Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Yaris With A Drink Problem.

striderwilson

Ok,

First let me step back in time about 5 years to when I ran a 1999 Jeep Cherokee 4.0ltr Auto. As you might expect it drank fuel, but with a little practice I managed to fix my driving style so well that I once average 27mpg over 1300 miles of mixed driving. Got to be some kind of record for a petrol Jeep that should get 18mpg.

So when I got my 2002 Yaris Verso 1.3 GS vvti, I expected to be able to get more than the 40mpg advised. However, even with my super light feet, and on open roads, I can only manage 36mpg, but its normally averaging 33mpg as my wife only gets 30!

I have tried everything, most of my journey's are on a dual carrigeway at 60mph, I rarely touch the brake - insted just lift off really early and anoy everyone behind me. I never accelerate hard, the tyres are all good, the car has a FSH and Toyota checked it over and found nothing wrong.

The only thing I have noticed is that there is a slightly rich smell from the exhaust when at idle.

How can I get 50% better than advisd mpg from a Jeep, but with the same driving style, on the same routes, get less than advised from a 1.3 'Pat Van'? Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

James

Sounds like it needs a service at Toyota. A clue is in the exhaust smell you mention, once hooked up to a diagnostic machine I’m sure Mr T will be able to find any problems :thumbsup:

Blimey, thats a real low reading.

Even my t sport with 125 bhp is getting 35 to the gallon.

Maybe the aerodynamics arent helping you!

Ok,

First let me step back in time about 5 years to when I ran a 1999 Jeep Cherokee 4.0ltr Auto. As you might expect it drank fuel, but with a little practice I managed to fix my driving style so well that I once average 27mpg over 1300 miles of mixed driving. Got to be some kind of record for a petrol Jeep that should get 18mpg.

So when I got my 2002 Yaris Verso 1.3 GS vvti, I expected to be able to get more than the 40mpg advised. However, even with my super light feet, and on open roads, I can only manage 36mpg, but its normally averaging 33mpg as my wife only gets 30!

I have tried everything, most of my journey's are on a dual carrigeway at 60mph, I rarely touch the brake - insted just lift off really early and anoy everyone behind me. I never accelerate hard, the tyres are all good, the car has a FSH and Toyota checked it over and found nothing wrong.

The only thing I have noticed is that there is a slightly rich smell from the exhaust when at idle.

How can I get 50% better than advisd mpg from a Jeep, but with the same driving style, on the same routes, get less than advised from a 1.3 'Pat Van'? Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

James

A drink problem you say? Perhaps you ought to join the AA!

:rolleyes:

No seriously though, sounds a bit low but I would have thought it would return less than a standard 1.3 Yaris as it has a lrger frontal mass and more weight!

Bare in mind, the Jeep would have been working a lot less hard than the Yaris at the same motorway speed, due to larger engine. I read a report on new Jeep models that show them to be quite frugal, better then many models like Cleo's and Focus's etc. I get quite low mpg around London in my 1.3 (auto) (upper 30's) but it improves greatly if I go out on the motorway's, nearer 50.

my corolla gti ain't far of that :o

things to check,

tyre pressures,

tracking,

air con switched on?

air filter letting enough air in?

try cleaning the MAF sensor, if its really dirty it could cause the engine to run leaner..?

try cleaning the MAF sensor, if its really dirty it could cause the engine to run leaner..?

Surely you mean richer? :) .........................use more fuel

Thanks for all your responses folks,

I have checked the tyre pressures, and Toyota checked the car over at the last service (they couldn't have spent much time on it though as they didn't charge any extra!). I haven't tried cleaning the MAF though so i'll give that a go next.

Incidently, I checked the mpg on my Volvo S70 (1999 2.4ltr) over the last tank of petrol - 33mpg, exactly the same as my Yaris.

Thanks for all your responses folks,

I have checked the tyre pressures, and Toyota checked the car over at the last service (they couldn't have spent much time on it though as they didn't charge any extra!). I haven't tried cleaning the MAF though so i'll give that a go next.

Incidently, I checked the mpg on my Volvo S70 (1999 2.4ltr) over the last tank of petrol - 33mpg, exactly the same as my Yaris.

Just recently got an old shape 1.0L Yaris as a driving school vehicle. At the mo, seems to be returning near 50mpg. Will see if it stays the same over time!