Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Xenons Yesss

BadBoyVTEC

For reference:

Before (Left bulb is standard and right bulb is imitation xenon):

gallery_25777_617_88277.jpg

After (Geniuine HID xenon Kit):

gallery_25777_617_1275918.jpg

Just outta curiosity isnt this illegal for our headlight type? Seen this video ages ago: -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVuSSdZNsZw

Basically long story short, halogen reflectors are not designed to reflect HID light patterns properly and end up blinding people.

Not ****** on your thread mate - job well done and i have seen quite a few city bugs with this conversion done, just thought i'd ask :)

I have set it to be as low to the ground as possible. Doesn't look like it should be a problem. I will do a test with someone as I drive past them to see if it does blind them just to confirm.

If it does pose a problem I will look at obtaining some headlights from a car orignally fitted with xenons and try and fit these into the aygo headlight unit. Perhaps some projector style ones.

If it does pose a problem I will look at obtaining some headlights from a car orignally fitted with xenons and try and fit these into the aygo headlight unit. Perhaps some projector style ones.

Giving you a hint at what i was asking FK Automotive and Hella to make for our cars, mentioning that there is "high demand" for this product ;) so fingers crossed

Jan van de Wouw could you tell me how the HID bulbs work please.

What do you want to know???

Just outta curiosity isnt this illegal for our headlight type? Seen this video ages ago: -

Basically long story short, halogen reflectors are not designed to reflect HID light patterns properly and end up blinding people.

So basically as it stands, a car fitted with after market HID lights would fail an MOT?

So basically as it stands, a car fitted with after market HID lights would fail an MOT?
Road Vehicle Lighting Regulations

1. The headlamp unit (outer lens, reflector, bulb) shall be type approved to ECE 98 and be "e-marked" to demonstrate this. That can only be done by the headlamp supplier - Hella, Valeo etc. who must test the headlamp in an independent laboratory.

2. Once fitted to the vehicle it must have headlamp cleaning and self-levelling (which can be for the headlamp or can be in the vehicle suspension - some cars have "self-levelling suspension" and that is adequate). Also the dipped beam must stay on with the main beam.

In summary it is not permitted to convert an existing halogen headlamp unit for use with HID bulbs. The entire headlamp unit must be replaced with one designed and approved for use with HID bulbs and it must be installed in accordance with the rules stated above.

Road Vehicle Lighting Regulations

1. The headlamp unit (outer lens, reflector, bulb) shall be type approved to ECE 98 and be "e-marked" to demonstrate this. That can only be done by the headlamp supplier - Hella, Valeo etc. who must test the headlamp in an independent laboratory.

2. Once fitted to the vehicle it must have headlamp cleaning and self-levelling (which can be for the headlamp or can be in the vehicle suspension - some cars have "self-levelling suspension" and that is adequate). Also the dipped beam must stay on with the main beam.

In summary it is not permitted to convert an existing halogen headlamp unit for use with HID bulbs. The entire headlamp unit must be replaced with one designed and approved for use with HID bulbs and it must be installed in accordance with the rules stated above.

Oh dear :(

gallery_25777_617_88277.jpg

You can already see the difference on the photograph; the HID light is a more scattered beam than the standard bulb.

Hence why i'm posting it up - just don't like seeing fellow members giving the Police any ammunition now that all the terrorists, burglars, thieves, rapists, murderers, peadophiles, asbo's, perverts and sadists are now locked away and off the streets :rolleyes:

Not ****** on your thread mate - job well done and i have seen quite a few city bugs with this conversion done, just thought i'd ask :)

I have had mine for nearly a year and i can say that yes they blind others especially those driving in front of you as the light is too bright in their mirrors ( almost had arguments at times as they stopped their cars in front of mine to tell me to switch to dim light) not much from opposite coming drivers togh!