Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

1.4 Slow Acceleration Response

Jp-Auris

Not sure if its just the 1.4 engine that does this but i really dont like how late the acceleration response is.

what about the other engines? do any other of the bigger engines do this?

thanks.

Do you mean how late the acceleration is from a standing start at roundabouts etc…? If so that is one of the issue many people including myself have and it can be solved.

When we had petrol car we would raise the clutch and then add as much throttle as we like. This does not work in the D-4D as it seems to crawl for what seems like ages and only after a second or two give you too much power. What you need to do is raise the engine RPM a fraction of a second before you raise the clutch. It takes a little practice but you will get the hang of it eventually.

Yes if its the diesel you can get turbo lag

It shouldnt be as bad as you say but you need to spool the turbo up for an instant response.

So as suggested, rev it a bit higher, you need at least 1,800rpm to get the turbo spinning fully and ready for fuel injection.

Do you mean how late the acceleration is from a standing start at roundabouts etc…? If so that is one of the issue many people including myself have and it can be solved.

When we had petrol car we would raise the clutch and then add as much throttle as we like. This does not work in the D-4D as it seems to crawl for what seems like ages and only after a second or two give you too much power. What you need to do is raise the engine RPM a fraction of a second before you raise the clutch. It takes a little practice but you will get the hang of it eventually.

yeh i know what you mean as i always do that. but the thing is, is just that the response is slow, what i normally do when starting from stationary, is that i put my clutch close to the bite point and tap the accelerator and then let the clutch up and accelerate again. it gives me fast acceleration not wheel spinning. but its just that im having to put my foot on the accelerator for like a half a second or soo then the RPM moves.

mine is a petrol.

and thanks so far,

yeh i know what you mean as i always do that. but the thing is, is just that the response is slow, what i normally do when starting from stationary, is that i put my clutch close to the bite point and tap the accelerator and then let the clutch up and accelerate again. it gives me fast acceleration not wheel spinning. but its just that im having to put my foot on the accelerator for like a half a second or soo then the RPM moves.

mine is a petrol.

and thanks so far,

Its the Fly by wire throttle , cause there,s no throttlecable in the car i had the same problem with my Auris and that was 1600 it was slower than my previus Corolla E12 1600

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links