Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Rod Knock?

mark3

Hi, do Celica's suffer from rod knock, a 98 1.8st and sounds like its No4 thats knocking but it only does it on rev increase, and the harder its reved the less it knocks? tends to make more noise when the throttle tickled, so to speak! lol

its very odd and i wonderd if its a common problem?

thanx in advance.

hio ya.

you are better ff posting on celica-club.co.uk or on 6gc.net for a quicker response.

Jay.

I have an ST with turbo and don't have that problem.

Jay

hio ya.

you are better ff posting on celica-club.co.uk or on 6gc.net for a quicker response.

Jay.

I have an ST with turbo and don't have that problem.

Jay

ok thanx....

I had a look over there, cant place a question with paying! so if anyone has any idea if worn big ends is the normal cause of the knocking i would be very greatfull.....

you can join for free on both TOC! and 6gc but in amswer to your queary if its a con rod theres a few reasons why it could knock little end or big end bearings worn or even the crank shells with out a proper inspection it would be hard to say but it shouldnt knock if running correctly

it shouldnt knock if running correctly

thanks for the reply, i sort of guessed it shouldnt knock if running correctly :wacko:

im looking at changing big end shells, it will buy a few years no doubt but dont want to take on a 4 hour job then find its the same, gona take an hour and half to expose the crank so i spose we could have a look and go from there!

the question is as before, is there a history of rod knock with the 6g Celica, this would explain the noise!

a lot depends how looked after ie serviced not boy raced but generally there pretty bullit proof engines how many miles has yours done but worth doing if your keeping

104,000, so high mileage, i seem to be thinking its quite rare for these engines to knock, as long as it the big and not little ends il be happy as it relatively easy to sort and its not too bad at the mo so i think i may get away with it for a while!

not gona remove and strip engine!

i have 173k on my 7a with turbo. Even the americans with 200k plus miles haven't moaned of knock. I think you should inspect...and good excuse for a rebuild with modded compression. ;)

• 4 months later...
i have 173k on my 7a with turbo. Even the americans with 200k plus miles haven't moaned of knock. I think you should inspect...and good excuse for a rebuild with modded compression. ;)

i never replied tothis, it was No4 hat had gone, shells where hammered to 1mm wider than the other bearings in 1,2 and 3....

replaced the shells as there was no crank journal damage visible and its still perfectly ok months on.....the owner has since past his test....

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links