Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Steering Wheel Sticking

noz

I have serious problem with steering wheel power assistant ( or something else?). When engine is very loaded for example driving uphill, while turning the wheel more then once left or right to enter into the curves, experienced my wheel steering was sticking and powerless. In Toyota service they couldn't detect the problem and suggested to change power pump. This element costs more than 500 euro, and I don't want to waste money if this will not solve the problem. If you have similar problem and could advice me, please help!

• 4 months later...

I have serious problem with steering wheel power assistant ( or something else?). When engine is very loaded for example driving uphill, while turning the wheel more then once left or right to enter into the curves, experienced my wheel steering was sticking and powerless. In Toyota service they couldn't detect the problem and suggested to change power pump. This element costs more than 500 euro, and I don't want to waste money if this will not solve the problem. If you have similar problem and could advice me, please help!

I had an issue with mine (2002) recently but may not be the same cause.

The sensation, when straightening up the steering in slow corners or at junctions, was almost as if the power steering system stopped working momentarily (as if the pump had jammed etc). This happened to me twice before it went into the dealer.

The steering was also making a noise from within the car (squeeking at manouvring speeds)

The problem turned out to be a dry joint on the steering column Universal Joint (UJ) which was damaged.

This may help you with another line of investigation but the repair at £680 for a new steering column wasnt cheap either.

I would suggest that, uless the pump is electric (mine is run from the engine) it wont be the pump. Pumps run off the engine belts I would susspect would gradually decline to no assistance)

R

• 3 weeks later...
I had an issue with mine (2002) recently but may not be the same cause.

The sensation, when straightening up the steering in slow corners or at junctions, was almost as if the power steering system stopped working momentarily (as if the pump had jammed etc). This happened to me twice before it went into the dealer.

The steering was also making a noise from within the car (squeeking at manouvring speeds)

The problem turned out to be a dry joint on the steering column Universal Joint (UJ) which was damaged.

This may help you with another line of investigation but the repair at £680 for a new steering column wasnt cheap either.

I would suggest that, uless the pump is electric (mine is run from the engine) it wont be the pump. Pumps run off the engine belts I would susspect would gradually decline to no assistance)

R

Sorry, but the above response was incorrect as I was still having problems very like the ones you are having and the car went back to the garge where they identified that the rack was worn as well! This is likely to cost 850-900GBP! Ouch! :o

Make sure they check out everything before you commit to spend anything

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links