Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Bent 16" Alloy Wheel

JohnYossarian

Hello,

Last week I had to change my front tyres. Unevenly and symmetrically worn on the outside, Mr. T said the wheels were perfectly aligned (anyone else experiencing this?). Someone mentioned that it might be due to the power steering.

Anyway, call the mobile fitter and when he took off the left front tyre (the one that "speaks" to the kerb) he found out that the wheel was slightly deformed. I have never had a problem with tyre pressure, for months the pressure will be at 2.4 bars without any change (rather surprising I have to say) so I tought that one can survive with a deformed wheel. I have not noticed any vibrations when driving at 80-ish miles/hour either .

My question is, should I and if yes, how quickly replace the dented alloy wheel with a genuine Toyota 5 spike/5 studs one (how easily is to get hold of one)? Or should I change at least both front ones in order to keep the car balanced?

I am sorry if the questions sound daft, but I have no experience whatsoever dealing with alloy wheels, my previous cars had steel wheels.

Thank you in advance for chipping in!

Cheers,

John

Hello,

Last week I had to change my front tyres. Unevenly and symmetrically worn on the outside, Mr. T said the wheels were perfectly aligned (anyone else experiencing this?). Someone mentioned that it might be due to the power steering.

Anyway, call the mobile fitter and when he took off the left front tyre (the one that "speaks" to the kerb) he found out that the wheel was slightly deformed. I have never had a problem with tyre pressure, for months the pressure will be at 2.4 bars without any change (rather surprising I have to say) so I tought that one can survive with a deformed wheel. I have not noticed any vibrations when driving at 80-ish miles/hour either .

My question is, should I and if yes, how quickly replace the dented alloy wheel with a genuine Toyota 5 spike/5 studs one (how easily is to get hold of one)? Or should I change at least both front ones in order to keep the car balanced?

I am sorry if the questions sound daft, but I have no experience whatsoever dealing with alloy wheels, my previous cars had steel wheels.

Thank you in advance for chipping in!

Cheers,

John

Hi John

I use 16" discs also (made by AEZ) but have no such problemeen when change winter/summer tyres.

Cheers/Igor

Do get it replaced or repaired ASAP. A bent wheel can affect handling and potentially could lead to a blow out or the wheel coming off the rim under pressure.

Even quite badly bent wheels can be repaired as long as they're not cracked so look at that first; should be about £50 + VAT or so, compared to perhaps £200 or more for a new wheel.

If one is bent then replace only that one - they're not like shocks or disks etc which should always be replaced in pairs.

Check also for prices on eBay. As so many people upgrade their wheels (maybe not so much with the Avensis) you may find a good deal on three or four wheels with tyres that's much cheaper than the price of a single wheel from Mr T.

Do get it replaced or repaired ASAP. A bent wheel can affect handling and potentially could lead to a blow out or the wheel coming off the rim under pressure.

Even quite badly bent wheels can be repaired as long as they're not cracked so look at that first; should be about £50 + VAT or so, compared to perhaps £200 or more for a new wheel.

If one is bent then replace only that one - they're not like shocks or disks etc which should always be replaced in pairs.

Check also for prices on eBay. As so many people upgrade their wheels (maybe not so much with the Avensis) you may find a good deal on three or four wheels with tyres that's much cheaper than the price of a single wheel from Mr T.

Hi T600

Thanks for this explanation! I have been looking for services that repair bent wheels (not all of these advertise this type of repair, most do polishing and alike).

I am waiting for some news from Kingo who have already helped me with the replacement of my disc brakes and pads.

I simply do not like the idea of having something bent making thousands of rpm under more than a ton heavy car.

I was not sure whether alloy would survive straigthening as the stress left behind might be significant.

Cheers,

Jordan

I was not sure whether alloy would survive straigthening as the stress left behind might be significant.

I know what you mean; I'm amazed by how badly an alloy can get before it's beyond repair according to some people. There was a Clio wheel posted here a few weeks back which was going to be repaired (according the person who posted the pics) and it was well mangled. There's no way I'd have been happy with that on my car whoever did the straightening.

If you do go for having it straighted then definitely find somewhere reputable. And if they say it's beyond repair then take their advice.

But a new one is the best option really and Kingo will do you a decent price.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links