• PipPip
  • 66 posts
  • First Name:Jem
  • Gender*:Male
  • Toyota Model: Avensis 1.8
  • Year: 1998

Posted 10 May 2008 - 10:08 AM

I am a newbie here so 'Hi everyone!'

Yesterday my Avensis would not start. To date it has been so reliable - the reason I bought Toyota, but I suppose all components fail at some point.
Turn the key and that happenrd was a 'click/tick' sound from the engine bay.

Turns out it's the starter motor sticking, and the recovery driver said I need to get it sorted.
He gave it a few wacks with a hammer but it wouldn't free up so we got the car going with a tow and a bump start.

Rang several Toyota dealers this morning, cheapest quote was about 200.

Looked on ebay and saw
these.

Anyone tried these - are they any good?

And how easy is it to replace the started motor with regard to access under the motor?
I guess if you have the facilities it's not so bad, but I'm going to be crawling under a jacked-up car.
Easy job or not?

Anything I need to be aware of when fitting the starter motor?

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#2 millhouse 84

millhouse 84

• Registered Member
  • 7 posts
  • Toyota Model: avensis

Posted 16 May 2008 - 11:40 AM

I am having same with my 02 d4d avensis I have looked around and ebay parts seem ok mate has landcrusier held together by ebay parts and no probs. I am going to try and recon mine. Go to 247 parts and you could fine recon and new at good prices.

#3 gazza1286

gazza1286

gazza1286

• Registered Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 991 posts
  • First Name:Gary
  • Toyota Model: Avensis 1.8SE 2000; MR2 MKII - Rev3 1996; Avensis 1.8 TR 2008; Celica VVTL-i 2005; MR2 mk3 2006
  • Year: 2008

Posted 16 May 2008 - 12:29 PM

There is a well documented problem with the Avensis ignition switches. Make sure the starter motor is at fault before parting with your cash.

#4 scenic

scenic

• Registered Member
  • 19 posts
  • Toyota Model: yaris 1.4 d4d sr

Posted 22 May 2008 - 10:59 PM

There is a well documented problem with the Avensis ignition switches. Make sure the starter motor is at fault before parting with your cash.

Yes, I agree with you. My wie has a 1.6 Avensis SE and hers was making clicking noise when she tried to start it. Had a new starter motor fitted which I was told would sort the problem out. That cost me 276.00 fitted. Following day had same problem. It turned out to be the ignition switch. It's only a small plastic round disc with a slot in it for the key. That cost me 50 + VAT + fitting. Problem is cured now thank god!

#5 Rvall

Rvall

Club Member

• Registered Member
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
  • Toyota Model: Avensis 2.0 1999
Contributor

Posted 13 June 2008 - 09:17 PM

I have to agree with last posters. Do NOT change your starterengine before really trying the ignition switch first.

Read more here:
http://toyotaownersc...showtopic=44971

I changed the starter for a lot of money, but it didn't help.
Finally I got the answere here and made this workshop for you.
It's so much cheaper!!!

#6 Jemmo

Jemmo

Club Member

• Registered Member
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
  • First Name:Jem
  • Toyota Model: Avensis 1.8
  • Year: 1998

Posted 13 June 2008 - 11:25 PM

It was the starter motor motor - I took it out to check it and all bits of a white plastic/ceramic came falling out. Got a replacement of ebay and fitted it - took about 45 mins. Starts smoothly and quietly now, much better than before.
But I'll keep an eye on the ignition switch. Thanks.

#7 Ndoni

Ndoni

• Registered Member
  • 1 posts
  • First Name:Arben
  • Toyota Model: Avensis
  • Year: 2004

Posted 30 June 2012 - 10:07 PM

Hi there, anybody tell me where is positioned the starter motor of the toyota avensis 2004

#8 eDrive

eDrive

• Registered Member
  • 18 posts
  • First Name:Kevin
  • Toyota Model: Avensis T-Spirit
  • Year: 2004

Posted 13 November 2012 - 03:35 PM

Any idea how to test to see if it's the starter motor that's gone or the ignition switch?
My 04 Avensis 2.0 vvti TSpirit had "hesitated" for a split-second on two occasions before starting, then the next day, it's just not turning over.
There's no "Click" just silence. The battery is fine, it was tested. I've pushed the key in as far as I can to see if maybe it's the Ignition Switch Assy, but there's no difference there. Rather than go and buy another starter or get that one reconditioned, and rather than go and buy a new switch assy, how do I tell which is causing the problem? The car has done 70,000 miles. Thanks.

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users