Do Not Sell My Personal Information

1.8 'lean Burn' Or 1.8 Vvti?

markquinton

Hi all

Soon I will be after an avensis, usually I would always try to buy the newest car possible but the oil consumption problem on the vvti engines scares me a little. Do all the 1.8 vvti's before 2003 suffer from the problem eventually? I'm on a tight budget and want an avensis due to the low running costs and good fuel consumption so I don't want to end up with a huge bill. I much prefer the interior on the vvti cars and they look better externally but if the oil consumption issue is a big problem then I'd rather get the older model.

Any advice?

Thanks

Mark

The VVTI 'oil burning' issue may have been resolved on a prospective purchase. Many had a short engine replacement under warranty. If that can be confirmed with the vendor then it could be a resonable purchase.

I had the same dilema a couple of years ago. I bought a 2000 1.8SE (lean burn). The car is now on 75K and has been absolutely faultless.

I would still make the same decision today.

Completely agree with gazza. I bought I learn burn rather than the vvti - because of the oil burning issue. My 1998 1.8 is on 69K and apart from a fauly thermostat has been no trouble. I'd go for the learn burn for peace of mind if nothing else.

Completely agree with gazza. I bought I learn burn rather than the vvti - because of the oil burning issue. My 1998 1.8 is on 69K and apart from a fauly thermostat has been no trouble. I'd go for the learn burn for peace of mind if nothing else.

The VVTi is a great engine WHEN its had the short engine conversion !

The lean-burns are smoother though. I'd always go pre-vvti even if they didn't burn oil.

I still believe the 3S-FE 2.0 was the finest 4 cylinder petrol engine Toyota ever produced, with the 4A-FE 1.6 and then 7A-FE 1.8 after that.

• 3 weeks later...

The lean-burns are smoother though. I'd always go pre-vvti even if they didn't burn oil.

I still believe the 3S-FE 2.0 was the finest 4 cylinder petrol engine Toyota ever produced, with the 4A-FE 1.6 and then 7A-FE 1.8 after that.

I have just replaced my lean burn. I did 180,000 miles in her over 6 years. Never missed a beat. New clutch and brake pipes, that was it. I now have a 2001 VVTi with 47,000 on the clock. I suppose I better read up on oil burning and 'short engines' cos I haven't got a clue what you are talking about.

I have just replaced my lean burn. I did 180,000 miles in her over 6 years. Never missed a beat. New clutch and brake pipes, that was it. I now have a 2001 VVTi with 47,000 on the clock. I suppose I better read up on oil burning and 'short engines' cos I haven't got a clue what you are talking about.

i had a vvti and it had the same oil burning problem(i just used cheap oil few pounds for 5 litres) .but other then that it was a sound car its one of the cheapest cars to run repair wise i done over 200.000miles and i sold it and its still runing as a mini cab .there proper work horses . i now have a new shape d4d it has to many faults to list .i should of kept the vvti .lol

i had a vvti and it had the same oil burning problem(i just used cheap oil few pounds for 5 litres) .but other then that it was a sound car its one of the cheapest cars to run repair wise i done over 200.000miles and i sold it and its still runing as a mini cab .there proper work horses . i now have a new shape d4d it has to many faults to list .i should of kept the vvti .lol

I really appreciate that Sharuka. I have had a pretty crap 18 hours since reading about the early VVTi's being oil burning hand greneades. Only had mine a month. Drives like new, even smells new. Over the moon with it til i came on here! lol I have checked the oil. We have done 800 miles in her and she hasn't used any, not a drop. I have checked the German TUV realiability charts and all the others you care to name. Still comes out with a minimum of 4 stars. Lowest position was for 54 cars and they were 15th out of 150. I can live with that. I suppose coming on here is a bit like going to the doctors, you don't meet many well people/cars, so you tend to think that they are all like that. I used to have a Rover 75 1.8 Turbo. Now there is a car with reliability issues!!! You may think it is gloom and doom on here you should try on their forum, or the 3/5 series BMW diesels (pre 53) that were exploding and having new engines fitted and hushed up by BMW.

• 1 year later...

Hi All,

I bought a 2002 1.8GS vvti estate with 75k in great shape yesterday as a cheap runner and have also been having a pretty crap 18 hours as I didn't know about the real extent of the problem until now! eeek. However, the short block on the car was changed at 56k miles at a toyota dealer - does that really solve the problem moving forward or does it just delay it happening again in the next 50k? In short, if the engine burns oil do I just need to keep topping it up to stop the chain cam and everything else pop? Any advice is welcome on this! Thanks!

Hi All,

I bought a 2002 1.8GS vvti estate with 75k in great shape yesterday as a cheap runner and have also been having a pretty crap 18 hours as I didn't know about the real extent of the problem until now! eeek. However, the short block on the car was changed at 56k miles at a toyota dealer - does that really solve the problem moving forward or does it just delay it happening again in the next 50k? In short, if the engine burns oil do I just need to keep topping it up to stop the chain cam and everything else pop? Any advice is welcome on this! Thanks!

As the oil burning problem was down to a design fault with the pistons, I can only conclude that the problem has been addressed and the piston design changed. The new short motors fitted under warranty should carry the new piston design and SHOULD have solved the problem. Mine was done under warranty about a year ago and is still fine.

P.S. you should always check your oil regularly even if it never uses any. One day something may go wrong and consume oil, it's too late when the oil pressure light comes on at motorway speeds because theres no oil left in the system.

Thanks Q.S - appreciate the comment!! Will keep a close eye on it and see how it goes!

Hi All,

As the oil burning problem was down to a design fault with the pistons, I can only conclude that the problem has been addressed and the piston design changed. The new short motors fitted under warranty should carry the new piston design and SHOULD have solved the problem. Mine was done under warranty about a year ago and is still fine.

P.S. you should always check your oil regularly even if it never uses any. One day something may go wrong and consume oil, it's too late when the oil pressure light comes on at motorway speeds because theres no oil left in the system.

Sorry if i'm being an idiot, but i'm planning on buying an old Avensis soon and want to make sure i've got this right. I've read through the above and slightly confused.

In summary, are we saying:

- it's best to go for 1.8 'lean burn' pre vvti if a certain part hasn't been changed.

- But it's best to go for a 1.8 vvti if the part has been changed

- Or it doesn't really matter?

Can anyone tell confirm how i check if the relevant upgrade has been made? I saw someone mention the short block being changed, so do i just look for that on the service history?

I've just had my short block replaced under warranty. This does affect some of the newer engines, mines a 2005 model and started burning oil (1.5 litres used in 1000 miles). I also got new headlight units under warranty as my old ones were steaming up.

As with all work you get a receipt, if this work has been done, check for the receipts. Not sure how happy he would be but you could ask Mr T as it will show on their system whether the work has been done.

Personally I preferred my old lean burn to the VVTi (both 1.8), mainly down to a lack of power in the VVTi, it may be down to my car or the fact I've gone for an estate this time, but I now have to change down to 4th to get up some hills on the motorway these days, never had that problem with the old lean burn saloon which always had enough power to accelerate uphill on the M'way.

I will be replacing my car that I've only had a few months sooner rather than later, thinking about going for a diesel next time though (even considering a Mondeo, as the newer Avensis is so poor), definitely won't consider a 1.8 VVTi thats for sure.

I've just had my short block replaced under warranty. This does affect some of the newer engines, mines a 2005 model and started burning oil (1.5 litres used in 1000 miles). I also got new headlight units under warranty as my old ones were steaming up.

As with all work you get a receipt, if this work has been done, check for the receipts. Not sure how happy he would be but you could ask Mr T as it will show on their system whether the work has been done.

Personally I preferred my old lean burn to the VVTi (both 1.8), mainly down to a lack of power in the VVTi, it may be down to my car or the fact I've gone for an estate this time, but I now have to change down to 4th to get up some hills on the motorway these days, never had that problem with the old lean burn saloon which always had enough power to accelerate uphill on the M'way.

I will be replacing my car that I've only had a few months sooner rather than later, thinking about going for a diesel next time though (even considering a Mondeo, as the newer Avensis is so poor), definitely won't consider a 1.8 VVTi thats for sure.

Maybe the lack of power is down to the later and probably heavier? body. Mine is on a '02' plate before the change of body shape and will quite happily plod away in top gear anywhere above 30mph on the flat. Seems to have similar performance to my previous Mondeo 1.8 but does better on fuel.