Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Performance Enhancement

PaulWorthing

As the Aygo never really had a proper 'Sport' model, i.e. with a bit more ooomph, does anyone know how you can boost the power in an Aygo without adding either a Turbo or Supercharger and whats the best sort of power I can expect with just some simple plugs, air filter, exhaust, re-chip type mods?

Chip tuning (actually Flash tuning) will give about 10% more power (petrol non turbo engine), add a sport air filter, complete exhaust front to rear, replace the sparkplugs. You should get somewhere around 78 hp. Probably drop the 0-60 time to 12 seconds or less :)

The tuning company ZipTuning in Holland has some info on their website.

Link: Ziptuning

Aygo 1.0 - 68pk

Torque: +8kW

Horsepower: +11pk (bhp)

Other mods to get more power:

- take of the catalic converter

- install a proper open airfilter with a good cold air feed

- install a new 3 to 1 sport manifold

- install a sport rear exhaust

All together I think you will get around 90pk.

Just like in the C1 Cup. B)

Rear exhaust does not do anything to increase HP, it only does more noise. Neither the manifold. And the flash 11 bhp will damage the engine. The flash tuning will do a maximum of 20% more hp. You can max the bhp but get fiability issues. So I say, only 10%-12% more, about 7-8 hp.

Rear exhaust does not do anything to increase HP, it only does more noise. Neither the manifold.

The Banzai Aygo was dynoed at 53.6wbhp before fitting a Hayward and Scott exhaust (and racing cat) after which it rose 12.1% to 60.1wbhp.

That's with no other mods.

Paul.

engine transplant :lol:

Induction Kit?

remove stuff you dont need: back seats, spare wheel (altough I suppose thats there cos you might need it :lol:

SJx

Hi

The exhaust flow is restricted around the manifold and cat area

a three branch manifold , and sport's cat would improve performance , but may raise engine bay temp , so insulate

to keep the heat in the exhaust system

the silencer proberly restricts as well (made on a budget) so something more free flowing would be good , but doesn't

have to be too noisy

I think the next thing to consider is the clutch , as I believe it to be a weak link , especially with wider tyres providing more traction

Richening the mixture will give temporary bhp gains , but if you want to keep the car I would avoid , you will burn more oil

and wear the engine quicker , unless you are adding more air (boosting) then you will need to add more fuel ,

The diahatsui charade turbo would be a good place to start looking for turbo options , if you can lower the compression ratio enough

also electric blower motors can give a mild boost , and could be operated on a throttle switch , or the cam advance feed wire

(thru a relay)

But in reality it's an economy car , If you start doing anything major , then you will need to look at brakes , gearbox , suspension , and all the tin connecting these components

With petrol heading for £5 a gallon , I want 100 mpg before 100 mph :thumbsup:

anyway best off luck

So if I add a sport exhaust (not a complete exhaust system) + sport air filter.. do I get anything? Because I don't think so.

Hi

I must admit my standard fit , higher flow panel air filter seem's better than the standard item , the engine seem's free-er reving

but you have to keep it clean , I've also installed a pipe to the front of the car for cooler clean air

as for the exhaust ... think of it as a hose pipe , with the manifold/cat as a kink in the pipe

no matter what you do , it won't improve the flow much , untill the kink is improved/removed

all just my opinion ...

without ripping the car apart and dyno-ing it with different configurations , no-one knows for sure

• 2 months later...
Hi

I must admit my standard fit , higher flow panel air filter seem's better than the standard item , the engine seem's free-er reving

but you have to keep it clean , I've also installed a pipe to the front of the car for cooler clean air

as for the exhaust ... think of it as a hose pipe , with the manifold/cat as a kink in the pipe

no matter what you do , it won't improve the flow much , untill the kink is improved/removed

all just my opinion ...

without ripping the car apart and dyno-ing it with different configurations , no-one knows for sure

people are saying the manifold is a restriction but surely the manifold bore size is not smaller than the exhaust port? this would lead to a massively inefficient engine? i mean for example an F3 engine breathes through a 26mm restrictor and still pushes 200hp. I am not suggesting bigger manifold won't help power but I don't think it's a restrictive as people think.

Here's a simple what you need list if you are looking for N/A tuning for the Aygo: -

Induction Kit (+ Optional Air Box Cover)

Citroen C1 Cup Full Exhaust System + Manifold

Denso Iridium Spark Plugs (Part Number IKH20)

Dastek ECU Re-Mapping

I could bore you to death with all the other requirements you'd need - chassis strengthening, uprated suspension components, lightweight alloy wheels to actually benefit from any of the above and various other ergonomics to be fulfilled like the interior etc...

Here's a simple what you need list if you are looking for N/A tuning for the Aygo: -

Induction Kit (+ Optional Air Box Cover)

Citroen C1 Cup Full Exhaust System + Manifold

Denso Iridium Spark Plugs (Part Number IKH20)

Dastek ECU Re-Mapping

I could bore you to death with all the other requirements you'd need - chassis strengthening, uprated suspension components, lightweight alloy wheels to actually benefit from any of the above and various other ergonomics to be fulfilled like the interior etc...

Can simply changing the induction system and the spark plugs make much of a difference. (Used to have a 1999 M3 with a hybrid induction kit, it never made it any quicker, but the noise it made was amazing)

id buy a new car... aygos werent built for performance. drive it steady and itll last more than a life time. ragging the sh*t out of it n tuning it wont get you far imo.

Can simply changing the induction system and the spark plugs make much of a difference. (Used to have a 1999 M3 with a hybrid induction kit, it never made it any quicker, but the noise it made was amazing)

Induction Kit, yes - Spark plugs? not sure... I had an Almera 1.5i before i had an Aygo and when i swapped out the OE Airbox for a K&N chap the difference was certainly noticeable, especially throttle response!

However i've yet to fit an Induction Kit to my car so i cannot say for sure how much of a difference it makes - your best bet is to go onto 107oc.com as the Peugeot 107 is mechanically similar (although weirdly heavier :blink: ) there's plenty of 107's rocking an induction kit so they'd be best to tell you...

The biggest performance enhancement any 107/C1/Aygo owner would ever require would be replacing the standard exhaust system with the system similar to the one i posted up there for the Citroen C1 Cup however there is a major fundamental problem there - it originates from Italy... Again however there is a UK-based option which is to go down the route of custom made Exhaust - i sent off an email to Exhausts UK (who do the Cobra exhausts) and here was the reply: -

"The quote for a Cobra Sport stainless steel exhaust system for your car from the cat back centre exit would be £335 and the manifold de-cat would be approx £550 subject to viewing"

The main question is do you want performance that much? As there is no guarantee the performance exhaust system will still emit 109g/km CO2 and hence will fail its MOT... I never seen the point of de-cats - all that hassle just so you can go faster? pretty pointless in this day and age but anywho that's your options dude

Coming from a girl racer!

im not trying to improve anything engine wise on my aygo... Im having a second toy to play with that will kill most 2ltr tubbys :D muhahahaha :D

the aygos cheap for what it is... im keeping mine as a daily driver :)

Im having a second toy to play with that will kill most 2ltr tubbys :D

Hmmm do tell ;)

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links