Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Quiet Hum At Speed...

pmorrow555

Hi all

Noticing a sort of hum / throbbing noise from the car when at speed (say above 40mph), particularly noticeable on smooth/quiet roads. recently had a service at Toyota and they suggested the inlet manifold needed replacing (seen posts on here about that being a common problem, but unfortunately i'm outside of warranty period now), which i agree is giving my rolla a reasonably loud growl under acceleration at low speeds but i'm not sure if its the case at higher speed. they say it'll be £350 + vat to fix but doesn't affect performance in any way so i'm gonna put it off for a while!

does anyone think the noise at speed could be anything else? :unsure:

my ideas:

- wheel bearing (not sure if front or back)

- wheels needing balanced (don't think so cos had them done a couple of years ago)

- had two new front tyres recently (Michelin Energy), maybe they're involved??

- some sort of brake issue? maybe rubbing?

also, can the inlet manifold be changed by a local garage rather than Toyota or is that not possible/recommended?

thanks everybody

my ideas:

- wheels needing balanced (don't think so cos had them done a couple of years ago)

also, can the inlet manifold be changed by a local garage rather than Toyota or is that not possible/recommended?

thanks everybody

Here are my thoughts on your thoughts:

Rear wheel bearings, when knackered, will whine on cornering, whilst the fronts will make a wowowow sound.

If your wheels are unbalanced you definitely feel it from the back, and if it's the fronts, the steering wheel will wobble. However, you say you had two new tyres recently so presumably they were balanced as the standard fitting procedure, and a decent workshop will tell you come back if there are any balancing issues.

I wouldn't bother with the manifold change if it's not affecting performance.

Hope it's useful!

Cheers.

Hi all

Noticing a sort of hum / throbbing noise from the car when at speed (say above 40mph), particularly noticeable on smooth/quiet roads. recently had a service at Toyota and they suggested the inlet manifold needed replacing (seen posts on here about that being a common problem, but unfortunately i'm outside of warranty period now), which i agree is giving my rolla a reasonably loud growl under acceleration at low speeds but i'm not sure if its the case at higher speed. they say it'll be £350 + vat to fix but doesn't affect performance in any way so i'm gonna put it off for a while!

my ideas:

thanks everybody

Hi got similar problem on my recently purchased 1.6 sr 2006 model. noise comes in at 3500-4000 revs. It's going back Monday to be checked over. Does my head in at cruising speed 75mph even the radio cannot drown the noise. Will get back to you.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links