Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Problem With Turbo

aygo vvti

Hi guys as title say the turbo (which was a 2nd hand unit )decided th sheer some blades from the exhaust side and apperently they got sucked back through the exhaust into the head and started some rattling noise inside the engine so i decided to open the engine to see what damage there was ,but the only thing was some marks in the top of the 1st and 3 piston. So as i took the engine appart as i was already planning of getting some pistons custom made for the turbo and went to check the price of them i found out that the garage that was going to order the pistons for me can fit a Glanza V engine instead of getting parts for the aygo one. Now thats 133bhp standard which with some boost and fuelling would easily be 150bhp!(immagine that on an aygo ?) Some points i wanted to say for those that plan modding their aygo are :

The head gasket can take quite some boost as it is a metal one with a thin layer of rubber coating.

The pistons are good quality as 18 months of turbo and abbuse they were still unchanged (except from the debris of the turbo blades)

The con rods are thesame thickness of the yaris 1.3ltr as the shop happened to have a set to compare to.

The timing chain cover is a nightmare to remove in the car!

The clutch might cope with a bit of power up but the pressure plate had heat spots all over the contact face so didnt take it as good! (uprate to the yaris one its slightly bigger) .

This week i will deliver the car to the garage so they can start the convertion which is suppose to last from 1 to 2 weeks and cost a 1000 pounds including the engine.

Hi guys as title say the turbo (which was a 2nd hand unit )decided th sheer some blades from the exhaust side and apperently they got sucked back through the exhaust into the head and started some rattling noise inside the engine so i decided to open the engine to see what damage there was ,but the only thing was some marks in the top of the 1st and 3 piston. So as i took the engine appart as i was already planning of getting some pistons custom made for the turbo and went to check the price of them i found out that the garage that was going to order the pistons for me can fit a Glanza V engine instead of getting parts for the aygo one. Now thats 133bhp standard which with some boost and fuelling would easily be 150bhp!(immagine that on an aygo ?) Some points i wanted to say for those that plan modding their aygo are :

The head gasket can take quite some boost as it is a metal one with a thin layer of rubber coating.

The pistons are good quality as 18 months of turbo and abbuse they were still unchanged (except from the debris of the turbo blades)

The con rods are thesame thickness of the yaris 1.3ltr as the shop happened to have a set to compare to.

The timing chain cover is a nightmare to remove in the car!

The clutch might cope with a bit of power up but the pressure plate had heat spots all over the contact face so didnt take it as good! (uprate to the yaris one its slightly bigger) .

This week i will deliver the car to the garage so they can start the convertion which is suppose to last from 1 to 2 weeks and cost a 1000 pounds including the engine.

Hi Newbie here,

Sorry to hear your problems with the turbo conversion.

Does the 1KR-FE engine has oil cooling jets for the pistons? Did you see any evidence of this whilst you had the engine open?

I guess the 4E-FTE engine weighs more compared to the 1KR engine?

Are you gong to stick with the engine mounted intercooler or going for a front mounted intercooler?

BTW good luck

Tim

Sorry to hear the turbo is toast, but an engine swap including the engine for a grand is not bad B)

I agree with Toecutter as to the obvious problem, though. The 1KR-FE is an aluminium engine weighing about 67kg. The 4E-FTE is a solid steel turbo engine which has got to be heavier by quite a bit.

Let us know how it goes!

Paul.

No didnt see any oil cooling jets (as they are usually on the con rods ) but i will check closely later , and about the heavier engine yes i guess it wouls be heavier by a bit but i will see how the springs will cope with the extra weight and then move from there cos im also planning to upgrade the brakes too!

No didnt see any oil cooling jets (as they are usually on the con rods ) but i will check closely later , and about the heavier engine yes i guess it wouls be heavier by a bit but i will see how the springs will cope with the extra weight and then move from there cos im also planning to upgrade the brakes too!

what kind of brakes upgrade are you planning?

what kind of brakes upgrade are you planning?

front and rear discs from the glanza (first have to check that they fit)

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links