Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Cheap Under Seat Sub £33.49 - Halfords

Microfrost

I have been searching for an underseat sub for my new audio setup and have found a good price for the Halfords Ripspeed PSR-135A which seems to be the same as the mutant m5-5as.

If you go on the ripspeed website your can pick one up for £33.49 and even collect in store. click here .

I was looking at the alpine and pioneer subs but for this price I think I'll pick one up tomorrow.

DON'T. Remember, quality doesn't come in a box from Halfords!

On a serious note spend a little extra if you can and get a branded item, you won't regret it. On the flipside you WILL be dissapointed with the ripspeed.

Yeah good point, I was hoping as its a rebranded mutant that it be a good buy. I got to head down for an aerial adaptor later and I'll have a closure look.

Cheers

Go and have a listen in Halfords. My advise after that would be to goto an independant place as you may be able to barter them down on price. And if they are nice they might give you the ariel adaptor if you show interest in buying something, something Halfords can't/wont do.

I popped in to Halfords earlier and bit the bullet and went for it. I thought the worse I could lose is 30 quid. Wired it up temporary in the passenger foot well for testing (big_boz previous wiring instructions were spot on).

Instintively I put the volumn up to max and thought %$£*, the sound was blunt and puffy if that makes sense. After having it setup for two hours of driving and playing with levels and voloumn I found if you set in to about half it compliments me setup really well to give an even range across high low and mid. big_boz said to me privately that his mutant sub and infinity refs sound like a couple of 6x9s.

My setup so far in a Sony GT50UI headunit, Ininity ref4022i in the rear and Pioneer 1076 up front.

So far I would say to if you want to help even your sound accross the full range then this could be the answer. I would defently advise it to anyone wanted to improve there stock sound on a small budget.

Nice one.

I find having my Pioneer underseat sub on 1/2 power works best also. I have 1076s up front also.

Nice price - why not fit one under the other front seat now !?

Nice one.

I find having my Pioneer underseat sub on 1/2 power works best also. I have 1076s up front also.

Nice price - why not fit one under the other front seat now !?

You read my mind. My thinking with the sub is that the mutant is rrp about £100 which online you can get for arround £50/60 (ebay). The ripspeed is a rebadge which in store is £50 but online £33 and even better you can pick it up instore is you reserve. Odd how only on the ripspeed website and not the Halfords as there both run my Halfords.

Was just listening to Pendulum which sounded pretty good. I also found that filtering the low freq from the regular Speakers improves the sound a little bit.

But yeah I am tempted to head down and pick another one up tomorrow so I can do a propper fitting at the same time.

I replaced my headunit with a Pioneer that plays MP3 via USB, so can filter out frequencies via that, as well as the remote control on the Sub itself.

Worth having a tweak of the settings.

If it's something punchy, I can sit at traffic lights watching the rear view mirror bounce....

I replaced my headunit with a Pioneer that plays MP3 via USB, so can filter out frequencies via that, as well as the remote control on the Sub itself.

Worth having a tweak of the settings.

If it's something punchy, I can sit at traffic lights watching the rear view mirror bounce....

Had a play earlier and yeah mine makes in bounce to. Got high pass filter on the headunit for the Speakers and the low pass is on the sub, or is it the other way round. Are you going to get one for the other seat?

a good headunit setup is critical to good sound, which is the thing most people miss

a good headunit setup is critical to good sound, which is the thing most people miss

Defently, I've been really impressed with mine other then slightly poor mp3 navigation. through changing my audio setup the biggest improvement was noticed with the new head unit over when I added Speakers and the sub.

If your prepared to do the reasearch there are some really good underseat units.

However do not get the Pioneer underseat sub as pictured here: DSCF0013.jpg

Through trial and error we found no way to make this sound good in my mates Smart (Picture taken from a google image search).

• 3 weeks later...

My missus bought me one of these for Christmas and it is pretty good for the money. It sounds great considering the limitations of the standard Aygo headunit. You have to wire it in to the speaker cable because the standard headunit doesn't have amp/sub outputs.

Ripspeed = no go area.

Even if u have a listen in Halfords beware that behind the scenes they queek the sound you hear to make it sound bettter.

If this is just a rebadge of the Mutant that I have, then honestly it sounds great for the money, and as good as the pionner underseat sub that a friend has in his 'ahem MGF however the crappy build quality probably dosent help his cause.

I'm not sure how much help it is but by Head unit has adjustble low and high pass filters and a dedicated RCA sub out so i do have a fair bit more adjustability than standard, but it I would compare my 4 infinity ref's and the mutant to as good as the setup i had in my old car which was running 2 16cm, and 2 6*9 JBL GTO's and the same head unit.

Go on give it a try, whats 30 nicker between friends to try it!

Taken your advice! I have reserved one to pick up tomorrow and install it into my rolla

Cheers for the heads up on this one :thumbsup:

Taken your advice! I have reserved one to pick up tomorrow and install it into my rolla

Cheers for the heads up on this one :thumbsup:

Good Luck chap, easy peasy to fit.

When I got my one I went back and got another for the other seat. Just can't be beaten for the price and a fair bit more. I think unless you want to give up boot space then this is the best value sub you can get. But saying all that I haven't seen another underseat sub for comparison.