Do Not Sell My Personal Information

New Aygo Slate Blue

Red Yaris 54

My son picked up his new Aygo this morning and when checking the documentation we have discovered that it was built in Japan.

VIN (Chassis) Number starts JTDJG

I wonder what reason Toyota has for building them in Japan when they have a European factory?

Could any other New Slate Blue owners check and report if you have a Jap built Aygo.

Not wishing to start a Jap V European battle but some folk on these forums have always rated the Jap built cars highly.

I don't believe they're built in Japan, my VIN is the same

Hi

Havent picked mine up yet but checked the paperwork and mine starts JTDJG too. Not meaning to sound stupid but are these cars the same, better or worse than the european ones.

Counting the days down until I get mine.

Regards Madeleine

Maybe they are setting up the European factory for production of the IQ, which is due early next year, or the plant can't keep up with demand for the Aygo (and C1 and 107) so some are being made in Japan.

Possibly on a line once used to make Landcruisers, or similar thristy vehicles!

For "thristy" please read "thirsty".

Sorry, numptie alert.

Spoke to the friendly Toyota dealer who confirmed that the first "batch" of new Aygo Slate Blues is built in Japan

It is all explained here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vehicle_identification_number

Just saw this thread and having a two week old Aygo platnium thought I'll check to. Mine was also made in Japan with a vin of JTDJG :o.

I do wonder if theres a difference. One interesting thing is I bought some infinity Speakers of big_boz and dispite triming the dash I couldn't fit them into the front although he only had to trim the cover grill. I had a bolt in the way thus fitted some pioneers there.

Not sure about all this. My 2006 Aygo starts JTDJG and the label is also stamped Toyota Europe.

I haven't heard of any Aygos being manufactured in Japan.

Nobody relies on Wikipedia! :lol:

Paul.

Pauls right, Wikipedia is hardly a reliable source... neither is a Toyota dealer... you should know that by now Steve! :lol:

Pauls right, Wikipedia is hardly a reliable source... neither is a Toyota dealer... you should know that by now Steve! :lol:

Not just relying on Wikipedia......................extensive searching of the net reveals that JTDJG VIN suffixes are definately

built in Japan by Toyota :)

The Toyota dealer is a very knowledgeable guy when it comes to VIN numbers :lol:

Mine starts JTDKG

Same here and mine's a sept. 2006 car (probably built the beginning

of may that year according to several date stamps on various parts).

Anyway, according to that wiki, we should be looking at the 11th character of the VIN,

as that is supposed to be the Plant-code... On mine, the 11th character is an "N".

The first 3 characters represent the "World Manufacturer Identifier",

with the first character being a regional indicator for the manufacturer.

As Toyota is a Japanese company, the first letter is a J on ALL Toyota's?

I'm not quite sure on this though, as the VIN for ALL DeLoreans starts with SCEDT

and SC stands for Great Britain, while the DeLorean Motor Company was supposed

to be American and the cars were actually built in Northern Ireland...

I'm wondering now that I've done some more research: what engine or number of doors

do you guys have? According to some sites 4th character on Toyota's denotes the engine

used, while others claim that for 5th and 4th being the body type...

My Yaris.............(Built in France by Toyota) does not have a JTD series VIN..............so sorry Jan your theory that the first letter on all Toyota's is a "J" is not so.

Looks like the initial J is the country of origin, not the country of manufacture.

The 11th character (N for my Aygo) is the assembly plant. It should be 0-9 for Japanese factories. I guess N is the code for the TPCA factory in the Czech Republic.

Paul.

sorry Jan your theory that the first letter on all Toyota's is a "J" is not so.

Was just trying to figure out the VIN accoring to the Wiki...

If the fist letter is the Continent in which the car was built, I'm still wondering

why I was told mine came from the factory in Kolan in the Czech Republic...

Think I'm going to ask some 107 and C1 owners what teir VINs start with...

Do any search on line and you will see that the country of assembly is is represented by the first letter of the VIN. If you look at other Toyota’s in a dealership open the passenger door and you will see the VIN number. Yaris’s built in Europe have a different VIN (not starting with JTD)

As an example Italy's letter is "Z," therefore; all Ferrari VINs will begin with the letter "Z" as they are built in Italy :thumbsup:

An Aygo built in Japan is worth hanging on to, it will be interesting to see if Red Yaris 54 has the same issues with his son’s car that others have raised on here. Check that boot and foot wells after it rains or is washed.

Just saw this thread and having a two week old Aygo platnium thought I'll check to. Mine was also made in Japan with a vin of JTDJG :o.

I do wonder if theres a difference. One interesting thing is I bought some infinity speakers of big_boz and dispite triming the dash I couldn't fit them into the front although he only had to trim the cover grill. I had a bolt in the way thus fitted some pioneers there.

Ah Ha, interesting.

My son picked up his new Aygo this morning and when checking the documentation we have discovered that it was built in Japan.

I wonder what reason Toyota has for building them in Japan when they have a European factory?

Could any other New Slate Blue owners check and report if you have a Jap built Aygo.

Not wishing to start a Jap V European battle but some folk on these forums have always rated the Jap built cars highly.

My plantinum 5 door - registered 31 May 2008 also has vin starting with JTDK...

Geoff

My Yaris (T-Sport) has a JTD VIN and a sticker in the windscreen clearly stating: Made In Japan :thumbsup:

Then what's the plant-code??? 11th character of the VIN...

EVERY Aygo on our database begins JTD, but they are all built in Czech Republic as far as I know

Kingo :thumbsup:

but they are all built in Czech Republic as far as I know

So you are not sure? Have you compared the Yaris 1.8SR and 1.3SR as one is Jap built and the other isn't.