Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Verso T180 Bad Mpg - Am I The Only One

T180Sad

Autocar's long term Mondeo is struggling to manage 40 mpg, they were moaning the other day. It must be a common problem with new diesels.

Bang on mate, it is a new diesel problem, ie those fitted with DPF.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bry

• mbrennan29

• OldSkoO1

• GreyRacer

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

So, here's what I think.

The Auris boys are in the lightest cars, the T180 unit seems sensitive to weight, eg MPG. Its clean but quite thirsty seemingly more on the Verso and maybe the Avensis.

Just looking on the Toyota website, both the Avensis tourer and the Auris are on 45 MPG comb. The Verso is 42.

I can say that having done my ROSPA Gold driving test, that my driving isn't bad if I'm going for economy. The Verso today, with going to Crewe twice and a reasonable amount of slow town work (Sat afternoons!) all speed limits obeyed and with the A/c on, returned 34.8 which I was happy with considering I perhaps could have eeked out a bit more. No motorway and a couple of miles of bypass.

So assuming that OlsSkol and I have similar amounts of skill, then he should have returned about 38 ish under the same circumstances. Bry also.

So really a T180 Avensis or Auris should return at least 37-38 in gentle everyday driving. If it dosen't, then its the car or the driver. The 180's though have a habit of bringing out the devil and if I'd booted it up the bypass (I do normally) then this would be more like 32-33 which is common in my car.

I do think Bry has a point about MPG though. These days CO2 is king, and perhaps this is killing diesel MPG figures a bit. Its worth remembering that the DCat is one of the cleanest diesels around, and to me thats more important than MPG.

I've looked on the Ford website, I don't think the Mondy has a DFP so if Autocar can't get 40mpg, thats really poor.

Just a few thoughts, not trying to lecture anybody.

Ian

So really a T180 Avensis or Auris should return at least 37-38 in gentle everyday driving. If it dosen't, then its the car or the driver.

I think it has been mentioned in another post that the on board computer in the Toyota's underestimates the real mpg and I find this to be true. Use: http://www.xrtwo.com/mpg.asp to calculate your MPG accurately. I get 5-7mpg more than my computer!*

Edit: I get 3-5mpg more in real life than my computer! (2.0 D-4D).

Just had a major service on the car and the comsumption has gone down by 3-5 mpg! These things really do make a difference.

I've also had to have new discs and pads!!! suprising at 11300 miles

Ian

I've also had to have new discs and pads!!! surprising at 11300 miles

Ian I presume your on your second set of tyres?

So really a T180 Avensis or Auris should return at least 37-38 in gentle everyday driving. If it dosen't, then its the car or the driver.

I think it has been mentioned in another post that the on board computer in the Toyota's underestimates the real mpg and I find this to be true. Use: http://www.xrtwo.com/mpg.asp to calculate your MPG accurately. I get 5-7mpg more than my computer!

I have regularly checked the calibratation of my of my OBC and its always within 1mpg, usually around 0.5 lower than actual.

Reading others results with this engine I am gratefull for aound 40 with the Avensis, cant believe we are accepting that and much less? I have been running our 330i BMW for last week or so and returning 33+ around the doors and climbs to around 40mpg at 70 ish motorway speeds, thats on petrol with well over 200HP on tap!

I give up really

Nope! my tyres still have 5mm of tread on them, apprently this disc thing is common on the Verso.

It makes me wonder about the quality of the components the're using nowadays, brakes are hardly a new idea me thinks...

My trip sometimes is bang on, and then others its 2-3- out in either direction. The best one was on my Focus, it was bang on every time.

Back to the disc thing, if it was out of warranty, it would have cost me 6-700 quid to put right. After 11000 miles thats crazy :eek:

As I said Bry, the service has really helped. the mechanics said that these engines are really sensitive to the air filters been clean, I wonder if anyone does a K&N filter or a higher performance filter for these engines. I presume yours is exactly the same, maybe that would help the engine breathe better.

Nope! my tyres still have 5mm of tread on them, apprently this disc thing is common on the Verso.

It makes me wonder about the quality of the components the're using nowadays, brakes are hardly a new idea me thinks...

My trip sometimes is bang on, and then others its 2-3- out in either direction. The best one was on my Focus, it was bang on every time.

Back to the disc thing, if it was out of warranty, it would have cost me 6-700 quid to put right. After 11000 miles thats crazy :eek:

As I said Bry, the service has really helped. the mechanics said that these engines are really sensitive to the air filters been clean, I wonder if anyone does a K&N filter or a higher performance filter for these engines. I presume yours is exactly the same, maybe that would help the engine breathe better.

I had a Jetex high performance air filter in my Verso t180 , I can't say it made a great deal of difference to the standard one ( any perceived difference could well have been a placebo effect) saying that, I did remove it when I sold the Verso hoping to fit it to my Auris only to find its a different shape air box :angry: I guess it will now be eBay Bound

Brake discs at 11000 mile seems scary, my discs lasted 50,000 ( although they weren't looking good )

K&N do a drop in panel for the Avensis 2 2.2 diesels, part no. is 33 2926 I am getting one for my T180. Dont bet on it fitting the Auris, that is usually a difference between models due to lack of space etc.

How childish!

Not being of the young dim bat race I wouldn't even know what crack is, never needed such shi* to live!

FACTS

The 180 is a under performing engine, 15% less than average claimed consumption and much less than claimed performance AND a 155 engined Ford will match it and probably beat it easily, irrespective if you trained in it! The Mondeo is twice the size of the Auriios put that engine in an Auriousus and say goodbye!

ALSO I don't particularly like Fords.

OH, In case you haven't noticed I have never been the originator of the complaint!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

yes bry i am of the young dim bat race, it's a struggle to for me to even put my own clothes on in the morning!

it was a joke bry, just trying to lighten the mood after you spewed your toxic filth everywhere.

This article will be of interest

http://www.channel4.com/4car/ft/feature/feature/15534/1

Its not just the "green" cars i reckon if they tested every common car on the market the results would be the same.

And he makes a very good point about emissions. CO2 may be low but particle emissions are still higher. There are standards to be introduced on particle emissions in Europe. Also there is talk that taxing cars will not just be based on CO2 but particle emissions as-well; soon too - so all the car makers are fitting aggressive particle filtering to their cars.

You won't be able to get away from it on newer cars; the only way to get better MPG now; even in diesels and to reach the 50mpg club is to drive lighter cars with smaller capacity engines. You can see even these "green" cars are returning in the 50's or high 50's and they are small boring slow cars.

You will need to get a basic VW bora, older golf, older mondeo all fitted with the smaller 1.9tdi's to guarantee good MPG and we are talking everyday combined MPG not lets see how much MPG we can get on a few runs only. If not something lighter like a fabia, ibiza of focus all of the older variety that are light with less filtering.

OK, Just to put my final stamp on this thread once and for all.

I have just spent the past 4 weeks (tank full of diesel) driving with one thing in mind.....getting the best consumption possible. I have driven the thing purely with that in mind and i have to say it was hard! With all that torque under my foot it took a LOT of will power.

This thread has had people claiming that the quoted average of 45.6mpg was NOT achieveable. There are also people on here who are easily achieving this. I have always said from day one it is down to the driver NOT the engine. If you use the power and torque correctly it is easy to surpass the quoted average, as my picture below proves. I took this picture this evening just after i had filled up.

It was easy to get that average just not as much fun to drive.

14082008139cu1.jpg

damm you smashed my efforts right out of the water!

nice stuff! now get back to the fun :)

i'm doing 43/44mpg and have loads of fun :D

damm you smashed my efforts right out of the water!

nice stuff! now get back to the fun :)

i'm doing 43/44mpg and have loads of fun :D

Your DAMN right it's time for some fun!!

Took it for a SERIOUS blast after taking that picture and it dropped down to 44mpg by the time i got home, usually where it always is when i drive it not caring about consumption.

It's easy to get the higher figures but there's no point in it if its no fun IMO.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links