Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Vsc - Any Point?

liverpoolmiss

Looking at a new Yaris 1.4 diesel...

VSC is an option at £350.

Is there any point to it - for an average, fairly steady driver who isn't going to be racing around? Has anyone got it on their Yaris?

VSC is a bit like having all the other passive safety features, you wont know how good it is until you have to use it. Imagine air bags a few years ago, nobody really wanted them but now they are standard on just about every car and have saved countless thousands of people from serious injury. VSC only works when you take emergency action trying to avoid something in the road, say you are in lane two of the motorway and you come across a car that is stationary in front of you, do you swerve right or left? the trouble is once you have taken a split second decision to swerve, you are likely to lose control of the car, especially in the wet when you are approaching at 70mph . VSC enables the car to be steered out of the way of a hazard without the car snaking into a severe weave, it appplies the correct amount of braking to each wheel so that you dont skid and lose it! How often does it ever come on? Not very often, but a bit like ABS, when it does, you will know about it and will be glad it was there

Kingo :thumbsup:

Probably the best £350 option/extra/modification you will ever spend on a car.

Forget all the tacky extras like massive wheels, lowered suspension big exhausts etc, you will be driving with a smug feeling knowing your car will keep you in a straight line with all four wheels on the tarmac when others will be in a ditch after the same manoeuvre.

If you have stability control it will also come with traction control, and along with your ABS + EBD you will be able to control situations like this...

Please wait a few seconds for Video to load!

just watched the vid...

I think u should go for it... It would be extremely useful in emergency situations on motorways...

agreed, sold !

I must admit i did have one or two situations in my old car where i felt esp do its job, never seemed much good for a quick launch but great whilst driving.

Airbags and ABS are now compulsory on all new mass produced cars.

Stability Control will be compulsory by 2012 in the States, so expect it to be the same over here within the next 10 years. I never driven a car with VSC, but any new car I buy in the future will definitely have it fitted :thumbsup:

I tested VSC on the Auris at the Ascari circuit in controlled conditions. Approach the cones at about 60 MPH, swerve left and right to simulate a late lane change, the car swerves but is under control, do the same without VSC and you end up spinning the car or at the very least, losing control and going sideways! VSC works, and if you never have to use it fine, but one day, just like an air bag, you may find you were glad you had it :D:

Thanks guys - very useful video and explanations. VSC has been added to the want list.

• 2 months later...
Thanks guys - very useful video and explanations. VSC has been added to the want list.

Personally i think VSC is a complete waste of money. I have had it on my last two cars and it did little for me.

There is proper VSC and Traction Control which has a computer with accelerometers and highly sophisticated software which controls the engine and brakes.

However in the Aygo I suspect that the VSC is little more than enhanced ABS, if the wheel starts to skid it will unlock the brake, if the wheel spins it applies brake to that wheel, and possibly cuts engine power. That's how it worked in my Puma and my Mini, and it certainly wouldn't stop you spinning the car in icey conditions. Also its only active at low speeds, once you go over 20mph the VSC systems are deactivated.

The cars in that video would have much more sophisticated and expensive monitoring and control systems than the little aygo. If your Aygo has VSC then please don't think you can drive without taking any notice of hazardous road conditions!

Seems to help this Aygo owner keep the car under control

Aygo VSC

and it certainly wouldn't stop you spinning the car in icey conditions.

No it won't stop the car spinning, but it will make it less likely and give you more of a chance to avoid hitting anything.

Also its only active at low speeds, once you go over 20mph the VSC systems are deactivated.

That seems a bit strange. In my last car you could turn the ESP off but it would always switch itself on again at speeds over 30mph. Are you saying that when you get to more than 20mph the VSC light comes on to tell you the system is not active, or does it tell you that in the owners manual?

Personally i think VSC is a complete waste of money. I have had it on my last two cars and it did little for me.

However in the Aygo I suspect that the VSC is little more than enhanced ABS,

That’s the best belly laugh I’ve had for ages :lol:

if the wheel starts to skid it will unlock the brake,

That’s ABS...

if the wheel spins and possibly cuts engine power.

That’s Traction Control...

That's how it worked in my Puma and my Mini,

The Puma ceased production 6 years ago, I think we can safely confirm that technology has improved leaps and bounds in that time. ABS VSC systems are different now than they were then especially as the Puma was actually a old Fiesta in a fancy dress :thumbsup:

and it certainly wouldn't stop you spinning the car in icey conditions.

Wanna bet :thumbsup:

Also its only active at low speeds, once you go over 20mph the VSC systems are deactivated.

VSC doesn’t deactivate when you go over 20mph :lol:

The cars in that video would have much more sophisticated and expensive monitoring and control systems than the little aygo. If your Aygo has VSC then please don't think you can drive without taking any notice of hazardous road conditions!

The actually physical components for VSC cost approximately £150 but obviously the manufacturers have their mark up on that. Vehicle Stability Control will be compulsory on all new cars within the next few years in the UK :thumbsup:

I'm on your bus TVOR, sorry Jeff McCrory but your posting is almost completely wrong in every respect

For those reading this post and thinking of VSC, please make your own mind up using the available "Facts" on the subject, there are plenty available THE AA WEBSITE explains a little bit about the subject, VSC does NOT cut out above 20mph :rolleyes:

As Tiff correctly pointed out, only 1% of drivers know what VSC is and how it works, which is more than the Traffic Light sequence :lol:

I remember the first time Mrs Kingo hit the brakes hard in the Yaris causing the ABS to work. She came home saying she had to brake hard when a level crossing barrier came down a bit swiftly, I think there is summat wrong wiv it she says, "The rumble strips came on" WTF is a rumble strip? turns out that is Mrs Kingo's name for ABS working as it should, stupid me, should have known better :rolleyes:

Only ever had it kick in once in icey conditions last year.

Slight uphill corner, car started to slide que dashboard lit up like a xmas tree and the car beeping at me.

Car put back in a straight line.

Of course if anybody asked i was drifting! :lol:

Anyone know how advance the new yaris VSC is? For £350 i wouldn't expect that much from it? Accelerometers used as G meters would be a little extreme for a city run about? The old yaris' EBD was a bit tame tbh although standard on most models i believe. It was only on the rear two brakes and so didn't have much effect. I agree VSC is better than nothing but i don't think it will be as good as that shown in the video. However it should be more than adequate for the situations you'd see in a yaris being driven on the road in normal conditions. In all fairness if the conditions were as bad as in that video you just wouldn't drive!

Woody27: Anyone know how advance the new yaris VSC is? For £350 i wouldn't expect that much from it?

There appears to be an urban myth about Aygo & Yaris VSC and ABS. You don't get some cut down version just because you have a cheaper/smaller car, it works in exactly the same way using wheel sensors and yaw rate sensors to detect sideways "slip"

The old yaris' EBD was a bit tame tbh although standard on most models i believe. It was only on the rear two brakes and so didn't have much effect

Not quite right I'm afraid, electronic brakeforce distribution, by its very name means the braking force is distributed to the wheels according to need, there would'nt be any point of only working on the rears as the car would be all over the place in an emergency situation. There is a pdf download at the bottom of the page that shows how it works. For £350 it is well worth the money

EDIT Sorry but TOC doesnt like the font in my document, I will try and resolve it later

The old yaris' EBD was a bit tame tbh although standard on most models i believe. It was only on the rear two brakes and so didn't have much effect

Not quite right I'm afraid, electronic brakeforce distribution, by its very name means the braking force is distributed to the wheels according to need, there would'nt be any point of only working on the rears as the car would be all over the place in an emergency situation. There is a pdf download at the bottom of the page that shows how it works. For £350 it is well worth the money

EDIT Sorry but TOC doesnt like the font in my document, I will try and resolve it later

O right thought i'd read this about the old yaris somewhere before but apparently not.

Looking at the new price list, if you have the VSC/TC as an option on the Yaris you get rear disc brakes!

It’s worth the £350 just for the brakes... Ask this guy :thumbsup:

Easily tested by going around a quiet roundabout (off the public road of course) with your foot to the floor, the dash light flashs the car beeps and you dont crash off!

Very impressive :thumbsup: