly higher than expected but I drove totally normally, NOT for economy.

And finally if your so tight and want to be in the 50mpg club i suggest you learn the advance driving techniques and you can adapt these for economy. You will have seen my post before with photo proof. Driving for a combined MPG on economy techniques gave me 51/52mpg. Sadly due to the main route into town being dug up the congestion killed my economy drive to 48mpg.

On a run i had it at 64mpg but i dont think that will last over the whole tank on a run i would need a completely flat road. Also economy drive on a long run is tedious having to control the throttle.

Autocar's long term Mondeo is struggling to manage 40 mpg, they were moaning the other day. It must be a common problem with new diesels.