Do Not Sell My Personal Information

New Car Advantages Over 2nd Hand

Bob Mothershaw

Good Morning/Afternoon or Evening!!!!

I'm thinking about buying a brand new car, but I need to know the advantages etc to try and persuade the misses.

My commute takes me through the Peak District and is a 62 mile round trip 5 or 6 days a week and is costing me a fortune. My current car is a 1995 Corrado VR6 Storm which has a 2.9l engine and I can get around 40mpg (according to the computer) if I drive really carefully and coast it down the hills! At the moment it costs about 60 quid a week in petrol.

If I drive like this what could I expect to get out of a 1.0 petrol Aygo? What are the benefits to buying brand new rather than second hand? Due you need to MOT a new car or is it exempt after the first 3 years? What about servicing and how much would this cost, although I am mechanically minded.

Does the Aygo come with trip computer? I think I've answered this one looks like a no, shame.

A lot questions but I've never bought brand new.

Many Thanks

Bob Mothershaw

No MOT needed on a new year for the first 3 years. Servicing on the Aygo is pretty simple, 1st year/10k miles is just really a check of everything: brakes/fluid levels/oil etc. 2nd yr/20k mile service is similar but with an oil and oil filter change and possibly brakes depending on the mileage and how you drive.

I personally would never buy a brand new car myself as I believe going for one that is 2/3 years old is going to be just as good and you should be able to save quite a bit.

No MOT needed on a new year for the first 3 years. Servicing on the Aygo is pretty simple, 1st year/10k miles is just really a check of everything: brakes/fluid levels/oil etc. 2nd yr/20k mile service is similar but with an oil and oil filter change and possibly brakes depending on the mileage and how you drive.

I personally would never buy a brand new car myself as I believe going for one that is 2/3 years old is going to be just as good and you should be able to save quite a bit.

Pfft, I love my BRAND NEW SHINY aygo B)

I don't know what type of roads your journey takes but you should easily get 50mpg+ on a bad day, I drive a daily route that is 10 mile town/minor driving, 90 mile motorway with 2 long inclines and get 57mpg, I expect this to improve as the engine breaks in and I understand more the drive style to get better mpg. (don't coast, you're probable using more fuel than being in the right gear)

You don't need an MOT for the 1st 3 years on a new car and for servicing based on what people on here are paying for their 3yr service plans (2 minor / 1 full) they're paying between £10 - £12.50 per month, on your mileage you're probable have 5 services in the 3yrs, (3 minor, 2 full)

The Aygo has a resetable trip computer

No sure what benefits to give on buying new, I bought new (never thought I would in my life time) as the second prices were so close to new prices

I would buy a new one, we have exactly errrrr..............NIL used Aygo's in stock, they are as rare as hens teeth

Kingo :thumbsup:

I thought I'd never buy a new car but after looking around the only used Aygos I found were either the basic models or only about £1000 cheaper than a new one ( that was a 1 year old Blue with 18,000 on the clock ), you'll find a lot more used 107s and C1s.

I thought I'd never buy a new car but these seem to hold their own price wise in the 2nd hand market. I'm going to see how much I can save and in the meantime read up and learn all about this little car.

Don't think I get much for the VR6 at the moment.

Thanks

Bob Mothershaw

Another question....

How long can you expect to wait for one if you buy a new'un?

Thanks

Bob Mothershaw

It'll vary, for my blue slate it was 4 weeks (very quick), nearly fell of my seat when I was told that as others on here were told 10-12 weeks for their blue (I assume this was the old model blue)

You'll only really know when you're ready to order and ask the dealer to look on the computer for the current estimated delivery date.

As Parts-King has said he has no 2nd hard Aygo, my local had 7 on the books 3 weeks ago and is now down to one 2nd hand - market is changing all the time

It really depends on the which model you want and supply/demand, it looks like mine will be about 3 weeks from deposit to collection but the dealer said that other models were taking up to 16 weeks.

The AYGO is my first "brand new" car at the age of 45.

I always looked at depreciation of new cars and said I'd NEVER, EVER buy new but

after lots of reading up on the AYGO and deciding on the spec. I wanted,

I found I couldn't get what I wanted in the used market.

No regrets at all. The money saved on my tax, insurance and petrol far

outweighs new car depreciation compared to cars I have run in the past.

Buy one......Honestly, ......It does make sense.

Ian.

I usually buy new because I add so many miles per year for work and I do loose a lot in depreciation....

But buying an Aygo, as I have said elsewhere...

My insurance has halved,

My Road Tax is less than a quarter,

Servicing costs less than a third - I took out the 3 year service plan

Can drive round London at no charge and hopefully the same in Manchester when their C charge comes in

My MMT drives like a sports car and it should do close to 60 miles to the gallon

Good Morning/Afternoon or Evening!!!!

I'm thinking about buying a brand new car, but I need to know the advantages etc to try and persuade the misses.

My commute takes me through the Peak District and is a 62 mile round trip 5 or 6 days a week and is costing me a fortune. My current car is a 1995 Corrado VR6 Storm which has a 2.9l engine and I can get around 40mpg (according to the computer) if I drive really carefully and coast it down the hills! At the moment it costs about 60 quid a week in petrol.

If I drive like this what could I expect to get out of a 1.0 petrol Aygo? What are the benefits to buying brand new rather than second hand? Due you need to MOT a new car or is it exempt after the first 3 years? What about servicing and how much would this cost, although I am mechanically minded.

Does the Aygo come with trip computer? I think I've answered this one looks like a no, shame.

A lot questions but I've never bought brand new.

Many Thanks

Bob Mothershaw

Hi Bob

First of all, let me say you've got one hell of a cool car, mate! One of my all time fave's. (in fact, if you do decide to sell the Storm, please send me a private message via this board....I may be interested depending on condition/price/mileage ;) )

But back to the Aygo. They're such a great car for the kind of mileage you're doing. I do a 50 odd mile round trip 5 days a week, and my Aygo is saving me a small fortune in petrol. It only gets better when you look at the insurance(around £120 fully comp), tax(£35) and servicing costs(tiny-around £100 a service. Also there are pre-pay service plans available).

Personally, I think buying a new Aygo makes more sense than a 2nd hand one for a couple of reasons. Buying new, you know where it's been and while that may not be such a concern for a bigger engined car, I wouldn't like to take on an Aygo that has 10,000 miles on the clock and had been ragged around from day one. They are more fragile, and things like the clutch(for example) would take a real beating by some club footed old dear or some new 17 year old driver.

Also, the difference between new and 2nd hand Aygos really isn't that much. 2nd hand ones seem to hold their value really well, making the new ones even better value for money. Don't believe what people tell you about there being little or no discounts on new Aygos. Good discounts are there to be had!! Trust me. Haggle hard and you will reap the rewards!

The Aygo doesn't have a "computer", just a trip counter reset, but mpg is easy enough to work out. On a journey like yours, I would say you'll be looking at returning around 60+mpg if you drive sensibly.

You dont need an MOT on a new car until it is three years old.

Hope that helps

Lofty

PS dont forget me when you sell the Storm! ;)

Hi all. I picked up my aygo platinum 5dr no a/c this week after waiting just 4.5 weeks. great little car but they tried to sell me the service pack that worked out at £603 for the 3 services so i told them no way. Already got rev counter and put it on, 15 mins and bought some genuine fogs that need fitting when i have time. Dom

Good points, but if you buy new you know the history of the car. You can sometimes never tell if a used car has been thrashed or crashed.

Paul.

New car gets you

1 year breakdown cover (not that you should need it)

3 years warranty

Brand new car from insurance company if it is a write off in year 1 (usually)

You choice of spec/colour

If you can get it on 0% or good finance deal it also saves on loan costs

Used car gets you

More negotiating power. Dealers don't like vehicles sitting around

Gremlins ironed out (unless that is why someone got rid of it)

Dont forget new car smell!!!

The main reason I got mine brand new was the second hand market wasn't much cheaper then brand new. Once haggled £1000 of mine I could of sold it for more when I got home looking at my local auto trader.

The benifit of only budgeting one cost was high up as well. Warrentee should cover anything that would go wrong and breakdown cover is a bonus. No MOTs etc means you know your cost and don't have to budget for breakdowns or maintainace beyond your services.

I would buy a new one, we have exactly errrrr..............NIL used Aygo's in stock, they are as rare as hens teeth

Kingo :thumbsup:

I will verify that.

I had my first service carried out on Saturday and there wasn't a second hand Aygo to be seen!