Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Avensis Starter Motor

Jemmo

I am a newbie here so 'Hi everyone!'

Yesterday my Avensis would not start. To date it has been so reliable - the reason I bought Toyota, but I suppose all components fail at some point.

Turn the key and that happenrd was a 'click/tick' sound from the engine bay.

Turns out it's the starter motor sticking, and the recovery driver said I need to get it sorted.

He gave it a few wacks with a hammer but it wouldn't free up so we got the car going with a tow and a bump start.

Rang several Toyota dealers this morning, cheapest quote was about £200.

Looked on eBay and saw

these.

Anyone tried these - are they any good?

And how easy is it to replace the started motor with regard to access under the motor?

I guess if you have the facilities it's not so bad, but I'm going to be crawling under a jacked-up car.

Easy job or not?

Anything I need to be aware of when fitting the starter motor?

I am having same with my 02 d4d avensis I have looked around and eBay parts seem ok mate has landcrusier held together by eBay parts and no probs. I am going to try and recon mine. Go to 247 parts and you could fine recon and new at good prices.

There is a well documented problem with the Avensis ignition switches. Make sure the starter motor is at fault before parting with your cash.

There is a well documented problem with the Avensis ignition switches. Make sure the starter motor is at fault before parting with your cash.

Yes, I agree with you. My wie has a 1.6 Avensis SE and hers was making clicking noise when she tried to start it. Had a new starter motor fitted which I was told would sort the problem out. That cost me £276.00 fitted. Following day had same problem. It turned out to be the ignition switch. It's only a small plastic round disc with a slot in it for the key. That cost me £50 + VAT + fitting. Problem is cured now thank god!

• 3 weeks later...

I have to agree with last posters. Do NOT change your starterengine before really trying the ignition switch first.

Read more here:

http://toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=44971

I changed the starter for a lot of money, but it didn't help.

Finally I got the answere here and made this workshop for you.

It's so much cheaper!!!

It was the starter motor motor - I took it out to check it and all bits of a white plastic/ceramic came falling out. Got a replacement of eBay and fitted it - took about 45 mins. Starts smoothly and quietly now, much better than before.

But I'll keep an eye on the ignition switch. Thanks.

• 4 years later...

Hi there, anybody tell me where is positioned the starter motor of the toyota avensis 2004

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Any idea how to test to see if it's the starter motor that's gone or the ignition switch?

My 04 Avensis 2.0 vvti TSpirit had "hesitated" for a split-second on two occasions before starting, then the next day, it's just not turning over.

There's no "Click" just silence. The Battery is fine, it was tested. I've pushed the key in as far as I can to see if maybe it's the Ignition Switch Assy, but there's no difference there. Rather than go and buy another starter or get that one reconditioned, and rather than go and buy a new switch assy, how do I tell which is causing the problem? The car has done 70,000 miles. Thanks.