Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Yaris Remote Key Help Please

nickp8

You can waste a lot of money trying to figure this out; The Mk1 Yaris alone can use one of THREE different transponder systems - Valeo, Denso or Tokai Rika.

The most straight-forward way of getting it sorted is to get Toyota to do it; They will be able to order the right part and code it in.

Unless you're quite techie and don't mind wasting hours of research and trial-and-error, I'd recommend doing that.

If you don't mind losing the remote functionality, you can just get your key cloned and cut by most auto locksmiths.

If you want the remote, you MUST figure out what kind of transponder you have (It should be written on the original key somewhere, or you can try to infer it by the shape and style of the key blade), then you can try hunting around on eBay. I do not recommend this tho' as there is NO guarantee that even if you get the right transponder, that it will work. There seems to be something else that can stop the immobilizer being coded into the ECU.

I was never able to code my 2nd hand eBay transponder to my ECU, although I managed to program it to remote lock and unlock the doors okay. Ended up getting the transponder of my original key cloned and stuck the chip inside the key case in front of the remote module!

You can avoid the hassle and wasted money of this and buy a complete key from Toyota or just the Transponder module and attempt to program it yourself. I believe the programming instructions are slightly different depending on which of the 3 transponder systems you have.

On a relevant tangent, My franken-eBay key broke last week (The buttons somehow tore off the PCB!!) and I bought a transponder module from the 'good' Toyota garage near me for £97 (The 'bad' one wanted £120!), sans key so I didn't need my V5C (Although for some reason it's £1 cheaper to buy a complete key+transponder?!).

I was going to give them the £60 (The 'bad' Toyota garage wanted £80!!!) to code it but they were booked up for 3 weeks (!!) so I tried all the programming instructions on here and managed to do it myself!

For reference, the instructions I used were:

Remote Programming:

1. Open the drivers door.
2. Insert the pre-programmed working key into the ignition lock then remove it. Dont turn the ignition on.
3. Within 40 seconds: Close and open the drivers door twice, then
4. Insert the new key into the ignition then remove it. Dont turn the ignition on.
5. Within 40 seconds: Close and open the drivers door twice, then
6. Close the drivers door, then
7. Insert the new key into the ignition and turn the ignition on then off (Once to ADD or Twice to Erase All and Add), then
8. Remove the new key, then
9. The central locking should now lock then unlock (Once or Twice).
10. Press the lock and unlock on the remote at the same time for 1.5 seconds
11. Within 3 seconds, press the lock button on the remote for 1 second.
12. The central locking should lock and unlock once.
13. If the central locking locks then unlock twice then the sequence has not been successful. Try again.
14. Open the drivers door to complete the sequence.

Immobiliser:
1. Enter the car and close all of the doors.
2. Simultaneously depress and release both the brake and accelerator pedals.
3. Within five seconds, insert a working pre-programmed key into the ignition cylinder, and turn to the "on" position.
4. Within fifteen seconds of turning the ignition, depress and release the accelerator pedal FIVE times for a primary key
5. Within twenty seconds, depress and release the brake pedal SIX times for a primary key.
6. Turn the ignition to the "off" position and immediately remove the key.
7. Within ten seconds of removing the key, insert the new key and turn it to the "on" position.
8. Within ten seconds, depress and release the accelerator pedal once. The security light will then flash for 60 seconds and then turn off. When the security light stops flashing the programming should be complete.
9. Start the vehicle to verify that programming was successful.

This worked for a Mk1 Yaris T-Spirit D4D on a '54 plate equipped with a Tokai Rika system. The timing is pretty tight so you have to be quick and accurate; Took me 7 goes for the remote and 5 tries for the immobilizer!!

YMMV!

• 3 months later...

I have lost my Toyota yards 1999 car key which does not open or close the doors but only start engine there is no spare one is there any way can programme an key so that I an use your car or have I no other way

If that was the last key you're basically screwed; If you have key cover on your insurance, this is the time to invoke it!

The cheapest course of action from there would be to somehow contrive a car thief steal your car and get it back on insurance...

All other options require new ECU and locksets; A new one from Toyota will almost certainly cost more than the car is worth; You might be able to get a set, with lock barrels and keys, from a breakers yard.

But first just look really damned hard for that key!!!

• 6 years later...

Hi all 

I have a 2003 1lt yaris which came with 1  remote key 

I have brought a new Shell , had key cut and brought a matching Valeo transponder  (original key is Valeo)

managed to code the central locking within minuets ( thanks for the instructions) 

however…

cannot for the life of me code it to the immobiliser , I have tired all 3 different methods and nothing has worked ! 

Everything goes well until “After 1 minute security warning lamp will stop flashing

this light just never goes out or sometimes starts flashing more rapidly after the 60 seconds 

The light is out the whole process before hand 

any help would be appreciated !

It's a bit weird that one as the programming instructions, esp. the security light flashes, don't always match the instructions.

Did you try and see if it started the car anyway?

The immobilizer programming is much more difficult than the remote for some reason; I had to do it many many times before I was able to do it quickly enough for it to code, and that was with a fresh remote block module thing from Toyota!

However, as I mention above, I never got the one I bought from eBay to code, and in the end I got the auto locksmith (Who also couldn't get it to code) to clone the code of my existing working key to an RFID chip and bluetacked it inside the key case (I had switched to one of those eBay flip-keys as the Toyota key was so long I got tired of stabbing my leg with it in my pocket :laugh:, so there was a lot more empty room inside for the RFID chip; Will be trickier with a normal Toyota key case as there isn't much empty space in them...)

You can do it with techsteam as you have the main key takes 5 mins

you can do it manually, but it takes 45 mins

Hi all 

would firstly like to say thanks for the replies, this forum had been really helpful 

cyker I have tried starting the car with new key and it just cranks over like before also the security light doesn’t go out with the new key ( it does go out when the original is inserted )

Another problem I’m having is I’m not sure what method to keep trying as I’ve tried all 3 listed on the forum 

i guess it just a case of trial and error untill one works or just get the original one cloned ( I feel I’m too far invested to give up now !)

Flash22 no I haven’t tried that yet as I honestly don’t know how to do it. Thinking some more research is needed first ! 

5 hours ago, flash22 said:

Have you tried the manual method by linking the obd pins ?

What's the process for that method...?

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links