Do Not Sell My Personal Information

How Do I Check/change The Gearbox Fluid!

BenN74

Hi,

Can anyone help?

My gearbox seems to be getting worse.

I have a late 2003 Avensis D 4D T Spirit, 104,000 miles on the clock. At first it was kinda jumping out of 1st gear when I changed o 2nd, or feeling like it wanted to I should say. Reverse as always been difficult and will not engage properly at times since I got the car 3 months ago.

The reason I believe behind it feeling as though it was trying to jump out of 1st whenever I changed up was a mixture of not depressing clutch fully, and changing to 2nd too slow.

It seems to be worse when it is cold.

For peace of mind I would like to check the gearbox fluid level is OK and I'm not doing more damage drivig with it too low or empty.

So can someone help?

How do I check the gearbox fluid? Or is it not something I can do myself?

Can I top it up? Or change it completely possibly?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thank You!

Your oil should be Semi-Synth-SAE:75w/90. Box holds about 4 litres, filler plug at front of box 1/2 way up box with washer behind it. Be very careful taking bolts out of G/Box make sure you remove correct bolt. If no oil drains out level could be low, drain plug should look all most the same & is placed right at bottom of box below N/S/F half-shaft. Worth a shot changing oil, cannot do any harm. I think you will be very lucky if oil change sorts selection problems out.

Again watch which bolts you remove, or ask local mechanic if any around.