• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Robbo0046

Robbo0046

• Registered Member
  • 12 posts
  • Toyota Model: Celica

Posted 29 May 2008 - 12:08 AM

Hi everyone, im looking for a bit of help!!!!! Hers the prob. My 2000 celica has started to overheat. I have flushed the cooling system and refilled it but still it overheats. I have checked the thermostat and its fine. The rad dose have a very small leak bsut not enough to cause the full rad to emty in 10 min. I just had a test done on the head and its fine as well. I have put rad weld in the cooling system so i flushed the rad with a high presher hose(i disconnected the two rad hoses from the engine) and I done the same with the heater pipes as there is no hot air being blowen inside the car. But when I run the engine, it dosent seem to be taking any water from the water bottle. There is no blockage in the rad so im out of ideas. Thats where you guys come in. ANY IDEAS???????????? :unsure:

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#2 GT Driver

GT Driver

Advanced Club Member

• Registered Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 102 posts
  • Toyota Model: GT (ST202) '96

Posted 29 May 2008 - 10:38 AM

Hi everyone, im looking for a bit of help!!!!! Hers the prob. My 2000 celica has started to overheat. I have flushed the cooling system and refilled it but still it overheats. I have checked the thermostat and its fine. The rad dose have a very small leak bsut not enough to cause the full rad to emty in 10 min. I just had a test done on the head and its fine as well. I have put rad weld in the cooling system so i flushed the rad with a high presher hose(i disconnected the two rad hoses from the engine) and I done the same with the heater pipes as there is no hot air being blowen inside the car. But when I run the engine, it dosent seem to be taking any water from the water bottle. There is no blockage in the rad so im out of ideas. Thats where you guys come in. ANY IDEAS???????????? :unsure:

Water pump?

#3 Robbo0046

Robbo0046

• Registered Member
  • 12 posts

Posted 29 May 2008 - 10:51 AM

Water pump?

I thought bout that but how do you test the pump? and do you know is it doable at home or do I need a garage to do it?

#4 gazbrown

gazbrown

Club Member

• Registered Member
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
  • Toyota Model: celica vvti 140

Posted 29 May 2008 - 12:54 PM

Was it taking water from the bottle before you used Rad weld ? That stuff is a bit risky and could have gunked up the pump.

Is the pump turning with the drive belt ?

If you download the celica workshop manual and go to page 222 it tells you how to remove and inspect the water pump. Looks simple enought but look like you need a specalist tool (I.e the SST)!

Download Manual

Hope this is of some help.

#5 Robbo0046

Robbo0046

• Registered Member
  • 12 posts

Posted 29 May 2008 - 01:01 PM

Was it taking water from the bottle before you used Rad weld ? That stuff is a bit risky and could have gunked up the pump.

If you download the celica workshop manual (its on here somewhere) and go to page 222 it tells you how to remove and inspect the water pump. Looks simple enought but look like you need a specalist tool (I.e the SST)!

The drive belt is turning the pump. Everyone has said that bout that rad weld, wish I knew that before lol. as for was it turning befor the overheating, I dont know :-( Il look into that workshop manual.

Thanks alot mate.

#6 Robbo0046

Robbo0046

• Registered Member
  • 12 posts

Posted 29 May 2008 - 02:38 PM

If you download the celica workshop manual (its on here somewhere) and go to page 222 it tells you how to remove and inspect the water pump. Looks simple enought but look like you need a specalist tool (I.e the SST)!

The drive belt is turning the pump. Everyone has said that bout that rad weld, wish I knew that before lol. as for was it turning befor the overheating, I dont know :-( Il look into that workshop manual.

Thanks alot mate.

Im starting to think that the thermostat might be faulty. When I checked it the big end of it did open up but only bout 5mm. But reading the manual it says that the other end , the valve lift should lift about 10mm as well which did not happen on mine. Im I getting confused or is the thermostat broke??????????????????????????????????

#7 gazbrown

gazbrown

Club Member

• Registered Member
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
  • Toyota Model: celica vvti 140

Posted 29 May 2008 - 03:12 PM

If the bottom end is not moving at all then it must be damaged.
Its that end that allows the coolent to flow, hence the manual tells you check that end for movement.
As you can see from the manual pic, the top end should be connected to the bottom end. sounds like yours must have cracked in half.
Replacing it sounds like a logical place to start.

#8 Robbo0046

Robbo0046

• Registered Member
  • 12 posts

Posted 29 May 2008 - 04:06 PM

If the bottom end is not moving at all then it must be damaged.
Its that end that allows the coolent to flow, hence the manual tells you check that end for movement.
As you can see from the manual pic, the top end should be connected to the bottom end. sounds like yours must have cracked in half.
Replacing it sounds like a logical place to start.

Thanks alot mate think iv just saved . i was going to take it into the stealers but im sure its the thermostat. I just checked it again and its defo not moving. Got one on order so fingers crossed!!! lol :yahoo:

#9 GT Driver

GT Driver

Advanced Club Member

• Registered Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 102 posts
  • Toyota Model: GT (ST202) '96

Posted 29 May 2008 - 09:17 PM

Thanks alot mate.

Im starting to think that the thermostat might be faulty. When I checked it the big end of it did open up but only bout 5mm. But reading the manual it says that the other end , the valve lift should lift about 10mm as well which did not happen on mine. Im I getting confused or is the thermostat broke??????????????????????????????????

Ah, sounds like you had a similar problem to me. Defo needs changing, that should sort it right out.

#10 fiz-vvti

fiz-vvti

Advanced Club Member

• Registered Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 126 posts
  • Toyota Model: celica vvti

Posted 29 May 2008 - 10:53 PM

mate i had a similar proble, it was the thermostat, got a new one put it but it still over heated, so now my car runs without a thermostat and its fine, no problems. my cousin works for the RAC and his older brother has his own garage and both are full qualified in mechanics, both have said the car is fine without the thermostat, all it means is that its will take an extra minute or 2 to warm up

good luck

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users