Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Steering Squeak When Turning Left + Mmt Question

silvio

Hi,

I've had my Aygo for almost two years now. Lately I have started hearing a sort of squeaky noise when turning left especially if I turn the wheel almost to lock on the left hand side. This noise is similar to a door hinge when it is dry from lubrication. I thought it must be some nylon bush that the steering column turns in but then if it was that why doesn't it do it when I turn the wheel to the right? I have to do quite a bit of manouvering to enter the garage amongst them a 3-point turn and I only hear the noise when turning left.

Does someone have any suggestions as to what it could be and whether it could be difficult to lubricate? I used to own a 1976 Mini and a 1992 Vauxhall Nova with a diesel engine and did most of the light servicing myself but with the Aygo having an airbag and all I don't know or rather I'm not about to start dismantling the steering wheel to have a look. BTW, is an Aygo service manual available like from Hayes etc?

A question about the Multi-mode transmission. When stopped in traffic is it wise to leave the car in gear or it's better to put it in Neutral? A friend also told me to lightly remove foot pressure from the accelerator pedal while changing gears when using the MMT in manual mode. Is this true?

Thanks

Regarding lifting off the accelerator slightly, you can do this when in E mode to change up a gear yourself rather than just putting ur foot down and letting the car change itself at higher revs.

Im also getting a noise when steering, however only when steering right, but dont get it when turning left xD weird

I always leave mine in E rather than bothering to switch to Neutral, dont think it makes much of a difference really

I have the same problem with my steering- a slight creaking sound when turning to the right but not to the left. He's due a service next month so I'll mention it to them and see what happens.

I had this same problem when turning my steering wheel almost full lock to the right. I mentioned it to the garage when it was in getting its clutch replaced last week (for the 2nd time! :censor: ) It's something to do with magnets and power steering in the steering wheel column (sorry I am not very technically minded and can't explain the actual problem very well!). The long and short is that it needs something replaced under warranty and I am waiting on them giving me a ring this week to let me know they have the parts in stock and my Aygo will be back in the garage again for more warranty work :(

Thanks for all the tips and sharing your problems. I had thought it was something due to heat as here we are in full summer and temperature is already around 33 celsius. Will talk to the garage manager and see what needs to be done. I expect it to be a warranty job. Here the warranty always expires after 3 years. Mine only has 9000 miles in two years!

Thanks again

For the record mine's approaching 15,000 miles and will be two years old next month.

Reassuring to know it's covered under warranty.

For the record mine's approaching 15,000 miles and will be two years old next month.

Reassuring to know it's covered under warranty.

What I meant was that Malta is only a small island, maybe as large as a fair sized town in the UK. I only do about 20 miles a day during the weekdays, as opposed to some of you guys who do at least that one-way to work! Malta's only about 120 square miles! Just to give you some idea of the size of the island. Anyway, thanks for all your responses.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links