Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Thinking Of A New 1.0 T3

Falconar

Hi folks - first post here, hope this hasn't been done to death already but can't figure out how to search for '1.0' on this forum (says it's too short).

My local dealer has a good deal on a new 1.0 T3 Yaris, which is pretty tempting (we already have a 54 Verso which has been great, so Toyota fans). Seem to be genuinely going fast - one sold as we were in the showroom - so need to make a quick decision, so looking for any feedback on the 1.0 in particular (and T3 trim level in general), especially the sort the dealer won't tell me ;)

I'm looking for a reliable, well built and cheap to run commute-mobile that'll hopefully give me hassle-free motoring for a fair few years. It's usually just me in the car, and the journey is 65% motorway, 35% B-road. I'm happiest doing 65 in the slow lane - takes 5 minutes longer, but much less stressful - and don't really care much about performance (or, strictly speaking, can't afford to ;) ) but i'm still worried that the 1.0 will be underpowered for the motorway and i'm going to have to flog it. And how's the comfort - i'm not tall (5' 10") so should be ok, but don't want to find out in three months time that the seats are awful...

And anything else much appreciated from anyone who has one? Or who decided not to?

Cheers, Ben.

P.S. how do you change a headlight bulb? Current car needs two hours of workshop time for a full bumper-off job (seriously, £90 labour, £4 lightbulb) and i'm not getting caught that way again :(

Hey Ben

My personal opinion is that the 1.0 Yaris struggles - it's the same engine as in my Aygo and it's perfectly suited to that type of car as it's small and light and when I test drove the 1.0 Yaris I was fairly disappointed. If you are going to choose a Yaris, I would recommend the 1.3 as it handles so much better.

Of course if you are looking for really cheap motoring, why not go for an Aygo - on the motorway you'll get at least 55-60mpg and the road tax goes down next year to £20. :thumbsup:

Yaris wise the T3 trim is perfectly adequate and should suit all your needs, I would certainly recommend it over a T2 model. Comfort wise you should be ok, but bear in mind it probably won't be as comfortable as your Verso, the seats are certainly not the worst I've ever come across, just don't expect luxury ;)

Hey Ben

My personal opinion is that the 1.0 Yaris struggles - it's the same engine as in my Aygo and it's perfectly suited to that type of car as it's small and light and when I test drove the 1.0 Yaris I was fairly disappointed. If you are going to choose a Yaris, I would recommend the 1.3 as it handles so much better.

Of course if you are looking for really cheap motoring, why not go for an Aygo - on the motorway you'll get at least 55-60mpg and the road tax goes down next year to £20. :thumbsup:

Thanks - pretty much confirms my worries. Looking at the brochures it looks like the Yaris is 25% or so heavier than the Aygo, so it looks likely to be very sluggish unless pushed hard. I've got a test drive booked for tomorrow which should give me a better idea, but it's going to be more of an 'about town' trip and isn't going to include a long stretch of my normal commute (can book that, but i'm away on work next week so it'll be a while - the quick spin is the only thing I can fit in before i'm away).

I like the look of the 1.3SR a lot, but (given the offer price for the 1.0T3) it's a lot more money. Main problem with the Aygo is the four seats, so the whole family won't fit in it. Won't be a problem often (that's why we have the 7-seat verso) but would be inconvenience.

Hi,

I've just got a 1.3 SR but before I did I test drove both a 1.3 TR and a 1.0 T2 and have got to say that I really rated the 1.0 engine. It was nippy and responsive and didn't seem to struggle at any time. Believe me I didn't just potter about in them either, I put them through their paces.

I went for the 1.3 SR eventually for the looks but I would definately recommend the 1.0 as an option.

HTH.

The 1.0 engine is still a 3 Cylinder Daihatsu in manufacture and sold under license as a Toyota...and it sounds like a small diesel lump...sorry my views......Best to go for the 1.3 TR and with the 0% finance that is available at the moment it is a better buy and in the long run you will be far happier...We have one and it is fantastic and I also own a 54 plate 1.0 blue with the 4 Cylinder engine....even my local Toyota salesman does not rate the 3 Cylinder...gods honnest truth.

hey,

Heard quite a lot of stories about the 1.0 struggling on the motorway and slopes... I've got a friend who has a 1.0 T3 engine... It's very nippy but the noise from the revs is jusst unbearable at times...

The new Yaris is a much bigger and heavier car than the older one, if you have 4 or 5 people in it plus luggage I think you will struggle with a one litre 3 cylinder engine.

The 1.3 SR is a TR underneath with a few extra toys, I would opt for the 1.3 every time only because of the actually size of the Yaris.

You bring up the most important point here. The new Yaris is big and that 1-litre just can't cut it. Driven it on several occasions, it's not quick. Even with three people and no luggage, it will struggle uphill on the motorway.

Got to drive both the 1.0 and 1.3 today. I was impressed with the 1.0 in town and on a twisty B-road, but found the 1.3 quieter, smoother and a lot more go above 60mph - going from 55 -> 70 to overtake a lorry was much easier with the bigger engine. If I was after a town car with occasional motorway use then i'd be happy enough with the 1-litre, but I do too much motorway driving. The 1.3 looks a much better bet.

The slight downside is that the basic 3-door 1.3 TR is two grand more than the offer on the 1.0 T3, and the 1.3 SR - which looks a worthwhile upgrade to the TR trim - is another grand on top of that. And I think they're both pretty new, so not much in the way of used/ex-demo stock (or dealer discounts?). 0% is some consolation I guess, but it's still a bit more than I was hoping to spend. Hmmm....

2 grand less for a new t3 over a TR. heck that is abit of a difference its normally the other way around. its alot to spend just for a bigger engine but i guess at the end of the day it depends on how much u want it. if u are gonna spend that much more than at least try and grab it on the 0% fi. btw have they expanded the 0% deal i was told it was only for cars delievered upto the end of march?

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links