Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

0-60 In 8 Seconds & 45mpg

adilmon

If it's not too late how about a Mazda MX-5?

You'd then have a front wheel drive city car which is great and a rear wheel drive open top which is great covering all your bases. And both will not destroy the planet at the same time.

Regards

Andy

Alas, it's too late. Thanks anyway. I picked up a Cappuccino moments ago (for a good price). It's only 660cc so probably wont put the rain forests in danger. (It's quicker on the 0-60 than most of the mx-5s as well)

First impressions: Wahay :D

6 months later & I think I've the best of both worlds. Couldn't envisage selling the Aygo because of it's excellent economy and chuckable handling. Couldn't be without the acceleration and agility of the cappuccino.

BMW 123d

0-62 in 7 seconds

54.3mpg combined cycle.

very very tempting!

BMW 123d

0-62 in 7 seconds

54.3mpg combined cycle.

1. But not at the same time.

2. Most people would not be seen dead in one.

Honestly, this is a Toyota forum. I am quite within my rights to take the mickey :D

Paul.

Mercedes SLK?

The 230 kompressor does 0-60 in 6.9 and returns 41.4mpg extra urban. With a careful drive im sure you could get 45mpg ;)

Also you can buy an off the shelf supercharger pulley upgrade for $600 which alone boosts power from 200bhp to 240bhp.

if a car claims to do so many miles to the gallon you can bet that you wont get that exact amount out of it.

The aygo is meant to do over 61mpg. I havent heard of one person who has this in their aygo :(

I have an Aygo, not the BMW 123d I mentioned above. I agree the BMW's not going to do 0-62 in 7s and 54mpg at the same time - but what car is?

Trying to claim figures from extra-urban cycles (the Merc above) with added mpg for "careful driving" is cheating, surely!

My Aygo has given overall 58.3mpg over 45000 miles, but several tanks of petrol have averaged well over 60mpg, with a couple of tanks over 70mpg.

Still have to give BMW credit for what sounds like an engine with impressive figures. The coupé does look a lot better than the hatchback, IMHO, and if I was given one tomorrow I wouldn't have a problem being seen in it (preferably alive rather than dead).

I've had near 70mpg out of mine.

Did a run from Reading to Swansea and back. Stuck at 55mph most of the way there and back. managed approx 550miles from a single tank ;) (Filled to the neck and read the trip when the last block started flashing)

I've had near 70mpg out of mine.

Yeah, from day one I knocked 10mpg off the quoted Aygo figures. I was overjoyed to avg 90mpg from Gatwick to bournemouth, but I was really concentrating on driving eco. Normal driving is in the mid 60s, but I've got the diesel version. I've never returned below 57mpg

33bekvm.jpg

The Cappuccino does regularly return over 40mpg. Best was 47mpg, worst was 39mpg.

2napn6c.jpg

5038ex.jpg

It's so difficult to make a car that is all things to all people. That said, I'd be happy with the Vauxhall VX220 turbo (0-60 4.5 sec and 33mpg) :)

It's so difficult to make a car that is all things to all people. That said, I'd be happy with the Vauxhall VX220 turbo (0-60 4.5 sec and 33mpg) :)

Nice choice, I like them myself as well. It always seemed a better bet than than the Elise, the Vauxhall engine is very reliable and you can easily get it up to 240bhp with not much cost and I don't really think you need more performance than that to be honest. As you say fuel consumption is good for the peformance and the car is simple, so not as many things can go wrong with it. It would make a lot better buy than say a "cheap" Porsche 993/996/Boxster when it comes to servicing and bills in general.

My current non Aygo wish list is

Audi R8 V10

Mercedes C63 estate

with the Ayo that should cover all the bases.

Regards

Andy

Ive owned some of the cars mentioned in this thread and wanted to comment anyway so here goes...

If you are fairly well heeled a Lotus Elise sounds likeone possibility .

If you are skint then an (old!) Citroen AX GT will fit the bill but feels as if its made of paper and niggly little unrelibility issues will annoy-8.9 sec/42-49 mpg.

The Cappuccino is a nice LITTLE car -dont plan to carry a bag of shopping AND a passenger.I was often terrified lorries would not see me and drive over me ...no need to use rear view mirror as you can see behind with slightest flick of head -like driving in a goldfish bowl....8.9/45-55mpg -probably as good or better than the Aygo on juice!High revving engine you either love or hate ....

MX5 -will struggle to get near 40mpg and is not much faster than the Cappuccino 8.7/36mpg

Many nice cars will do high 30s to low 40s mpg and be more than fast enough for you ...Astra GTE 16V /Celica all getting a bit old I suppose heck what about a BMW 320d or even 330d!!!

When comparing diesels its worth noting that you need to return closer to 50mpg to compare to 45mpg from a petrol as the fuel is around 10% more expensive.

Well, 45mpg from a Lotus Elise, I managed 55mpg ONCE! (leading a friend in 1.4 corolla from N. to S. Wales). Drove back with a little more vigour to return 35mpg which is what I get day in, day out. So not quite the 45mpg required, but it is possible, and you do get a 0-60 in sub 6secs (and the small matter of sublime handling). Figures for k series variant, mpg is significantly lower for the heavier Toyota engined cars.

Must say that the 1.8 and 2.0 BMW diesels are remarkable engines. The latest 2.0 (177bhp version) can power a huge 5 series estate to 60 in around 8.5 (and more importantly deliver very usable mid-range acceleration) and genuinely return 50mpg.

Regards, Neil

Got the suzuki cappuccino on a dyno today. I was very pleased to discover the extent of suzuki's lies

Suzuki quoted:

65 bhp @ 6000 rpm,

87Nm torque @ 4000 rpm

Measured:

75.1 bhp @ 7600 rpm ( 95% available at 6000 rpm)

89Nm torque @ 5600 rpm (95% available at 3600 rpm )

At the suzuki quoted rpm bhp was 72 bhp and 88 Nm. That is 114 bhp/litre and 109 bhp/ton Vs my Aygo 39 bhp/litre and 67 bhp/ton

The loophole was the kei car regulations didn't specify if the max allowable 65bhp measurement was taken from the crank shaft or wheel. Suzuki took the measurement from the wheel and it is rumoured that thicker oil was used to exaggerate transmission loses

Aside from that, I suppose one option would be to have something with 2 wheels to keep the Aygo company. I rarely use the boot and am looking for a decent folding bicycle.

• 3 weeks later...

The culprit (in case you were wondering)

15rfnsn.jpg

Hmmm... anyone squeezed a Hayabusa into one of those? Now that would be a liability... ;)

I know someone putting a twin turbo Busa into one of these right now. Also a RX7 rotary engine is in the works as well

TT Hayabusa! In that tiddly thing!

Love to know how the conversation with the insurers goes after that slight modification! :D

• 10 months later...

Alas, in this recession it is too risky/expensive to run a 2nd car just for fun.

However, I've managed to cut down to 2 wheels

2el6mu8.jpg

Reading through all this post some interesting cars and ideas, but i just couldn't buy anything unless it has a Toyota Badge on it.

Actually that's a lie. I could own only one none Toyota car... a 1966/67 Chevy Impala CC 3Door. Beautiful car.

But that's unlikely. :P

Well, it's a Honda, so reliability can't be too bad.

It's gets about 55mpg with 0-60mph around 6 seconds, which is slow by bike standards

Would you seriously recommend a Cappucino over an MX5?

I'm thinking about getting an MX5 in Aug/Sep but the Cappucino is also tempting... They seem pretty similar in terms of speed, I heard the MX5 handling was awesome though?

Would you seriously recommend a Cappucino over an MX5?

I'm thinking about getting an MX5 in Aug/Sep but the Cappucino is also tempting... They seem pretty similar in terms of speed, I heard the MX5 handling was awesome though?

Handling is pretty close. The Cappuccino is lighter and tyres are cheap, but you will find it expensive to find replacement parts. Also the Cappuccino is not as practical as the MX5 and is better if you are less than 6'2" tall. The reputation on the MX5 being a hairdresser's car is the main down side for me.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links