Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

18" Alloys Against Mpg?

malpass

Has anyone fitted 18" to theirs and how has it effected your performance, handling and MPG?

I feel the biggest let down of the celica is its tiny wheels and really want to slap some 18" bad boys on there, but MPG is my biggest concern as I sold an RX8 for its fuel usage and the whole point of this car was to improve that!

As regards performance, the most important thing is not the size of the Wheel but the size of the Tyre. The most common mistake Gen 7 owners make is to fit 225/40/18 Tyres on the front Wheels which severely compromises acceleration.

If money is no object, go for a set of light weight OZ Rims with 225/35/18 front, 225/40/18 rear.

Although I run 18's during the Summer, 17's are re-fitted in the Autumn as they improve the handling noticeably. I don't think you would notice much difference MPG wise.

As regards performance, the most important thing is not the size of the Wheel but the size of the Tyre. The most common mistake Gen 7 owners make is to fit 225/40/18 Tyres on the front Wheels which severely compromises acceleration.

If money is no object, go for a set of light weight OZ Rims with 225/35/18 front, 225/40/18 rear.

Although I run 18's during the Summer, 17's are re-fitted in the Autumn as they improve the handling noticeably. I don't think you would notice much difference MPG wise.

I've been looking around and I might as well go for 17" wheels as when I compared them against my car I actually prefer the 17" now. So you say I should fit smaller tyres on the fronts than the rears even if I go with 17"s?

Also, I'm still quite disappointed with the wheels; I thought some wide open alloys would make the Huge arch gap look less significant, but even with 18" lopro's the car still looks like it is miles away from the wheels :-( Am I looking at a lot of hassle lowering it even by 10-15mm with regards messing the ride comfort and handling and mpg?

IMO, 17's offer a good compromise between looks, handling and cost. I have two sets of 17's inc. Tyres F/S on TOC! inc. Fondmetal Tech5 (Gen 7 GT) if you want to have a look. As regards Tyre size you could fit either the OE size of 205/45 or 215/45.

The answer to the Wheel Arch gap is to fit Toyota Team Europe Springs which lower by 26-30mm, as I've said many times, they should be the first mod. on any Gen 7 (except the GT which has them as standard).

IMO, 17's offer a good compromise between looks, handling and cost. I have two sets of 17's inc. Tyres F/S on TOC! inc. Fondmetal Tech5 (Gen 7 GT) if you want to have a look. As regards Tyre size you could fit either the OE size of 205/45 or 215/45.

The answer to the Wheel Arch gap is to fit Toyota Team Europe Springs which lower by 26-30mm, as I've said many times, they should be the first mod. on any Gen 7 (except the GT which has them as standard).

I'm trying to find the springs for sale on t'interweb but cannot find them. Anyone provide me with a link to some good lowering springs please?

TTE's are available from Toyota Dealers for £125+VAT supply only. If you want Mr T to fit them as well, the labour time is two hours. I'd recommend you have a Laser Wheel Alignment carried out after the Springs have "settled".

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links