Do Not Sell My Personal Information

0-60 In 8 Seconds & 45mpg

adilmon

I got fed up with insurance moaning if i tuned my diesel aygo, so i'm thinking of getting a second car. suzuki cappuccino is at the top of my list, but was wondering if there should be any other models i should consider??

I got fed up with insurance moaning if i tuned my diesel aygo, so i'm thinking of getting a second car. suzuki cappuccino is at the top of my list, but was wondering if there should be any other models i should consider??

Honda Beat maybe? as u seem to be looking at extremely small cars :)

Smart Coupe.

It is correct wheel drive ;)

I have had a cappuccino for the last 12 years,great little car.Go for it you wont regret it

Go have a drive in the latest revision of the Copen with the 1.3 engine in it, you`ll be very impressed.

Thanks for your suggestions. I've googled the stats for the car's mentioned. I really really like the shape of the honda beat, but they are so hard to find.

I was very surprised to read that the Cappuccino was about 2 seconds quicker than the Smart roadster Brabus (the price difference is about £5k)

The thing is, I don't really like the Cappucino's shape (a bit too girly). I was sure the Copen 1.3 would be quicker ('cos of the light chassis), but 0-60 is about a second slower.

I think I'm setteled on the Cappuccino now. If anyone takes the p1ss I'll point out that it's quicker than a 2.3litre V5 Golf gti. If that doesn't shut them up, I talk about the freudian significance of men wanting large cars ;)

Thanks again :)

If it's not too late how about a Mazda MX-5?

You'd then have a front wheel drive city car which is great and a rear wheel drive open top which is great covering all your bases. And both will not destroy the planet at the same time.

Regards

Andy

If it's not too late how about a Mazda MX-5?

You'd then have a front wheel drive city car which is great and a rear wheel drive open top which is great covering all your bases. And both will not destroy the planet at the same time.

Regards

Andy

Alas, it's too late. Thanks anyway. I picked up a Cappuccino moments ago (for a good price). It's only 660cc so probably wont put the rain forests in danger. (It's quicker on the 0-60 than most of the mx-5s as well)

First impressions: Wahay :D

With a title and sub title such as this i was actually expecting you to mention a car that does 0-60 in 8 seconds and 45 MPG.

CRAZY!!! I know.

To answer Lister2020, 0-60 in 8 seconds and 45mpg, I own such a car. A 1.9 CDTi Astra SRI with a tuning box added, around 200 bhp and still 45 mpg. Best of both worlds :thumbsup:

To answer Lister2020, 0-60 in 8 seconds and 45mpg, I own such a car. A 1.9 CDTi Astra SRI with a tuning box added, around 200 bhp and still 45 mpg. Best of both worlds :thumbsup:

You...... lucky person you.

And IMO the most uncomfortable seats ever. No offense.

Hmmm seats....before getting the Aygo my wife did try a Corsa but foud the seats unomfortable, the Astra's are similar but wider and I find them OK, certainly better than the Megane I had before which didn't seem to have any support for my thighs at all. I couldn't drive 260 miles between Hartlepool to Lowestoft (a very long 260 miles) without a stop to stretch my legs.

However, my wife is not too impressed with the Aygo seats :( , has anyone done any mods or changed them?

I would agree about the megane also but not the Aygo as I find these comfortable and also anyone who comes in my car with me thinks so.

The only time the seats seem to let me down is when cornering and then you have to re-adjust your bum if you slide across.

What are the figures for the Cappucino?

0-60 in 8 sec,

urban 36 mpg,

extra urban 52mpg,

88mph electronically limited top speed (115 mph without)

---

660cc turbo charged, intercooled, fuel injected, 3 cylinder, petrol. 4 valves per cylinder

700kg kerb weight

50:50 weight distribution

RWD

Saw one on the road the other day and was upset to see it had slightly faded paintwork (red) and that it didn't sound too healthy. But it is so dinky, its brilliant. Having a well looked after one of those could be quite a head turner.

• 2 weeks later...

My 2 cents worth ....I have owned Toyota Aygo and Suzuki Cappuccino(and MX5 /Citroen AX GT/Kadette GSi16v (faster euro version of "Astra GTE 16v")etc etc ).The Cap. is a VERY interesting car almost unique but not for everyone perhaps.It is very hard to get a good one nowadays ...to be honest they are getting a bit long in the tooth .RUST is a big issue which it really shouldnt be for a japanese car of its age.The red paintwork fades badly ...mmm ...actually the bad news is mostly rust related (but then again thats BAAAAD news-often structural/chassis rust not just bubbling on a wing kinda stuff.Economy is probably on a par with the Aygo -maybe even better (!?) which reflects the Aygos slightly disappointing real world mpg (about 52mpg in each?)

I doubt the Cappuccino does 0-60 in 8 point anything seconds ....Id be sure it slips into the 9s if not (VERY)low 10s.It is TINY ...I was often afraid of being 'run over' by lorries unseen...In fact crashing in this car doesnt really bear thinking about ...Its handling feels a LOT safer than the MX5s which is probably a Mega compliment but it is still rear wheel drive and thus potentially, no, literally treacherous in the wet and would be run rings around by practically any quarter decent front wheel drive hatch in the rain...

Luggage/storage space is ridiculous ...if you go alone you can get a weeks shopping / groceries in the passenger seat/footwell otherwise forget it.The boot is low and tiny...Seats are 'leatherette'/vinyl and VERY snug ...you really have to 'fall into' a Cappuccino -not for those with bad backs ...

All in all I would rate it higher than an MX5 (traditional 1.6 early model)but if you want genuine 8 secs 0-60 and 40mpg car going the petrol route how about a Citroen AX GT with some very minor mods/upgrades or an Astra GTE/GSi 16V...These will both be almost ,but not quite, as hard to get a good one nowadays...Of course if you are willing to pay big money for a diesel the skies the limit ...Might even manage 7 secs and 50mpg with a Golf GT TDi 150bhp...

By the way engines ARE quite tappety-not necessarily terminal...

Yes, the Idle Air Control (aka Idle speed control) valve is what usually causes the tapping (a small rubber ring gets worn away), but it definitely not terminal. It takes a little time for the idle speed to stabilise, but that's about it. The tapping at idle can't be the valve clearances because it has hydraulic lash adjusters.

You're right about the the rust issues on the Suzuki Cappuccino. When I bought mine I spent more time looking under the car than over it. The owner was a bit confused, but I had to be sure I was buying a good one. I've recently removed all the cabin furniture and carpet and waxoyled everything. Also waxoyled the arches, bellypan and sills. Basically, the cappuccino is in very good nick and I know I can hold onto it for a few years and sell it for a profit. Depreciation is excellent, because it's rare, the nearest rival (Smart Roadster) is slower and twice as expensive.

I have to disagree ref the 0-60 being around the 9 second mark. I've thrashed the life out of it and managed under 9 sec. I'm sure if I was a little more precise with the gear changes I could do better. 99ron fuel also makes a difference.

Real road driving is between 41-44mpg for me so far. I had a '93 Renault Clio 1.4Rt, which really struggled to get over 30mpg, so I think the mpg is exceptional for it's age. Come to think of it £120/yr VED is not too shabby either

It's true you can't take the rear wheel drive for granted in the rain, but loosing the back should not come as a surprise to all but the most inexperienced drivers. The chassis is set up to give a little bit of understeer before the oversteer arrives. This is all the warning I need.

In the dry (the main useage period for a covertible) it's fantastic. Compared to my diesel Aygo, 35mph corners become 45mph corners. It's may not sound like much, but when you're sat low enough to touch the ground (when the door is open), it feels much more dramatic. The only downside to sitting so low is that I get more headlight glare from oncoming traffic at night.

Turns out the Vinyl seats have survived better that the cloth or leather seats fitted on the imported cars. Most people (including myself) mistake the vinyl seats for leathers. I'm quite tall, so falling into the seats is easier with the roof off.

Yes, storage space is stupidly small, but it's only 10 litres less than an MX5. Most people forget the luggage rack behind the headrests. If the roof is down (in the boot) it propbably won't even carry your weekly food shopping. Bottom line is that it's a roadster, not a family hatchback. It's tiny so the common red models are probably safer that the silver ones because they're more visible. It's true, I wouldn't want to be in an accident in one either even though is has a relative long engine bay, side impact bars and roll bar. The cappuccino starts and finishes below the windows of most 4x4s, so it's best to assume they haven't seen you

I thought about the Citroen AX GT, but the lift off oversteer, poor reliability and boy-racer image issues put me off.

I'm starting to believe the Cappccino is a future classic: Emmissions controls are making it more and more diffucult to make a fun, affordable, sub 10 second car nowadays. In fact, it was emmisions controls brought into effect in 1995 which halted their european sales. The only light at the end of the tunnel is the hybrid powertrains which should be making more frequent appearances in 2010

capuccino205fi5.th.jpg

cappuccino101994fz4.th.jpg

I agree with you on the future classic, they are a rare breed of car for sure.

I drove one years ago and really liked it, kind of makes me want to buy a Copen as a modern day rival, but my ego just cant do it :( :rolleyes:

Provided the market doesnt get flooded by a wave of grey imports (It should of happened by now) then all should be well :thumbsup: