Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Auris Or Golf

AndyMM

Greeting all, I am hoping for some personal opinions please.

I am going to upgrade from a Micra which has done me well for the last 60,000 miles (in 2 years) but my back is telling me the time has come to upgrade.

I do purely motorway work through Europe so comfort followed by reliability is my overriding concern :-)

Looking at (New) a 1.9tdi Comfortline Golf (same as SE UK spec) and a 1.4d4d Auris.

The seats on the Golf are lovely with proper adjustable lumbar support.

The Auris has a great warranty but the seats are not as comfortable.

Both seem nice and quiet/smooth on the Motorway

My question is putting aside the odd speak or rattle has anyone had recent experience with both the Golf and Auris and what are their thoughts on the comfort side ?

I know the Golf seems to have lost its reputation for reliability but most of the comments I see relate to the Mk4, the MK5 seems to have the odd minor probleme but nothing too terrible. (as in stuck by the side of the motorway terrible)

Price wise they are coming in pretty much the same. and as I am looking at keeping for the next 5 years or so a grand here or there does not worry me that much.

hmm pretty hard to decide there.

I myself drive an auris 1.4 petrol, and i have a friend who drives a golf 1.4 petrol. test drove each others cars and my friend said that the auris felt more smooth when on the road, but the golf also haves a very smooth ride. the car itself feels pretty much the same but talking finance they are very different.

id go with the auris, mainly because toyota has a very good reputation of it not breaking down. but thats just my opinion.

Mazda 3 1.6d is also an option.

Mazda 3 1.6d is also an option.

Thanks, I had looked at the Mazda which is lovely. Problem is there is the nearest Mazda dealer to me is about 40 miles. I have a VW dealer 5 mins walk from home and a Toyota dealer 5 mins walk from work. :-)

My vote for Auris. But not 1.4 D-4d. 2.0 D-4d is better choice.

Golf it is a great car but do not count on VW dealer if you have any issues. Toyota service is much better-so far.

My vote for Auris. But not 1.4 D-4d. 2.0 D-4d is better choice.
Yeah I agree 2.0 D-4d is better and the 1.4 is only really suitable for the lighter Yaris and Corrolla. It is also very cheap to run (Old uk Taxband C, easily achievable 44-50mpg, uk group 6 insurance, and never under powered as long as you keep it in the very narrow torque band when overtaking). If you can not afford it, get it second hand with 15,000 miles on the clock for 10k and 2 year warranty left.

Whatever you go for it is good to keep in Japanese.

In terms of the car itself, I probably shouldn't say this as an Auris owner, but I would go for the Golf as I remain disappointed with the low rent interior of the Auris and have serious misgivings about the long term durability of the interior. I think Toyota have let us down on this point and I may not have have bought the car if I knew the issues about this at the time. I also think as a new model, the petrol engines (and some diesel) are crying out for a 6 speed gearbox.

It does have its plus points though - I like the shape, practicality, space, engine (petrol in my case) and unlike some others i rate the standard fit mp3 cd player. I haven't as yet needed to use the dealers as I have not had the squeaky brakes issue - well only once or twice and only when the wife drives the car lol!

I actually test drove a golf and was fairly impressed but it was a bit more expensive and wasn' t sure about the dealers. Strangely, I couldn't get used to the accelerator as you had to really push it hard to get any respnse and it felt odd! At least it is a solid car and I suspect very durable. Not sure about reliability or the dealers though as not in a position to advise accurately.

Thanks, I had looked at the Mazda which is lovely. Problem is there is the nearest Mazda dealer to me is about 40 miles. I have a VW dealer 5 mins walk from home and a Toyota dealer 5 mins walk from work. :-)

What about Honda or BMW?

Although I'm a huge Toyota fan I don't think I could bring myself to buy an Auris, so if I was buying a new car I'd look at the Civic or the BMW 1 series. The latter may be more expensive, but its residuals will more than make up for the extra cost.

Not that I'd buy a new car - I'd get a 3 year old Rolla for less than half the price. And if you're concerned about problems then take out an extended warranty. Job jobbed.

What about Honda or BMW?

Although I'm a huge Toyota fan I don't think I could bring myself to buy an Auris, so if I was buying a new car I'd look at the Civic or the BMW 1 series. The latter may be more expensive, but its residuals will more than make up for the extra cost.

Not that I'd buy a new car - I'd get a 3 year old Rolla for less than half the price. And if you're concerned about problems then take out an extended warranty. Job jobbed.

I have just got back from an hour with an Auris. I actually like the car but the seat did my back in after only 60 minutes. Amazingly I found the seat of the Micra more comfortable (Not the car though, the Auris felt beautifully put together and very smooth)

Looked at the Civic but the fuel consumption stopped that trend, the 1.4d is amazingly slow and only manages about low 40s, the 2.2d is amazingly fast and does 55mpg but cost a bundle to insure and buy

BMW too much money for what you get.

I think a Comfortline/SE Golf is what I am going for, comfortable and gives me about 60mpg.

Thanks to all

Greeting all, I am hoping for some personal opinions please.

I am going to upgrade from a Micra which has done me well for the last 60,000 miles (in 2 years) but my back is telling me the time has come to upgrade.

I do purely motorway work through Europe so comfort followed by reliability is my overriding concern :-)

Looking at (New) a 1.9tdi Comfortline Golf (same as SE UK spec) and a 1.4d4d Auris.

The seats on the Golf are lovely with proper adjustable lumbar support.

The Auris has a great warranty but the seats are not as comfortable.

Both seem nice and quiet/smooth on the Motorway

My question is putting aside the odd speak or rattle has anyone had recent experience with both the Golf and Auris and what are their thoughts on the comfort side ?

I know the Golf seems to have lost its reputation for reliability but most of the comments I see relate to the Mk4, the MK5 seems to have the odd minor probleme but nothing too terrible. (as in stuck by the side of the motorway terrible)

Price wise they are coming in pretty much the same. and as I am looking at keeping for the next 5 years or so a grand here or there does not worry me that much.

Thirty thousand miles a year is a lot in a Micra...both the Auris and the Golf are going to be a massive improvement. TBH if I was doing that many miles I would look for an Accord, maybe 12 month old if you didn't want to spend the extra money buying new.

In regards to the seats the ones in the Auris could be more supportive and I am suffering with my lower back after spending long time in car. They do not have adjustable lumbar support either. If you found the Golf seats comfortable and better for your posture (given the fact you are already suffering with your back) then maybe, out of the Golf and Auris, the Golf would be the better choice for you. If you do go for Auris though I also agree with the others and would say go for the 2.0ltre D4D, especially with all the motorway driving you do!

I have just got back from an hour with an Auris. I actually like the car but the seat did my back in after only 60 minutes. Amazingly I found the seat of the Micra more comfortable (Not the car though, the Auris felt beautifully put together and very smooth)

Looked at the Civic but the fuel consumption stopped that trend, the 1.4d is amazingly slow and only manages about low 40s, the 2.2d is amazingly fast and does 55mpg but cost a bundle to insure and buy

BMW too much money for what you get.

I think a Comfortline/SE Golf is what I am going for, comfortable and gives me about 60mpg.

Thanks to all

Your above response wasn't there when I started typing my previous post (can take me a while to write them when I'm at work :P ) But I see you came to same conclusion with seats.

In terms of the car itself, I probably shouldn't say this as an Auris owner, but I would go for the Golf as I remain disappointed with the low rent interior of the Auris and have serious misgivings about the long term durability of the interior. I think Toyota have let us down on this point and I may not have have bought the car if I knew the issues about this at the time. I also think as a new model, the petrol engines (and some diesel) are crying out for a 6 speed gearbox.

It does have its plus points though - I like the shape, practicality, space, engine (petrol in my case) and unlike some others i rate the standard fit mp3 cd player. I haven't as yet needed to use the dealers as I have not had the squeaky brakes issue - well only once or twice and only when the wife drives the car lol!

I actually test drove a golf and was fairly impressed but it was a bit more expensive and wasn' t sure about the dealers. Strangely, I couldn't get used to the accelerator as you had to really push it hard to get any respnse and it felt odd! At least it is a solid car and I suspect very durable. Not sure about reliability or the dealers though as not in a position to advise accurately.

I forgot to metion the seats - I also have to be careful with my back and I noticed that the seats did not seem to suit may back (incidentally my other car is also a micra - which i drive more and the seats seem ok!) - others have also mentioned this on this forum and other sites - I do seem to have got used to the seats as time has gone by but I don't drive it as much as the micra! - I say listen to your back - if the golf seats seems comfortable it is probably because they are and more importantly your back is saying the auris seats are not

I was looking at a group test of 8 hot hatches in an old Drive magazine earlier and noticed the Golf actually has about the best residuals in the group - better than the BMW even which surprised me. Taking that into account that would definitely make me go for the VW in preference to the other options (Test included 8 cars but no Rolla or Auris).

I'm with Doobs on the poor Auris interior - have said as much several times in different threads. I was actually shocked at how cheap and nasty it is in comparison to my Corolla when I first saw it in the showroom. The interior feel and look is important to me - more so than exterior looks (I have owned two Yaris Versos in the past which proves that :o ). I wouldn't consider an Auris at all uness they seriously revamp interior plastics where, presently, the Golf (and E12 Corolla) is streets ahead.

A real and significant backward step and a shame. Just my humble opinion of course:)

Hi,

Not sure if this helps you or not but here goes.

I have just ordered a T3 Auris and found myself drawn to it through necessity rather than choice.

My wife has owned a Golf GT TDi since new in February 2005 although the last 6 months or so it has been used by one of our driving instructors to conduct lessons. I have driven this car numerous times and although a very good car on the road, I had always struggled to get a comfortable seating position over longer distances. I am not the smallest at 6ft and 17st but my brother-in-law is almost my opposit at 5ft 8" and 9st and he found the same problem over longer distances. My wife who has only used the car for shorrter trips doesn't understand our complaint as she has always been comfortable.

Back to my choice of car - at the moment and for the next year or so I will have a large frame on my lower left leg as I recover from a longstanding injury from a motorcycle accident, hence the reason to look at the automatics. Golf was my first choice with leather interior but no real room and not comfortable for my leg once in and I realised the limitations in the drivers floorpan. New Honda Civic couldnt get my leg in although this is one of the best cars I have been in for longer distances as passenger and driver before I got the frame. The Auris has much more space in the drivers area for headroom and legroom for both length and width. I felt the seat was comfortable but not driven it at all, never mind over a longer distance but the seat did seem substantial in the T3.

With regards interior quality, maybe not the best but still of a reasonable quality and will suffice for my needs. Didn't feel at £14180 that it was a dear car for the 1.4D4D T3 MMT 5 door in black.

I will certainly update re comfort when I get it as it is my intention to go longer runs early on in my ownership to make up for the last few months not driving !

I have no experience with a Mk5 Golf or an Auris so I can't offer any advice on the cars but what I would recommend is to also sign up to a VW forum too. I haven't read the thread so it may have already been mentioned but if you come on a Toyota club you'll get people who recommend a Toyota just because they've got 1, if you're after a more generalised opinion it's always wise to sign up to a few sites & read both sets of opinions at the same time

I'm with Doobs on the poor Auris interior - have said as much several times in different threads. I was actually shocked at how cheap and nasty it is in comparison to my Corolla when I first saw it in the showroom. The interior feel and look is important to me - more so than exterior looks (I have owned two Yaris Versos in the past which proves that :o ). I wouldn't consider an Auris at all uness they seriously revamp interior plastics where, presently, the Golf (and E12 Corolla) is streets ahead.

A real and significant backward step and a shame. Just my humble opinion of course:)

I agree with everything you say - I can't say I am extremely unhappy with the car, just disappointed as i expected better from Toyota - my Auris replaced my corolla and the corolla certainly had a higher quality and more durable interior - I was going to get a nearly new corolla (last year) but was concerned about long term residuals and paying a nearly new price for an out of date model

I agree with everything you say - I can't say I am extremely unhappy with the car, just disappointed as i expected better from Toyota - my Auris replaced my corolla and the corolla certainly had a higher quality and more durable interior - I was going to get a nearly new corolla (last year) but was concerned about long term residuals and paying a nearly new price for an out of date model

Yes, that was exactly how I felt - I expected much much better of Toyota. I've had quite a few Toyotas over the years and this significant falling away of interior quality really did leave me shocked. Especially since the company seemed to have almost got it cracked with the E12. But the cheap 'Fisher-Price' toy interior look isn't confined to the Auris. It has now appeared in the latest generation Yaris and is evident in the Aygo (where just maybe overall price can mitigate this cheapness). Generally, I feel that Toyota is heading in the direction of Ford and Vauxhall who's interior plastics are unspeakably bad. For me, personally, it will stop me buying Toyota altogether until it is improved - and I don't say that lightly as a Toyota fan of many many years standing :(

I don't doubt though that the Auris will have other,positive, attributes but for me the interior plastics remains a showstopper.

Hi

Ive had two golfs, one being the current MK5 and had the latest SEAT LEON, both the 2.0L TDI's

First the ownership experiance, The LEON was by far the best

Both Golfs and the LEON proved trouble free apart from some minor trim issues, all fixed first time and FOC

My Auris is ok for what I need, but do find the seats are some soft and cause discomfort after a couple of hours driving, the addition of lumber support would probably fix this, the rattles are now at the point that they dont disappear after a few miles and are now at the point where I can here them over the radio :angry: Compare to the SEAT and Golf the interior is low rent... I noe know why toyota could sorce a car within a week and the other two marques would be 8 wks at best

The service intervals for UK D4D's sucks every 10K miles yet the european hand book states 25KM (18K miles) :(

Unless Toyota improves the interior trim and moves to longer service intervals I wont be looking at anothe Auris in 14months time..

I'm really glad you guys have been discussing this as I was going to buy an Auris without looking at other makes :eek:

I've now decided to consider VW, SEAT and Honda hatchback's - I may still be with Toyota but posture is a major concern - hence why I've already ruled out the likes of Vauxhall and Ford

Keep the chat going

... if you come on a Toyota club you'll get people who recommend a Toyota just because they've got 1.

I'd have thought so too but it's quite concerning that this is not the case!

I bought my Auris with intention of hanging onto it for many years so can save to get on property ladder but 6months down the line and I'm not so sure this will happen. I've just ordered a seat back support cushion to help with the back ache I get after longer journeys. I find the lower back and side support is insufficient from the drivers seat but I might just be too slim for the seat? Mind you I am only 26 and have never had a problem with back ache before from driving?

Hi, Personally I wouldn't touch anything from "VAG" Skoda Seat et all. I have first hand experience of the German build quality. The "apparent" build quality is excellent, the reality is anything but. This was on two new cars, a 1995 A4 and an 2002 A2 TDI. If anyone is intersted I will list the problems, be warned it,s fascinating reading. Had T-Sport 6 years now, one leaky front shocker only problem, the lift is addictive, and it's more economical than you would believe if your careful, trip is currently showing 43 mpg (always reset it when filling up) the true figure nearer 41-42. Tried a new 1.4 D Auris, very impressed, very refined, not in the T-Sport league for top end pace but very nice drive. Dealer offered £4000 for mine, don't know if that was good or bad, they just wanted me to try the Auris when mine was in for service.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links