Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Emergency Help Needed !

Jimlad

BUDGET......more like rip off, :angry: its places like this and SLOWFIT that relly on people who arnt that clued up about motors. That way they can pull the wool over your eyes. thats where they make there money. :cacker:

everythin that they have diagnosed with your poor motor(bar the seized caliper) sound suspect.

i would strongly urge people not to use these places, half the time it would be cheaper actually usin a main dealer.

they are blatantly trying to feed u a big greasy steamy pile of sh*t, u know when one things wrong with your car but wait a minute all of these other things need fixin aswel, A BIG ALRIGHTY THEN!

for 500 notes u could get uprated discs, pads, braided brake lines, dot 5 brake fluid and labour.

but its your own situation and money, if only u knew earlIer mate :huh:

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jimlad

• nws25

• MyV6Flys

• GIDDLEPIN

Top Posters In This Topic

I know mate... I would much rather spend the money on other stuff.

It's a case of I need it fixed now... this place was the closest and one of the only places I could find open. Didn't want to drive far with the way it was.

If I take everything to CRD and they then turn round and say there's nothing wrong and the discs etc look fine ... then I'll be beating some Budget workers heads together... HARD.

Damn sorry 2 hear about this m8. i know what it's like when summin happens 2 ur motor when u think its runnin sweet :(

Let u know what the place that did ur service says.

Also about takin the car 2 work...

As much as we h8 not driving our cars and want em fixed asap, i'd suggest leave it til u can get crd to take a look, and 5th jan for fensport to open. in the meantime go and sort out ur bus routes to work, suck i know but its the best course of action to take imho!

-Z

I desperatly needed the car fixed becuase I'm going somewhere straight from work tmorrow and need the car.... it's getting fixed now.

But if it's down to CRD for any reason.. I'll be kicking buttocks !

I was just speaking to Budget ( picking the car up in 45 mins ), they said that this would not be something that CRD would pick up on.

They said they would most prob slap it on a rolling road, check to see if the brakes are working etc. Also check the pads. If they look alright, then that would be it.

They also said with the likes of the Hbrake cable, they wouldn't check it becuase it's all shielded underneath the car. The guy said I could try and see what they say, but he doubted that I would get anywhere.

As for all the duff parts, he said he has them all put aside for me so I can take a look at them.

Jimlad you should get the servicing done thru MrT (a decent one that is). I said quite a while ago on this forum that CRD are suspect. As far as im concerned CRD is just another kwikfit/budget outfit with a F&F image. And incompetence is the middle name of these places. And its the customer like you who suffers while they count the $$$ :arrgg-matey:

£489.95 later..... car is sorted.

1 New rear Caliper

1 New rear brake pad

2 New Rear Discs

2 New Hand Brake Cables

The guy said it was basically all down to the handbrake cables. He let me have a play with and they were very sticky/jerky. He said he's totally lubed up the new ones etc so there should be no freezing problems with it or problems like this one.

This resulted in !Removed! the discs... they had "blued" because they had got alot hotter than allowed to. Also the heat he said may have been what also caused the caliper to frigg up.

Pap !!!

As for CRD... yeah.. don't like them very much.... a bit of plastic covering underneath the car where the exaust sorta all conects had been totally bodged by CRD when fitted back on. Will have to get a new bit and get it fitted... but Budget said they would do it for me for nowt.

They said they have also heard alot of bad stories about CRD. I would go with MrT, but they are so ******ty and don't offer courtesy cars for imports ! Bas*ards ! I think I will go with CRD for any major performance type of things, but for normal pap.. I'll just use normal garages etc.

actually... I can't slag off CRD that much... they fitted my seals for about £300 cheaper than Toyota were going to charge me !

Glad you got it sorted, although I dont entirely agree with a few things that have been said, but the most important thing is that the cars back on the road.

it was only off the road for the day and I hated it !!! Glad to see it when I went to pick the bugger up. What's it gonna be like when it's in the bodyshop for 1 1/2 weeks... agh !

Hi jimlad.

Before I got the X-reg celica I did a check on common faults, one of them was a tendancy for the callipers to sieze up and even though it was only 18 months old when I got it, it already had one new rear caliper, I would assume the MR2's have the same running gear.

As for the brake fluid boiling off, this is definitely true, the heat transfer from a binding brake can not only "blue" and distort a disc it can also boil the grease in a wheel bearing causing a siezure on to the stub (hope I'm not worrying you)

Hope the new year has a better start for you.

Les :thumbsup:

Hi jimlad.

Before I got the X-reg celica I did a check on common faults, one of them was a tendancy for the callipers to sieze up and even though it was only 18 months old when I got it, it already had one new rear caliper, I would assume the MR2's have the same running gear.

As for the brake fluid boiling off, this is definitely true, the heat transfer from a binding brake can not only "blue" and distort a disc it can also boil the grease in a wheel bearing causing a siezure on to the stub (hope I'm not worrying you)

Hope the new year has a better start for you.

Les :thumbsup:

hey Giddlepin... thanks for the info mate. Re-assuring that all that happened was possible.

As for calipers, supposedly it's a Toyota issue, not just a MR2, or other car. Supposedly Toyota calipers are known for siezing.

Makes me wanna change all of mine to something else !

I've had the car 6months and replaced two calipers.

Makes me wanna change all of mine to something else !

How about wooden wedges attached to a chain then dropped in front of the wheel! :D

I understand toyota are bringing out a carbon fibre upgrade!! :P :D :D

tha was quick m8!

still 500 smackers...

well dpoesnt make a difference 2 u really does it, u got £'s coming outa ur a$$, haha :P

-Z

£489.95 later..... car is sorted.

1 New rear Caliper

1 New rear brake pad

2 New Rear Discs

2 New Hand Brake Cables

The guy said it was basically all down to the handbrake cables. He let me have a play with and they were very sticky/jerky. He said he's totally lubed up the new ones etc so there should be no freezing problems with it or problems like this one.

This resulted in !Removed! the discs... they had "blued" because they had got alot hotter than allowed to. Also the heat he said may have been what also caused the caliper to frigg up.

Pap !!!

As for CRD... yeah.. don't like them very much.... a bit of plastic covering underneath the car where the exaust sorta all conects had been totally bodged by CRD when fitted back on. Will have to get a new bit and get it fitted... but Budget said they would do it for me for nowt.

They said they have also heard alot of bad stories about CRD. I would go with MrT, but they are so ******ty and don't offer courtesy cars for imports ! Bas*ards ! I think I will go with CRD for any major performance type of things, but for normal pap.. I'll just use normal garages etc.

I don't agree with a lot the garage "clamed "was wrong either...too many silly things in their story....like frost damage to the handbrake cable.... boiling brake fluid, but what concerns me the most ...they only changed the one brake pad on the rear???? well that's asking for trouble...they should always be changed in pairs. an absolute MUST on the front....and common sense on the back....but this raises the question...if they only changed the one pad....then why change the discs because they had over heated, and degraded the metal...ermmm the pads will long burn out before the discs will....so I'd say there was sod all wrong with the discs as well.

Vipes

I see your point mate...

I did have a look at the discs at they were "blued"... as to why only one pad on the rear was replaced... good point.

Maybe only one was totally frigged and the other was alright (ish).

Anyway... it's all done and dusted now, so I'm not too fussed.

My brakes are a bit squidgy at the moment.. but they said it would be like that for a few days. If it's still like that next week, I'll take it back.

All pads were changed a few months back.. so possibly one on the rear was alright... erm.. I dunno. I'll ask actually the next time I'm there.

also....

I've decided I'll still be getting uprated discs/pads etc after I get the bodykit on.

Would like to replace all calipers also... but performance calipers are expensive !

Zeroblade..... lol... I don't have £££ coming out of my *****. :D

Re viper 7 comments.

He is right about having pads fitted in pairs (try buying one side only--not possible)

The friction material on pads or shoes would not burn out before a disc (unless it was near its wear limit), all it does is get harder, causing brake fade and the disc will get hotter all the time.

You say the pedal feels a bit soft, I recon that there's still a bit of air in the system and you'll probably find it won't improve, but keep a regular eye on your fluid level anyway

yeah... the peddle feels very squidgy... but he said it may do for a few days.

If it's still like this on Monday, then I'll be taking it back along.

Unless.....

the discs had somehow blued in the past ( not related to this incident ).

Then one rear caliper seized !Removed! up the pad on that side.

Hence... rear caliper, pad and hbrake cable replaced. Discs also replaced becuase they had blued ( but possibly unrelated, expecially because only one pad was needed to be replaced ).

I did look at the dics myself and they had blued.

The above is the only explanation I can think of that makes any sense.

ah..

I did copy it from the invoice. Probably one set

Update ***

just checked out my old invoice for when I had all my pads replaced.. yip it is for a set as apposed to 1 pad.

That helps explain things a little then.

Dunno if I said this b4... but the heat from it all also helped to screw the caliper, or so the garage said.

Oh well.... probably nothing suspicious about all this at all then.

Just plain old bad luck !!!!

Dunno if this has been resolved .. and I can't be bothered to read all the posts ..

It'll be the cables freezing .. and cause of the outlay of the car the engine will not de-frost them easily ..

You need to get them lubed, and then they will be fine ..

But until then I'd suggest parking with the handbrake off ..

Bibbs... you should read the rest you lazy toad.. lol

All has been fixed at great expense.

Old Hbrake cable was very sticky/basically non-moving.

As you can't be bothered to rear the rest.. I can't be bothered to repeat myself.. lol :D

new cables fully lubed up and will not freeze up... I have been assured. It wasn't caused by freezing cable tho.. simply due to dodgy cable... non-moving/very sticky, jerky cable.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links