Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Anyone Own A Boxer

cfc1

For a while now we have been thinking of getting a dog and I quite like the Boxers, they are like 6 week old puppies all their lives, so full of life and so much fun to be with. They are most deffinately not for anyone who wants a lap dog thats for sure.

Anyway... the other day I deceided to call BWS (Boxer Welfare Scotland) who are a registered charity who deal with abandoned Boxers and are always looking for suitable people to adopt one or two. We have filled in the online form and had the return phonecall which is the first step towards getting a dog, the next step is a home check, where they come and check that the house and garden etc are acceptable for a Boxer, we are getting our home check on Thursday evening.. talk about feeling like your waiting on exam results or something :lol:

We have our fingers crossed that it all goes well, then we can get a few visits at the kennels to see whatever dog (or dogs... as they also look for people to adopt bonded pairs) they think will suit us best, we get to visit the dog 2 or 3 times before we can take it home.

So.. any of you lot got a boxer?

Good luck with the doggy adoption Davy :thumbsup:

They always say "Give a dog affection and it will return it 100%"......It's true ;)

That's great Davy, although we don't own a Boxer, we re-homed a Border Terrier nearly 3 years ago for our 8 year old jack Russell (owner bought two from the same litter - a big no-no) and she's been great.

My friend re-homed a mongrel terrier cross recently and she had to jump through hoops to have her. I think it's great that people like you and your family are prepared to re-home rather than buy and I also think it's great that you do have to be vetted before owning a dog, plenty of people shouldn't even be allowed to have them but do.

Good luck with it all, he/she will always put a smile on your face! :)

Well done. You went down the right road. Too many people get dogs from Puppy farms.

I have always had a leaning towards Boxers. They are mad, affectionate & lovable. I hope you are energetic, & you will certainly be fit, very soon :lol:

I have always been , mainly, a dog person, my last being an Irish Red Setter (R.I.P) which are wired to the moon also.

I was considering getting another dog, recently. but took into consideration that I'm not as young as I used to be (nuff Said :( ) & am consuming a great deal of tablets (prescribed :rolleyes: ) so in 10 years time, while the dog would still be very active, I mightn't be, if here at all.

Solution was, I took on 2 mad kittens from the Cats Rescue Society, & had it not been for the fact that the Lady I contacted was a friend of my late Wife, I would have had to go through the vetting process, too.

Good luck with the new addition(s) to your family :thumbsup:

Apologies for being totally off Topic, but train of thought (or word association :lol: )

I am not a boxing fan, but doesn't it say a lot for the man, that when Boxer is mentioned Cassius Clay/Mohamed Ali is the 1st name that springs to mind, in spite of all the "Greats" before & after?

I spell checked that & would have sworn that Mohamed was spelled Mohammed. Spell check must be right :(

All i can say is..... your mad - be prepared for a LOT of drool :!Removed!: , boxers drool like crazy , my best friend used to have two and they were too overbearing for me - they seek attention constantly , i mean im not a dog person at the best of times but boxers are just too much they have to be near you all the time! Its worse than having a child!

On a more serious note , they can be quite prone to illness , my friends first one died at a year old with a tumor and the next one died at two years old ( cant remember what from) , it broke her heart and she didnt get another one after that.

Its nice that your adopting but i think you need to seriously consider what your letting yourself in for , they are a handful

Good luck if you do decide to go for it - hopefully they will be happy and healthy for you :thumbsup:

All i can say is..... your mad - be prepared for a LOT of drool :shutit: , boxers drool like crazy , my best friend used to have two and they were too overbearing for me - they seek attention constantly , i mean im not a dog person at the best of times but boxers are just too much they have to be near you all the time! Its worse than having a child!

On a more serious note , they can be quite prone to illness , my friends first one died at a year old with a tumor and the next one died at two years old ( cant remember what from) , it broke her heart and she didnt get another one after that.

Its nice that your adopting but i think you need to seriously consider what your letting yourself in for , they are a handful

Good luck if you do decide to go for it - hopefully they will be happy and healthy for you :thumbsup:

Possibly they are like Alsatians, in that they are too inbred. This can lead to health problems. For good health you can't beat a Heinz (57 varieties) i.e. Mongrel :lol:

- they seek attention constantly

....they can be quite prone to illness....

As far as illness goes there are a lot of breeds that are prone to certain illnesses and yes, your right about Boxers being prone to some too... but as far a Tumors etc go they are no more prone than other breeds such as Dalmations. I have read quite a lot about them and have also spoken through some things with Boxer Welfare Scotland and there isn't anymore of risk in a Boxer getting ill than almost any other breed...

Cancer is now the leading cause of disease-related death in dogs. Genetic and environmental factors have an important effect on the occurrence of cancer as well as prevention, diagnosis and treatment. Dogs and people are susceptible to many of the same types of cancer. The shorter life span of dogs and the availability of extended pedigrees with detailed family histories, provide a unique opportunity to study the causes and treatments of cancer that may benefit both dogs and people.

Ten years ago if a veterinarian was asked the breed with the highest incidence of cancer the answer would have been, unquestionably, the Boxer. Since that time several other breeds have been recognized as having a predisposition to certain cancers among them the Golden Retriever, Rottweiler, and Bernese Mountain Dog. Other breeds with a relatively low incidence of cancer include the Beagle, Poodle, Collie and Dachshund. Why do some breeds have a high rate of cancer while some others are rarely affected by it? The answer will come through the study of molecular biology and genetics.

- they seek attention constantly

We know exactly what we are letting ourselves in for, our neighbour over the road has 3 of them and all 3 are completetly and unterly mental, but... there are so much fun it's difficult not to play with them. They (Boxers in general) crave companionship and love to be around people.. they thrive on attention, they also give a whole lot of love back towards whover is caring for them which is reward in itself.

We had the homecheck carried out yesterday and we thought it went quite well, earlier today we got a phone call from BWS and they said we had been accepted and that they will give us a suitable dog, they don't think a young dog would be a good idea as we have never owned a boxer ourselves before (but thats not to say they wouldn't give us a young dog should we prefer) instead they recommended that a dog around the ages of 4 - 7 years old could be ideal. We are now waiting on a call to arrange a visit to the kennels to get introduced to a dog and see how we all get on... I really can't wait :)

Well done for giving a Boxer a good home :) , must say I'm not a boxer lover but over the last year or so there seems to be a more popular trend to keep their tails long, seen a few round my way with full tails, to me it just looks better and i guess less cruel getting them cut, maybe you can educate me :rolleyes: was the docking of tails just a pedigree thing or was there a medical reason ?

Anyway good luck hope the home check goes to plan :)

Tail docking was carried out for "medical" reasons.. as in to prevent tail damage (mostly on working dogs) the practice of tail docking is now illegal in the UK so you will now see more and more dogs with their natural long tails.

The ban on tail docking came into force on April 6, 2007 in England, and March 28 2007 in Wales and at the end of April in Scotland. The British Parliament passed the Bill with the exemption to the ban for working dogs. Scotland accepted the Act with no exemptions.

Just had a call from Boxer welfare offering us....

ee548534.jpg

This beautiful pair are called TJ & Rojo. TJ is white and is 7 years old while Rojo is 5 1/2. They are in kennels through no fault of their own and are both just gorgeous and loving.

They are great with children and would just love a home of their own - soon!!

They would have to be the only dogs in the house as Rojo isn't good with other dogs and we only rehome where there is boxer experience and no children under the age of five.

We aren't quite there yet with these two as Rojo can be a bit of a handfull when around other dogs, we are trying to set up a meeting where they will let us hold TJ and Rojo and do a walk past with other dogs to see how we cope, they have also expressed a slight concern over the height of our fence (it's 3ft) and if Rojo see's another dog she might jump over it lol, so they have suggested we put up some trellis to make it a little higher.

TJ also has a slight medical problem that will need to be sorted, nothing serious and an easy fix, so all being well we will have TWO additions to the family :)

My sister has a boxer and she is fantastic!!!!

She's as daft as a brush aswell!! (the Boxer that is!!)

My sister has a baby and the dog lets her crawl all over her and she pulls her ears and everything and she dont bat an eye lid!

And the dog dont drool that much, she's very clean and she was easy to house train.

I think you should get a boxer!!

xx

i must say i am not a massive boxer fan but TJ and Rojo are gorgeous!!!

i have a border collie and she is mad as a hatter!!!! she like to wee on jappybeast when she sees him.

hope everything goes to plan for you and they settle in well! :D

xx

Good luck with the doogies Davy. Looks like you are in for a fun few years with those two. ^_^

Today was the day when we went to visit the dogs at the Kennels, as we drove up both dogd were out for a walk while they waited for us to arrive. We got out of the car and both TJ and Rojo ran towards us... talk about getting covered in slobber :lol:

We played with the dogs for a while, took them for a walk and we all got on really well... so well we now have them home with us :D TJ and Rojo have settled well so far, they have been exploring their new home and Rojo has already found the place she likes to lie down in, TJ on the other hand seems to have made friends with our oldest son and never leaves him alone :lol:

So far so good :).. will try and gets some photo's later on tonight and post them up, we are all very happy bunnies.

Great news! Are they both females?

If they've always lived together it won't be long before they settle in. I always think it's nice to have two or more dogs, they can do their dog things like battle and play, and still enjoy the human attention.

Remember, your dog's aren't spoilt, you're just well trained! :D :yes:

Look forward to the piccies.

The dogs are slowly getting us trained up to how they like us... 1 male TJ.. and a the female is Rojo... They are the best of friends.

Well done....look forward to some new photo's when you get time :)

The dogs are slowly getting us trained up to how they like us... 1 male TJ.. and a the female is Rojo... They are the best of friends.

Male & female get on better as 2 females can tend to fight over leadership. We have a male and female, Meg thinks she is the boss & Dylan let's her think she is!

If they are best mates, you'll have no problems.

Aw happy families eh!! I foresee lots of exercise for the boys n dogs in the future ............................... :rolleyes:

May you all have many happy years together :D

They're adorable Davy!

I see Callums doing well as well!

I'll expect to see TJ & Rojo at TOC Camp next year! ;)

i have a boxer too mate, so much fun with them an great dogs. mine isn't bad really for slobber, did chew the house up bit when he was younger but doubt it you'll have problem like that as it was when he was teething an has done it for ages. met loadsa other boxers an they've all been great too an there funny together, mine was playin with 4 other boxers on park the other day. couple of my friends have boxers too, mine is very well behaved and does as he's told most of time, unless he's off playin with another dog. i've had few little problems with one boxer of my friends, think this is down to his training an that tho, cos no other boxer is like him, he's very aggressive an has gone for me once an i just don't trust it, nothing like mine i have great little fights with mine but can't do nothing like that with my mates tho. anyway good luck with them mate hope you have loadsa fun with them

they are beautiful dogs!

i have a boxer, and have been brought up with them. they are the best family pets i know. our (uncastrated) male is the gentlest, most loving thing i know. he's soppy with the kids, but at the same time, he looks ferocious enough to scare away a burglar. i'd trust him with anything. he lets our chickens steal food as he's eating. and my 18month old often plays 'steal the bone and run away' with him. he's patient and loyal. but bundles of fun too.

one thing to remember is that they are big dogs. they need to know their status in your family 'pack'. as long as that is clear, they're quite happy to be at the bottom of it. i guess you'll know all the ways to do this (walk through doors before them, never feed them until after you've eaten, don't let the kids roll around 'submissively' on the floor) but google it if you don't.

about the fencing situation, ours once cleared the 6 foot fence between us and a neighbour when his toy got thrown over 'accidentally' by my son. the neighbours were in their garden at the time and got the fright of their lives. Boxers can really jump!

our dog is very chilled out and laid back, people often presume all boxers are crazy. we love him, and couldn't imagine life without him in our family. as i'm writing this, he is dropping bits of his lunch out of his jowls onto the floor and eating them, i think he saves them up for a snack.

oh, and other dogs HATE him. they beat him up. he thinks they're playing, but they're not. they can't handle his playing style (jumping, excesive bum sniffing).

• 3 weeks later...

I can't believe how quickly these two have settled in, you would think they have been here for years. They are really enjoying themselves and getting spoiled rotten...

TJ has found a great toy to play with....

e700a156.jpg

08c2fb17.jpg

...but only when Rojo let's him :lol:

e262b670.jpg

6ddbacb1.jpg

TJ always wins in the end, but only because Rojo would rather chase her ball around...

5400857a.jpg

bbe729f5.jpg

086a17d3.jpg

I'm also getting fitter too... never walked so much in ages.. and I'm enjoying every minute of it :lol:

I have ordered a couple of Bandana's for them.. Rojo also lets us put t-shirts etc on her, next time we do it I'll post a picture of her.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links