Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Aygo Courtesy Car

Phoenix999

Well I had to take my Land Cruiser to the local Toyota body-shop for some malicious damage to be repaired.

The nice thing is that I have a courtesy car which is an Aygo Platinum. Now I rate the Aygo rather highly following the experience of driving my daughter's Black model. The problem I have with this courtesy car is that it is an automatic :huh: I have driven automatics for over 25 years but I can say that the auto box in this Aygo is without a doubt the worst I have ever driven :yucky:

The damn thing changes gear with such a serious time lag between gears that the car starts to slow down. OK the time it takes to change gear may only take 1 second but the changing is far from seamless in the way I have come to expect from all of my previous automatic cars and my Land Cruiser. The car has less than 2000miles on the clock so I doubt there is a fault with the gearbox.

I am sorry to all of you that have an auto model but heck there is no way I could own a car with such a gearbox :no:

Well I had to take my Land Cruiser to the local Toyota body-shop for some malicious damage to be repaired.

The nice thing is that I have a courtesy car which is an Aygo Platinum. Now I rate the Aygo rather highly following the experience of driving my daughter's Black model. The problem I have with this courtesy car is that it is an automatic :huh: I have driven automatics for over 25 years but I can say that the auto box in this Aygo is without a doubt the worst I have ever driven :yucky:

The damn thing changes gear with such a serious time lag between gears that the car starts to slow down. OK the time it takes to change gear may only take 1 second but the changing is far from seamless in the way I have come to expect from all of my previous automatic cars and my Land Cruiser. The car has less than 2000miles on the clock so I doubt there is a fault with the gearbox.

I am sorry to all of you that have an auto model but heck there is no way I could own a car with such a gearbox :no:

Hi There.

I too have only driven Automatics for years.

The reason for the long changes on the AYGO is because it is not a "Normal" auto 'box.

It is a computerised manual gearbox.

When it comes to "Change Gear Time", it operates the clutch, comes off the throttle,

changes gear, engages clutch and reapplies throttle.

If you were a blindfolded passenger, you would think you were in a manual.

They too slow down between changes.

It does take some time to get used to this kind of change, I found myself leaning forwards to

"help speed things up" when I first drove mine.

This is one of the reasons the manual & Auto Aygo have the same mpg and perfomance figures.

No power sapping torque converter, less weight, and simpler construction.

Give it a chance, think of it as a manual with no clutch pedal and you do get used to it.

Honest!

Ian.

Ian.... thank you for the reply and the information. I did not know that that the gearbox was made this way and it makes sense. I can feel the reduction of throttle power regardles of the fact that my foot remains on the accelerator pedal.

I think that I may only have the car for another day or two and I will keep an open mind with regard to the way it operates. I do however like the gearbox when driven in manual change mode. I used to have Nissans with the M6 auto/manual box and they can be great fun.

I am using this car for my work so will let you know how I get on. Thanks again :thumbsup:

Well after a decent amount of driving today I can say I rather like this car :)

I am still undecided about the gearbox though but I feel better about it now.... I'm sorry but I still prefer the standard style auto box but I do understand that Mr T had to keep the weight down on a car of this size.

The thing I do like is the way I can turn so much faster as the Aygo goes around the corners like it is on rails, but then I am comparing it to my LC :huh:

All in all I do like the Aygo and it is a really ideal car for town and city driving but with the ability to show what it can do up to the national speed limit and slightly beyond :blush::rolleyes:

Nissan had the best idea using CVT gearboxes in the small cars. Although my favourite is still a proper torque-converter automatic, at least CVT's were smooth, lightweight and didn't sap much power. Far superior to these automated manuals.

CVT is a Dutch invention :D

Sorry, couldn't resist :blush:

CVT is a Dutch invention :D

Umm, not quite, it's actually an Italian invention that was first used for vehicle transmissions by the British in 1922. The Daf Variomatic which i'm assuming your referring to didn't come along until 1958. :)

CVT......

In theory, a fantastic concept especially today when exact

ratio and engine fueling are computer controlled.

In practice, extremely difficult to manufacture to work reliably long term.

The rubber belts on the DAF wore out, the Ford system which used a steel

band to push segments round 2 pulleys wore the pulleys out.

Each manufacturer seems to have a go at it because it IS a good idea,

Economy wise, you cannot beat conventional gearboxes as there is no slip

or power loss. All you need is a quicker changing sysem. AUDI, Ferrari etc.

have the twin clutch system which is brilliant and like lightning but expensive.

The Aygo does a fantastic job with a more conventional single clutch.

It really is clever, It does hill starts on different gradients, car full or empty.

It knows when you are descending a hill and changes down for engine braking.

How long , how many stalled engines did it take before you could set off in all conditions?

Rant over...... Sorry, I like MMT.

The wifes Auto Civic is quicker though......

Ian.

Oh, by the way, I come from a Smart Car which had a broadly similar system.

Now that was sloooow. I could enter a roundabout then accelerate and no matter how

much I leaned forward and clenched the wheel, It was always hit & miss when you would power away.

I said to my wife on countless occasions, "If only this was japanese designed".

The sales manager at my dealership told me to avoid the toyota auto box at all costs.

Clunky jerky and far to slow to change!

I suppose if your and old granny like most aygo owners around my area!! its fine he he

Totally agree with Steve on the ponderous nature of the gearbox when it "auto" mode, it is so slow it is unusable.

However, I also agree with him about it in manual mode, with normal driving and revs it is as quick as a normal person changing gear and foolproof of course with no jerks. Best to let it change down itself though when coming to a stop or else you can go from 3rd to 1st as it changes just after you.

I only use the manual option on my MMT car , as does my wife.

Regards

Andy

Well today was my third full day of having the car and still I am undecided about the darn gearbox :blink: Oh but it is such fun to have the manual side of it, this really does bring back good memories of the Nissan M6 auto box.... blinking fast when pushed :D

Ok forgetting the gearbox.... I like the weight of the steering, the suspension feel and I rather like the funky spartan feel of the interior. I also like the way such a small car can accommodate a fat old man who is 6'4" tall :)

To Mr Toyota I have to say that you have a really good little car in the Aygo :thumbsup: but I have to go on to say that I am looking forward to getting back into my leather armchair called the Land Cruiser :P

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links