Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

06 2.2d Avensis New Engine

Palletman

Just been told by my Toyota dealer that my avensis needs a new engine. I took it in because the heating had stopped working, they saw that the coolant level was low. After speaking with my fleet manager he told me that of the 15 we have in the fleet 4 have had this problem at around the 70k mark. Also spoken to an RAC man who confirmed that he knew of this [problem also.

No one has said so directly but given the speed the new engine has been ordered we think that Toyota have held their hands up to this it was out of warranty 69k miles. Our leasing company would not have agreed to pay the predicted bill of £6.5k so quickly

Anyone else have these problems

Also I know its the wrong forum but RAC man said some VWs have the same fault

Did you have belt changed at 60,000 miles ????????? D4D engine has top quality well made idler gear & hydraulic damper for tension of belt. With everything set up right, car feels like it just come of the production line, with the downside that your car has a water pump that has done 70,000 miles & simply cannot take the strain. Thus leaks arise, not a small job to renew water-pump as it is a large unit that holds high pressure fuel pump. Quite a few parts to be removed for change including O/S engine mount. We have done quite a few of these repairs now, see what other forum users think. I know what I think, answer above.

The car has always been serviced on time by Toyota main dealers and has never gone over mileage intervals. Anyway should get it back Friday

*****!!! Did you change the cam belt. Toyota recommend it done every 60,000 miles. If it snaps OH NO!!!!!!

To The Dogs. I'm confusing 2 ltr with 2.2 ltr D4D what purpose is the chain for or what component is run of the chain. Allways good to learn new things, good practice to change pump wiyh engine stripped, maybe not financially for a company. So is 2.2 ltr a chain drive engine????

I think you will find the 2.2 d has a cam chain and a cam belt on the 2.0d

Why the 2.0 with belt wont they both have chains cus all the new cars now do.

To The Dogs. I'm confusing 2 ltr with 2.2 ltr D4D what purpose is the chain for or what component is run of the chain. Allways good to learn new things, good practice to change pump wiyh engine stripped, maybe not financially for a company. So is 2.2 ltr a chain drive engine????

Hi yes the 2.2 ltr is a chain driven cam shaft and the chain runs in the engine oil in side the engine and does not need changing at 60000

and it does not turn the water pump But on the 2ltr engine it is a cam belt and it also turns the water pump. :thumbsup:

I think you will find the 2.2 d has a cam chain and a cam belt on the 2.0d

Why the 2.0 with belt wont they both have chains cus all the new cars now do.

The 2.2 ltr is the new engine and is chain driven but not the 2ltr its belt driven

the only belt on the 2.2 ltr is the Auxiliary belt for air con pump etc.

non of the new diesel engines has timing-belt. 1AD-FTV (2litre), 2AD-FTV (2,2litre) and the 2AD-FHV (2,2litre D-cat) all have chains and the disel pump is driven by the camshaft on the gearbox side. its the old 2litre (1CD-FTV) that has timing-belt.

This is the email i had from toyota

Thank you for your e-mail with regard to your Toyota Avensis TR 2.2 Diesel.

I can confirm your vehicle had a timing chain, so will not need to be

replaced at set intervals. The 2.0 Diesel has a timing belt.

I hope that answers your question, if I can be of any further assistance to

you, please contact me direct.

Kind regards,

Paul Parsons

After Sales Manager

Steven Eagell Toyota Bedford

Tel 01234 822941

Fax 01234 826141

DDI 01234 827180

As said above, the OLD 2.0 diesels are belt driven but the new 2.0 litre,2.2 and 2.2 D-cat are all CHAINS!!

The chains dont run in oil either, oil is sprayed onto them inside the timing chain cover.

Mart. :)

As said above, the OLD 2.0 diesels are belt driven but the new 2.0 litre,2.2 and 2.2 D-cat are all CHAINS!!

The chains dont run in oil either, oil is sprayed onto them inside the timing chain cover.

As i said then the chain runs in the engine oil..

As i said then the chain runs in the engine oil..

Well to me saying something runs in the oil means it actually passes through the oil itself which the chain doesnt. Thats why i pointed out the oil is sprayed onto the chain :)

Either way, there isnt a timing belt on it :D.

Mart.

Just been told by my Toyota dealer that my avensis needs a new engine. I took it in because the heating had stopped working, they saw that the coolant level was low. After speaking with my fleet manager he told me that of the 15 we have in the fleet 4 have had this problem at around the 70k mark. Also spoken to an RAC man who confirmed that he knew of this problem also. <cut>

Palletman - did you find out what the problem was with your 2.2d engine Avensis engine? As I'm thinking of getting a 2.2d Avensis myself and keeping it for a long time is there a fundamental design flaw that will make all of these engines fail early? Am I better off going for the 2.0d which I believe is based on the 2.2d but a newer design?

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links