Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Thinking Of Getting The New Blue...

Reverend Benny

Hi Guys,

Just joined the forum hoping you guys could give me some advice and ideas....

Just got myself a car allowance and have been scouting around for small fuel efficient and somewhat environmental friendly fun cars.

Have narrowed it down to the c1,107,aygo fiat 500 and smart, the i10 and picanto is no option really..

Have always quite liked the Aygo and its cousins, think they are great fun to drive and quite cool looking, the only thing i really don't like is the drivers seat.

The car i am thinking about buying is the new Aygo Slate Blue with a manual gearbox and the 1.0 engine...

Since this is the first car i will be getting here in the UK (I am from ABBA land) i have a few questions...

Is there any chance of haggling when you are buying a new car ?? what i am thinking of is either walking in there and paying cash for the full thing in cash or getting the car on finance.

Is there an advantage of buying it cash (i.e. getting money from your bank) or do the salespeople get kickback money of they sell cars on finance ??

Is it any point getting the Toyota insurance or should i go to other insurance companies??, back home some companies give better rates for certain brands....

Was getting a quote on-line yesterday for 550 a year, sounded a bit steep but i guess since i haven't owned a car in the UK it brings up the price abit...

The only think i am thinking of buying as an extra is the little rear wing that i think makes the car looks nicer and alloy wheels, a decent stereo would be nice but i'll wait and what the integrated is like..

I am still considering the Fiat 500, but its a bit more expensive and the 1.2 engine is not as fun as Toyota's...

So whatcha think....???

Many Thanks...

//Hans

The car i am thinking about buying is the new Aygo Slate Blue with a manual gearbox and the 1.0 engine...

Since this is the first car i will be getting here in the UK (I am from ABBA land) i have a few questions...

Is there any chance of haggling when you are buying a new car ?? what i am thinking of is either walking in there and paying cash for the full thing in cash or getting the car on finance.

Nice choice of colour - Nothing to stop you haggling, discounts are available - I've got a slate on order, got a discount on it and didn't need to haggle, just asked what price movements were available on the RRP and the dealer went through the discount options he could do and I chose the one I prefered. I could of had a go at haggling after that but when I researched before hand what I fancied in extras there was nothing that I thought I must have that or get it thrown in anyway. I was pleased with the whole stress free experience, no hard sell, had a test drive on my own to check everything over - at the end of the day the sales man got an easy sale and I got a deal that was on par with what some have got by having to haggle.

Is there an advantage of buying it cash (i.e. getting money from your bank) or do the salespeople get kickback money of they sell cars on finance ??

I'd expect they'd get a commission on finance - you just need to work out the over all cost of the finance and compare it to paying cash (cash generally mean debit card or bankers cheque, money transfer rather than the hard stuff)

I've not got a clue which is best, it used to be cash is king but if you look at the supermarkets when you buy your food shopping they're doing everything they can to reduce the cash they hold via cashback so they don't have to pay bank charges to cash it themselves

Is it any point getting the Toyota insurance or should i go to other insurance companies??, back home some companies give better rates for certain brands....

Was getting a quote on-line yesterday for 550 a year, sounded a bit steep but i guess since i haven't owned a car in the UK it brings up the price abit...

Always shop around for insurance, cheapest isn't alway best, you need to weigh up what they offer and what you need like courtesy car etc...

Don't know whether 550 is good for you as it mostly depends on your location, job, where the car will be parked and your no-claim-bonus. I assume you have not asked for the quote with any no-claims-bonus. If you've had an x number of years continuous no-claims insurance history from driving in 'ABBA' land and have the evidence of it (general insurance certificates from last few years), then some UK insurance companies may accept this and your insurance should reduce alot. The quote I get for a new Aygo is £160 full comp but I have a full no claims history, clean license and don't live in the big city - this is alot cheaper than I'm currently paying on my clapped out 9yr old car worth £200 with 160k on the clock.

I wouldn't touch a FIAT with a sticky stick even if it was the 500. Having said that the Aygo is more FIAT reliability wise then previous small Toyota's. Cost cutting can only go so far. Guess where my glove box lid is, in the bin, it was so bad.

Hare are some more prices from non dealers.

http://www.carpricechecker.co.uk/new/TOYOTA/AYGO/Aygo/prices

Good luck and welcome aboard if you make the jump. The Aygo is a fun car to drive with real character. It looks a lot better than the 207 and C1 as well.

Regards

Andy

Many thanx for the good feedback, was over at the local toyota retailer earlier today (that was before i realised that i could get a car online new, from a non dealer) to have a look at the slate blue before i buy it.

They didn't have any but got to testdrive a platinum instead, since i have been driving a 107 as a rent car earlier i have to say that the seats in the platinum feelt a bit different than the 107 i rented.

Ok, i know its all alcantra and stuff but it feelt like they were "hugging" u a bit more than the 107 i had....could be that it had side airbags or maybe the alcantra ones are slightly different...

Anyhow, he claimed that he couldnt do much on the price cuz of the low margins, obviously the onlone fellas doesn't give them away so will head over again this week.

Again, many thanks for all the advice

// hans

Just been negotiating the purchase of a Slate Blue for my son this weekend.

I was offered a discount which would more than cover the cost of your insurance without having to ask.........................Discounts are available :thumbsup:

Hey! I've been driving the aygo blue for almost a year now. I bought it new but with delivery milage, so i got a new car with a bit of the price reduced because it had 15 miles or so on the clock.

The aygos a great little car, economic, safe, reliable, practical, cheap to insure and tax.... the list goes on for me. I do about 400miles a week for work and compared to other smaller cars ie, corsa's, peugeots, fiesta's etc, im saving a fortune on fuel!

As for your insurance, shop around and get what's best for you, not just in the price but in the cover itself.

Try haggling if you want, some salesmen will do anything to sell a car, and they do work on commission. They do have a lot of leeway in the amount they can sell it for (if it's new)! Don't let anyone tell you any different! Just remember, if you don't ask, you don't get! Ask for things like new mats, full tank of fuel etc (there's nothing worse than paying 8 grand for your nice new car, yet the first thing you have to do is go and put fuel in it!)

I'd say go for either of the blues, the bluetooth's a great feature and doesn't come as standard in "cheap" cars!

The advantage of buying new is you wait 3 years before having to get your first MOT, the garage tax it for you, the car's under warranty and theoretically you won't be paying out on repairs.

Good luck!

Nice one, is there any slate blue in the country yet ?? did you get to see it in its "flesh"

After i saw the platinum today i have a hard time making up my mind if i should pay the extra for the nice leather seats and steering wheel .....

Is it the same over here as in Sweden that the car dealers outside of the the bigger city's generally do better deals ??

Again, thanx for all the help :-)

The dealer had received his first slate blue last friday......................it was a bespoke ordered one for a customer with parking sensors and alloy wheels.

It looked very nice "in the metal"

• 3 weeks later...

So has anyone taken delivery of a Slate Blue Aygo then and, if so, any chance of putting some pics up so we can all see what it looks like in the real world

Ta!

Oh Dear . . . . . :o :yucky:

Well I guess that solves one question about my next new car - it ain't gonna be an Aygo, well not unless they do some better colours!

:lol:

You better blinking buy and Aygo...how long you been posting in here contemplating it :lol:

Get an 07 Lagoon blue - much better colour!! ;) Although the slate blue I think will look better is the flesh.

They do have a lot of leeway in the amount they can sell it for (if it's new)! Don't let anyone tell you any different!

Sadly another wild guess by somebody who hasnt any idea.........Go on then K44KRK, tell us all what the margin is in an Aygo? .........I can feel the steam rising :rolleyes:

The Aygo is a superb little economical car, yes salesmen get a comission for selling finance, why would'nt they? Toyota insurance is very competitive if you tick all the right boxes, if your too young/too old/ too many points etc they will not be cheap, but give it a go. TOYOTA INSURANCE This link may time out after a while, if it does, you can log on to Toyota.co.uk and click insurance from the home page if it fails

Kingo :thumbsup:

:lol:

You better blinking buy and Aygo...how long you been posting in here contemplating it :lol:

Yeah I know - I do talk about changing my car for usually about 12 months before actually doing anything about it. This time, unfortunately, it has been a lot longer as when we were thinking of doing it the landlord kicked us out so we needed a roof over our heads more than a new car!

I wonder what colours the IQ will come in . . . . .

Toyota insurance is very competitive if you tick all the right boxes, if your too young/too old/ too many points etc they will not be cheap

Love to know what the right boxes to tick are, I'm an insurers dream, high no-claims, perfect age, location, occupation - current insurer is charging me £160, toyota insurance quote £332 :o TI are underwritten by the same group as my current insurer, TI double the price, they're getting a big commission.

Oh Dear . . . . . :o :yucky:

Well I guess that solves one question about my next new car - it ain't gonna be an Aygo, well not unless they do some better colours!

Are you sure?

080501001.1.jpg

I got my Aygo Blue Slate on Tuesday and I'm MEGA Happy :D

My insurance has halved,

My Road Tax is less than a quarter,

Servicing costs less than a third - I took out the 3 year service plan

Can drive round London at no charge and hopefully the same in Manchester when their C charge comes in

My MMT drives like a sports car and it should do close to 60 miles to the gallon

The Slate Blue in real life is quite a classy colour IMO B)

Go for it mate. Won't find a better car in my opinion. I have nothing negative to say about the Aygo, and had mine for nearly 3 months now.

On the subject of margins, I had a deal of interest free credit (promotion at the time), £610 discount and a tank of fuel. My friend did too. Couldn't tell you what the margin is but it is clearly more than that. I don't think Aygos were as sought after when I got mine as fuel prices had not increased as they have in recent months. That will, obviously, change the level of deal a salesman be prepared will do.

My Son collects his new Aygo Blue next week.

He has got a healthy discount off the list price, full mud flaps fitted, Sill protectors fitted and a full tank of petrol.

I consider that an excellent bargain :thumbsup:

I've just popped a deposit down on an Aygo Blue, it's been a mad week with the 107 and C1 being at the top of my list several times but in the end the Toyota won out :thumbsup:

It was a little bit cheaper than the equivelent 107 (Urban Move) but with a more tasteful interior, better residuals and Toyota after sales quality that won me over in the end, I'm just waiting for the delivery date now.