Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

D4d Obdii

raverchris

I've had a couple of experiences with loss of power and engine warning light in the last 2000 miles. After stopping to investigate and no obvious cause, light has gone out and everything appears normal.

Bought a Gendan ELM327 interface USB - EOBD OBD2, ISO PWM VPW CAN, but it reports 'protocol not detected' using Scantool.net freeware. (seems to work OK with 2003 Peugeot 206 diesel)

Can anybody tell me if it is possible to download the codes, or is the OBDII socket a red herring?

Although generally stated for diesels after 2004, I thought Toyota were ahead of the game.

The car was first registered 1/1/03 and has connections wired for pins 4,5,6,7,9,11,13,14, & 16.

I have found some references suggesting that the protocol is ISO.

Any advice to save me wasting my time gratefully received

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• anchorman

• codswallop

• saffron

• raverchris

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Chris

Its from around the time the RAV 4.2 was face lifted to round spotlights. Even those with OBDII sockets did not detect the protocol - I think they were a convenient way of connecting the Toyota DLC3 tester.

You can get the flash codes though. I can send you a pdf file showing how to do it if you want to pm me with your email address.

Chris

Its from around the time the RAV 4.2 was face lifted to round spotlights. Even those with OBDII sockets did not detect the protocol - I think they were a convenient way of connecting the Toyota DLC3 tester.

My 2005 Rav has the round spotlights, my mechanic could read the fault codes with his reader but it did cost £600, I have exactly the same symptoms as you, mine shows a problem with the fuel pump on the code reader which seems to be a common fault, the SCV valves are £185.30 delivered from parts-king on here

Chris

My 2005 Rav has the round spotlights, my mechanic could read the fault codes with his reader but it did cost £600, I have exactly the same symptoms as you, mine shows a problem with the fuel pump on the code reader which seems to be a common fault, the SCV valves are £185.30 delivered from parts-king on here

Have you had them done yet Wack?

Chris

You can get the flash codes though. I can send you a pdf file showing how to do it if you want to pm me with your email address.

Thanks for that Anchorman. I have got the flash code as follows: ABS & Airbag lights flash continuously. Check Engine light 3 flashes - 1 second pause - 4 flashes - 3 second pause - cycle repeats. I'm not sure if this means P3400, P0340, P0034, or if the flashing lights have done something to my brain and I'm misinterpreting it completely.

Any further illumination gratefully received

Chris

Thanks for that Anchorman. I have got the flash code as follows: ABS & Airbag lights flash continuously. Check Engine light 3 flashes - 1 second pause - 4 flashes - 3 second pause - cycle repeats. I'm not sure if this means P3400, P0340, P0034, or if the flashing lights have done something to my brain and I'm misinterpreting it completely.

This is the early 2 digit code but there is no 34. It is a diesel isn't it? If so the available codes are 32 and 35. DTC 35 has caused some problems in the past. Can you check again???

Chris

This is the early 2 digit code but there is no 34. It is a diesel isn't it? If so the available codes are 32 and 35. DTC 35 has caused some problems in the past. Can you check again???

Yes definitely diesel and confirm that it is 3 then 4 flashes. I have a 1.4Mb video clip of it if that is of any use.

Perhaps you could ask the local dealer as it doesn't show up on my info. I have found this but I don't know if it carries over to a diesel MAF;

http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=9wd7BxU...SoGPc&hl=en

I can probably find the values if you want to check the MAF.

Hi Anchorman,

I have exactly same issue on my wife's Avensis Verso D4D. I've also bought an elm327 reader - which wont talk to this vehicle (although talks to my volvo, and some fords I have tried it on). I've PM'ed you my email, if you wouldn't mind forwarding me the instructions on how to read the codes by another means.

Many Thanks,

Tim.

Chris

Itb willny wurk oan ma landrover, even tho its diesel and smelly. Cannae find the wiring; never mind the connection. Dae these things hae wiring???

• 3 weeks later...

Anchorman,

Thanks for sending me the details also. I too am getting a flash code of "34".

RaverChris - did you get anywhere with your investigations ?

I believe I have the SCV valve issue, but want to confirm before replacing them, and am currently trying to avoid getting fleeced by the Main dealer.

I've searched for toyota codes and the only reference I can find is :

TURBOCHARGER PRESSURE--ABNORMAL TURBOCHARGER PRESSURE

--TURBO CHARGER

--AIRFLOW METER/MANIFOLD/TURBOCHARGER PRESSURE SENSOR

--INTERCOOLER SYSTEM

--ECU

from http://www.off-road.com/toyota/tech/codes/, so not sure how applicable these are to the newer vehicles?

Could a fueling issue cause the above symptoms ?

I'm afraid they could and it sometimes catches the dealer out. They spent about £2k on pinky's when hers displayed similar symptoms (although from memory, different fault codes). It needs some special gear for testing the turbo pressure but if you have a knowledge of electrics and access to a digital test meter I can send you the process for checking the turbo pressure valves. It seems funny that you have that code if its the SCVs as something on the turbo side has obviously gone out of range.

You'll have to start somewhere.

Let me know.

Regards

I'm afraid they could and it sometimes catches the dealer out. They spent about £2k on pinky's when hers displayed similar symptoms (although from memory, different fault codes). It needs some special gear for testing the turbo pressure but if you have a knowledge of electrics and access to a digital test meter I can send you the process for checking the turbo pressure valves. It seems funny that you have that code if its the SCVs as something on the turbo side has obviously gone out of range.

You'll have to start somewhere.

Let me know.

Regards

Anchorman, if you don't mind sending me the sensor testing instructions, that would be most helpful. Now I know that a turbo part had been replaced previously, and phoning the dealer that dealt with that issue, they informed me that the Vacuum Regulating Valve and Turbo pressure sensor were replaced previously. Now it was certainly better for a period of time after changing those parts, but what is the likely hood that they have failed again ?

Also I appear to have 3 sensors on the turbo pipe (see attached), 1 is the turbo pressure sensor, 2 is the Vacuum regulating Valve (it says VRV on the side), but what is 3 (which appears to feed the turbo sensor)?

I have checked all the hoses, vacuum pipes etc, but they all appear fine.

whichsensorskw3.th.jpg

This is a closeup of sensor '3':

unknownsensorfo6.th.jpg

Thats the vacuum sensing valve (VSV);

VSV.jpg

VRV is really part of the EGR system.

I will send you the info ASAP

Sit tight!

• 4 weeks later...
Thanks Anchorman,

I'll run through the tests and see if that identifies an issue.

Hello

First time on the site with the exact fault as you have stated bringing me here (loss of power and engine light). Pulling over and turning off the engine clears the fault until it decides to re-occur. I've paid two toyota garages to diagnose fault and findings are code 34 and estimate of £2K for Toyota to fix (quoting new turbo).

I'm no mechanic but technically competent and having removed and inspected the turbo I reluctantly decided to get a refurb done on my Turbo at Midland Turbo. Had the refurbed turbo refitted and not surprising the same fault returned within half a mile.

Would be good to hear whether you've had any joy using Anchorman's pressure valve diagnostic process.

Anchorman

Just in case no reply from Codswallop, would be good to also receive the electric diagnostics process.

Thank for any help received.

Patko.

Thanks Anchorman,

I'll run through the tests and see if that identifies an issue.

Hello

First time on the site with the exact fault as you have stated bringing me here (loss of power and engine light). Pulling over and turning off the engine clears the fault until it decides to re-occur. I've paid two toyota garages to diagnose fault and findings are code 34 and estimate of £2K for Toyota to fix (quoting new turbo).

I'm no mechanic but technically competent and having removed and inspected the turbo I reluctantly decided to get a refurb done on my Turbo at Midland Turbo. Had the refurbed turbo refitted and not surprising the same fault returned within half a mile.

Would be good to hear whether you've had any joy using Anchorman's pressure valve diagnostic process.

Anchorman

Just in case no reply from Codswallop, would be good to also receive the electric diagnostics process.

Thank for any help received.

Patko.

Of course mate - just pm me with your email address as they come as pdf's

And while I'm at it - welcome to the club.

• 1 month later...

Sorry for not replying sooner.

I ran through a lot of the diags (even bought a pressure/vacuum gauage) and couldnt find anything outside spec. I also purchased a 2nd hand diesel pump from a newer vehicle (very cheaply) and swapped over the suction control valves just to see if that had any effect - but it didn't.

I need to locate some cheap sensors to try, but my wife (and I) have become quite good at driving around the issue, i.e. when coming to a hill, just keep a light foot on the throttle and try not to accelerate at all, and doing this the problem hasn't reoccured for many weeks.

I personally think it is an intermittent sensor fault, but at £200 a pop (new), I'm not in a position to go replacing those just yet. Hoping to visit a scrap yard and do a scour for any D4D engines.

Let me know how you get on.

• 4 weeks later...

I am having the same problem with my 2002 D4D Rav4 only it now has permanent power loss as though the turbo is no kicking in. It will drive to about 25mph now but no faster! Before this it would occasionly drive normally but mostly no faster than 40mph with foot to the floor! My scanner wont read it either. From reading this blog it would appear that it is a common problem and I am guessing that it is the fuel pump. Does anyone differ in opinion or have advice on what needs to be done??????

Welcome to the club Mike

Has the vehicle stored any fault codes? The light may not necessarily be on.

For more info on the SCV valves, Rupert's excellent post is now pinned in the maintenance section;

http://toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=87986

Hi Anchorman

I did get the codes read at a garage in blackpool and they told me that it was reading a fault on the turbo and a fault on the fuel pump. They wanted to replace the turbo and I refused because you can hear the turbo kick in if your out of gear.Unfortunately as a number of others have discovered my OBD2 reader wont read this car. But the symptoms that everybody else is having were identical to mine only now its just got worse. I was told that there was a modification available on this vehicle to do with the fuel pump but Toyota will not tell me what the modification was for. all I know was that they said the modification would cost about £200 for parts.

One can cause the other to throw up a fault. I believe the mod they refer to is the SCV valves and given that you have to start somewhere it is as good a place as any. Did you read Ruperts post? I believe your symptoms are similar.

One can cause the other to throw up a fault. I believe the mod they refer to is the SCV valves and given that you have to start somewhere it is as good a place as any. Did you read Ruperts post? I believe your symptoms are similar.

Yeah I read Ruperts post and I am just looking into buying the parts now. Thanks for your help.

Yeah I read Ruperts post and I am just looking into buying the parts now. Thanks for your help.

Anchorman, do you have the same info for the turbo fault code that FielderMike is seeing as you provided for me for the P0627 fault on the SCV vales? If we can see the wording that Toyota give the fault code it may well give us more insight into how one may cause the other. Sounds likely that it might though as the P0627 SCV code refers to actual fuel pressure being lower than target (due to the fuel not getting through because of the faulty SCV), in this situation the boost pressure will also be lower than target for the same reason and so may flag a turbo fault code.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links