Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Rx8 Or 190

celica140sport

hi all,

at the moment i have a 140 celica but not planning on keeping it i want some more umph. and im not sure what to get either a 190 the pre face lift version ( i dont like the look off the face lift front grill hate it) or a mazda rx8 prob will be the 228bhp version, i understand both have the be thrashed which i dont mind at all lol. i guess buying the rx8 will be just like having a 140 again with the oil lol so im hoping some1 can talk me into buying a 190

Thats a no brainer... FWD Corolla or a RWD ****el driven rex?

It's a tricky decision to be honest and you're not the 1st to make it. The Celica will be cheaper in almost all ways and as I have no experience with the Mazda, I would be slightly biased (even if gen7s are the enemy ;) ). IMO the RX8s actually look quite dated too. Still, they are awesome cars.

Get what you think will suit you best. If you are hoping someone will convince you to get a 190 then I think your decision has already been made.

Plus if you get bored of the power, you can easily supercharge it and it will ***** all over the RX8.

You cant beat RWD for fun if compared to a FWD unless its something like a DC2/DC5.

Regardless of how much power you get from a 190 its still FWD.

well ive never driven a RWD so i guess a test drive will tell me more. i want to see how good this lift is thou but i hope im nto expecting too much from it. i couldnt belive how cheap rx8s are to buy i thought they were alot more expensive.

Much as I love the Gen 7 - the lift is a really dumb idea by Toyota designers.

You have to hit 6,000 revs to get it...

Fine if you are on a race track or want to empty your fuel tanks but not practical for everyday driving.

i thought it started at 5 even worse lol! im used to to being about at my redline then. i take it its still really good to overtake with thou? also a question when going 50mph and you want to overtake what gear would u drop into i know in my 140 u drop into 3rd and ur at 3500rpm and so uve got no torque so if uve gotta be quick uve got to goo all the way down to 2nd

My mate has just brought an RX8 with the prodrive kit fitted. It's a beautiful car but no faster

than my 190, in fact it feels a bit slower but that's probably due to the smoother power delivery.

Downside is he's only getting 20-23mpg :eek: the main reason IMO why they are so cheap to buy now.

is that the 190bhp version thou. i would of thought the mazda should be alot quicker. the speed is really the only reason im leaning towards the mazda. i think the celica is better looking and it would keep the mrs happy havin a celica she loves it lol

i thought it started at 5 even worse lol! im used to to being about at my redline then. i take it its still really good to overtake with thou? also a question when going 50mph and you want to overtake what gear would u drop into i know in my 140 u drop into 3rd and ur at 3500rpm and so uve got no torque so if uve gotta be quick uve got to goo all the way down to 2nd

I find 3rd has all I need on my 190.

I had a test drive in an RX8 a few years ago. It's not so much the straight line speed but how much grip it has in the twisty stuff. Best way to test it is to use a piece of road you enjoy driving you current car on and compare the experience.

haha, drop the 190 into 2nd at around 50mph and you will be in lift....you will rocket past whatever you want to overtake...redlines at around 65mph in 2nd...I really like the RX8's too, but my mates does 40 miles to a tenner easy backroad driving :( ...he said its a lot harder than his old Civic Type-R and mk5 Golf GTi...

The 190 is pretty good on fuel IMO, it will do early 30's driven easily around town, and i've seen mid 40's mpg easy motorway cruising...

im not to fussed about fuel as my company pays for most miles i do, i have to say im after straight line speed and overtaking more than anying. and i know my 140 is good for overtaking as it is

im not to fussed about fuel as my company pays for most miles i do, i have to say im after straight line speed and overtaking more than anying. and i know my 140 is good for overtaking as it is

if you're looking to overtake people, I know my 190 has kicked every ***** that I felt deserved it (with the exception of a monster eclipse, 1 time). like blackcts said, once you're in lift you're a rocket. also bear in mind that the rx8 has a 13.2 power to weight ratio, whereas the GTS sits at 17.3

also a possible contender the astra coupe turbo. its a good job ive got untill december to decide this. i wish someone had done a rx8 vs celica and put it on youtube lol thanks for your help guys

also a possible contender the astra coupe turbo. its a good job ive got untill december to decide this. i wish someone had done a rx8 vs celica and put it on youtube lol thanks for your help guys

If you dont have to pay for fuel get a Maserati 3200 GT

They are the nuts mate, reliable 2+2 , understated italian supercar for the price of a secondhand jap

I looked a one the other day & am sorely tempted

http://search.autotrader.co.uk/es-uk/www/c...6/search.action

My mate has driven my Corolla T-Sport and reckons its definately faster than his 190 RX8....

understated but expensive lol i test drove an 228 rx8 today and omg i loved it im affraid to say. but gotta wait till december for it:( they offered me 5 grand as a part ex on it too which was rele god i thought my 140's done 64k

they offered me 5 grand as a part ex on it too which was rele god i thought my 140's done 64k

How old is your 140? I just got offered 3K for my X-reg 140 and it's only done 78K, not a huge amount more than yours.

Have u test drive the 190 celica ?? i like the DC5 bit expensive for me right now, i wanted a celica 140 but the salesman tried to rip me off so went else where & got the CTS lol guessing the rx8 190 be similer performance to the CTS /celica 190

mines x reg with 64k on the clock but mines got leather n sport pack so that mite make a difference. he started at 4k but moved up to 5 by the end of the test drive lol but the rx8 was out of this world to the my 140 apart from driving posision cant beat a celica for that i dont think.

I have recently sold my RX8 190BHP, and and just been test driving 190BHP Celicas and let me tell you, the RX8 is far faster and has power delivery across the full range of revs, and even though the power delivery is smooth you drop it a gear and you will get the kick-back feeling.

In comparison the Celica feels as slow as a 1.2 corsa. That said, the reason I sold the mazda is because the fuel is completely insane! I was averaging 14mpg driving hard and soft (and you are meant to drive the ****le hard to get better fuel eco). If fuel REALLY doesn't bother you, its the RX8 all the way, brilliant car really regret selling it, but for me £120 a week on petrol was not good, as well as £50 every 5 months on 5litres of oil!

I have just brought a 140bhp Celica and am waiting for it to be worked on before picking it up, as I cannot really tell a difference between that and the 190bhp until stupid revs so I will settle for better fuel eco.

If you dont have to pay for fuel get a Maserati 3200 GT

They are the nuts mate, reliable 2+2 , understated italian supercar for the price of a secondhand jap

I looked a one the other day & am sorely tempted

http://search.autotrader.co.uk/es-uk/www/c...6/search.action

Hi

Had a look at the Maserati, makes you think- all that for around £10k,and I don't do high mileage. I agree with Gordypix about having to hit 6000rpm to get lift, and I went for the 140. Still the lift would be handy for extreme overtaking!

extreme overtaking lol - thats just another word for overtaking when u shouldnt lol. well from what u said the rx8 is what im looking for. petrol well dont do that many miles and as i said work cover the petrol i do use. and as for oil ive just used 10 liters in 4 months so im used to that. only thing is all girls ive spoke to think the rx8 is ugly and love my celica. have to say thou the celica is beautiful prob why i brought it :D

B)

extreme overtaking lol - thats just another word for overtaking when u shouldnt lol. well from what u said the rx8 is what im looking for. petrol well dont do that many miles and as i said work cover the petrol i do use. and as for oil ive just used 10 liters in 4 months so im used to that. only thing is all girls ive spoke to think the rx8 is ugly and love my celica. have to say thou the celica is beautiful prob why i brought it :D

Pity the RX8 didn't come with a choice of engines. V6!!- and I would buy one B)

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links