Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Engine Ticking

avensis02

Need some help regarding the engine, 02 D4D Avensis. When the car is on it ticks very noticeably and when driving it, the ticking is very prominent all the way up to 4th/5th gear. Has anyone else had this problem, just know it's nothing serious but a dealer could rob me for fixing it themselves.

Thanks

Need some help regarding the engine, 02 D4D Avensis. When the car is on it ticks very noticeably and when driving it, the ticking is very prominent all the way up to 4th/5th gear. Has anyone else had this problem, just know it's nothing serious but a dealer could rob me for fixing it themselves.

Thanks

I have just had my '05 D4D(2.2) in at Mr T, who replaced all four injectors under warranty after I had reported this "ticking / rattle" under acceleration (as posted a few weeks ago.)

Much as the computer tells me I am getting better mpg, the confounded tick-rattle is still there, only now further up the revs range. THE CAR IS NOW RUNNING ONLY MARGINALLY BETTER.

If Big Igor in the Ukraine reads this, where to now for us Irish and Scots?

Regards to all,

Kevin.

Not sure of your county, that's your business. But if able to reach "Tom Hogan" the Ennis branch, ask for Ross the workshop foreman. Pay for an Hr's diagnostic check, If he or mechanics at branch cannot find fault I would be amazed.

I used to live in NW London near main Toyota/Lexus (am told by friends Lexus gone just Mr-T now ) dealership, they sold my car to 1st owner myself being 2nd owner. I feel sorry for Toyota owners in UK, had problems ie: Headlight fault, the one everyone is aware of never got it rectified Toyota UK could not give a dam about helping people with problems. Quite sure that other dealers around UK are top - notch.

Rant over, Try Hogans i find them BANG-ON everytime. Toyota -Ireland are as far as I am aware an Irish owned company & as such do not have to get involved with Toyota GB when problems arise.

I'm located here in the West so Ennis would be a bit of a trip down. I brought the car to my local dealer but he was trying to charge me 100 Euro just to find the problem, needless to say I turned down the offer.

Thanks anyway, Ill just keep on ticking away for a bit.

Thanks

Hi DEAR

Be sure all problems are mostly arised from injector tips injection performance.

When you accelerate the engine on 1st/2nd/3rd gears -- the pisonts are moved so fast that you can not hear these ticks, but when the engine runs on 4th/5th gear them the velocity of the pistons is less -- it means the temperature in the end of the compression stroke is less to ignite the diesel -- so you hear ticking right there due to each (or some) injectors simply pour diesel but not injected. I have had it as the same -- no worries -- just either change all 4 nozzles or have dismantle them and refresh their working surfaces by means of grinding paste No250 (diamanted) designed especially for these purposes. It is normal work of an injection parts motorman :D

COme back after with the result

Cheers/Igor

Thanks

Hello Again

it is just FYI -- nowadays the diesel quality is desired to be better (!) and gas oil contains more sulphur + another MCR. These influence of the performance os injection system parts all the time. You also must to conside that yr engine is T/charged and the T/C must also work properly to deliver designed scavenging air quantity into each cylinder under P=constant (!!!) as designed vy MrT. In case yr injectors have been found as in order then you'd check with T/C because initial scavange P must be designed to be compressed and ignit the diesel. In case you've problem with either nozzle or T/C ---- the result is ticking. No way back -- each unit belong to yr car heart must to work very properly.

cheers/Igor

If based in West, I have just spent the week up at Sligo Town NCT covering staff on leave. Toyota dealer to north of town, not so sure about Mayo could be dealer in one of the larger towns. With respect to other forum postings you need to get code reader plugged into car, cars are just to complicated these days & that is how manufacturers want & like it. Your better of spending €80 odd Euros for an Hr's diagnosis getting correct diagnosis. Guess work is way to expensive. No offence to other people on forum.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links