Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Lsd On Yaris Ts?

Noisetube

Hi guys, I recently got a 2006 Turbo Yaris (which is essentially a TS with the turbo kit fitted by the dealership)

Maybe you can help me, my question is, do TS's come with LSD (Limited Slip Differential)????

Some people say it does, some say it doesn't and then they will give you a gazillion different ways of checking it but then someone else will come a say that this way will only work for this sort of differential and this other one will only work for that kind and so on...

So, this seems like the right place to ask and get a straight answer or the way to test it for the YARIS.

Thanks!

By no means am I any sort of expert in regards to the Yaris but as far as I'm aware, no Yaris' has ever come with LSD as standard.

Someone of better knowledge will be along soon though to confirm it!

I'm pretty sure the Japanese 1.5 turbo didn't even come with an LSD.

Not sure on the newer versions.

I know the new yaris has a 1.8 engine here in the uk, without a turbo, what size is the engine in yours

Baby Yari, any input is appreciated, I didn't think so either but I really want to be sure.

Today I did some tests, I hosed the street with water and did a few hard standing starts and burnouts (With the Traction Control OFF) then waited for the street to dry off.

All the marks were even on both sides, burnout spots were equally dark, and the longer marks were the same length on both sides (got one around 3 meters long... I need gripier tires)

Then again, I googled into this piece of info:

"Now some people will chime in a say "hey wait, i dont have an LSD and i did a burn out and made two equal length tire marks". I am sure you did, as you should. The Open differential works of a large difference of traction difference between the wheels. If both tires have similar traction, both tires will spin with the same force, causing two very similar burn out lengths."

I guess I could try one wet and one dry :rolleyes:

Armored, its 1.5L, the same 1NZ-FE, it just has a Turbo Charger on it ;)

Quick test:

One tyre on a grass verge, the other on the road.

Do a rapid pull-away.

If you have an LSD, you will pull away quickly. If not, the wheel on the verge will spin.

I spoke to Envy Performance and they said no Euro-spec yaris had ever come from the factory with an LSD, however, this doesn't mean that manufacturers like Quaiffe haven't produced one!

If your car has a turbo, then it's clearly had some work, so it isn't out of the question that it may have a diff...

I'd love one. It's the one area that I think the TS is *really* lacking - scrabbling for traction out of tight turns, anyone? I'd certainly make it a faster cross-country tool IMO.

No... its probably an imported JDM Vitz RS Turbo or European TS Turbo (both factory models). And TRD do a LSD, so it could have been fitted as standard to the Vitz RS Turbo or even as an optional extra in Japan.

• 2 months later...

Hey, I´m back... just an update on the LSD, I did the "the grass test" and I could hear the wheel spinning like crazy on the grass while I was going nowhere :toast: ... so... No LSD here I guess.

The whole thing was to decide on the oil I was upgrading to, moved to redline (didn't notice any difference, I read it usually did, but not on my case, the previous owner might have upgraded already since it was also running Mobil 1.. which is better to what they use in the dealership )

Other than that, I got rid off my tiny exhaust, and went to a custom turbo back 2.5" used one long Magnaflow muffler instead of the resonator and another 7" round Magnaflow in the back, completely catless (I can actually just screw one of the Cats back on, by removing a little mid pipe)

The sound is great, not loud at all but enough too let the Civics know they probably shouldn't have messed with me once on WOT, great deep tone.

And the performance... HUGE improvement, I can't afford to dyno the car everytime I change something, but my 1/4 mile time went down a consistent 0.3 - 0.38sec

And LSD's... are for people who can afford them :lol: I bet not even earlp would reject a free LSD ;)

An LSD would rule on a TS, for a car with only around 106 bhp they can suffer spinning up the inside wheel on tight 2nd gear turns and roundabouts.

LSD's are not for the incompetant but would simply make a great car even better. Just look at at JDM Civic Type R as an example of this.

I may have to take a look at an afetrmarket LSD & TTE items.